This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• rosemary= grossest spice ever.
    Boy, I will put the combined energy of all of my Spanish ancestors dating back to the Celtibarian tribes in the 4th millenia BC into my right hand and bitch slap you through time to the Heat Death of the universe.
    Pete, I have your solution:The PolyScience smoke gun.Thank Achatz for molecular gastonomy.
    That's 100 bucks, and a thing of wood chips is about 6 bucks. I think smoked salt is a more economical way to go here.
    No wok smokehouse?
  • No wok smokehouse?
    My wok is nonstick. I suppose I could buy a wok just to make a smokehouse, but eh. I'm more inclined to have a goddamn smoker.

Besides, now I'm fixated on this smoked salt idea. I MUST TRY IT! SCIENCE DEMANDS IT!
  • No wok smokehouse?
    My wok is nonstick. I suppose I could buy a wok just to make a smokehouse, but eh. I'm more inclined to have a goddamn smoker.

Besides, now I'm fixated on this smoked salt idea. I MUST TRY IT! SCIENCE DEMANDS IT!
    Do it with salmon in addition to pork belly. Worst-case scenario? Smoky gravlax. Then again, that could also be a best-case scenario.
  • edited February 2011
    So, I was like, "The internet should see my cooking! Show my e-friends while I cook!" So, that's what I'm doing, and my sister is helping take pictures. She also demands awesome credit.
    I had some HEB Fully Cooked frozen patties, and since I didn't want to make patties, I just seasoned them with:
    • Garlic Powder
    • McCormick Grill Mates Hamburger seasoning
    • Salt
    • Pepper (the good kind that your crush on your own)
    Normally I'd use some Lawry's Seasoned Salt, but i don't have any. Anyways, you cook these like normal. Also, staring them down helps.
    In a bit I'll post about the fajitas and the rest of the pizza.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Smoky gravlax. Then again, that could also be a best-case scenario.
    I was trying to find a way to make salmon bacon. This may provide that avenue.

A good fatty belly fillet should do the trick.

Oh god I need to do this so much now.
  • Boy, I will put the combined energy of all of my Spanish ancestors dating back to the Celtibarian tribes in the 4th millenia BC into my right hand and bitch slap you through time to the Heat Death of the universe.
    Thats fine with me. Since time is cyclical that means I will be the cause of the new Big Bang. And will use all of my power to make it so rosemary never exists.
  • Smoky gravlax. Then again, that could also be a best-case scenario.
    I was trying to find a way to make salmon bacon. This may provide that avenue.

A good fatty belly fillet should do the trick.

Oh god I need to do this so much now.
    Me too. Stocking up on smoked salt and belly salmon the next time I'm in Chicago. Blowing people's minds with my mad cooking skills.
    Boy, I will put the combined energy of all of my Spanish ancestors dating back to the Celtibarian tribes in the 4th millenia BC into my right hand and bitch slap you through time to the Heat Death of the universe.
    Thats fine with me. Since time is cyclical that means I will be the cause of the new Big Bang. And will use all of my power to make it so rosemary never exists.
    Rosemary is a Gallifreyan artifact. Shit is timelocked, son.
  • So, I was like, "The internet should see my cooking! Show my e-friends while I cook!" So, that's what I'm doing, and my sister is helping take pictures. She also demands awesome credit.
    I had some HEB Fully Cooked frozen patties, and since I didn't want to make patties, I just seasoned them with:
    • Garlic Powder
    • McCormick Grill Mates Hamburger seasoning
    • Salt
    • Pepper (the good kind that your crush on your own)
    Normally I'd use some Lawry's Seasoned Salt, but i don't have any. Anyways, you cook these like normal. Also,staring them downhelps.
    In a bit I'll post about the fajitas and the rest of the pizza.
    You do know that even though you visually re-sized the image, it is still a 3MB JPEG right? Aside from that, good work, take a pic when the pizza is done!

• Rosemary is a Gallifreyan artifact. Shit is timelocked, son.
    I will also erase Dr. Who. That is how much I hate rosemary.
  • Time Lord. Automatically timelocked.

Rosemary will be around forever. U MAD?
  • So if you're interested in ordering spices, these guys are running a special. Order something and get 8 free vanilla beans with your purchase.

I just bought a pound of smoked salt for 15 bucks. That oughta fucking last.
  • Dr. Who won't exist= no time lords. No time lords= no time lock. You mad?
  • O SHI--

That's right. The Doctor was the Other. He's the reason the TARDIS exists. Eff.

Okay, I will not use my Rōzumarī no Kami Ken, but only to save the Doctor and in turn save humanity a billion times over.
  • This smoke wok intrigues me.
  • edited February 2011
    This smoke wok intrigues me.
    I'm buying a carbon steel wok soon expressly to try it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You can also try Alton Brown's smoking rig.
  • This smoke wok intrigues me.
    I'm buying a carbon steel wok soon expressly to try it.
    I've got a large steel Calphalon wok. It's fucking awesome and I use it quite frequently.
  • O SHI--

That's right. The Doctor was the Other. He's the reason the TARDIS exists. Eff.

Okay, I will not use my Rōzumarī no Kami Ken, but only to save the Doctor and in turn save humanity a billion times over.
    You already sent me to the future. Anything you type now is my past. I will undo anything you try... Omae mo shindeiru!
  • You can also try Alton Brown's smoking rig.
    The downside of the Alton Smoker is that it needs to be used outdoors. The Wok Smoker can be used indoors, allowing you to make delicious barbecue even when its woman out.

One day, when I have my own HST-style compound on farmland surrounded by forest, one of the buildings will be a full smokehouse powered by an entire woodburning stove, capable of batch smoking 20+ Virginia hams.
  • One day, when I have my own HST-style compound on farmland surrounded by forest, one of the buildings will be a full smokehouse powered by an entire woodburning stove, capable of batch smoking 20+ Virginia hams.
    Pussy.

I'll need to start forest fires to fuel my smokehouse. My goal is to be able to smoke Rhode Island in one go.
  • Smokehouse made out of a sealed subway station. Oh yes.
  • I am very very excited to be getting smoked salt in the mail. Technology is so fucking awesome. "I desire smoked salt. I will click THREE BUTTONS and a servant will deliver smoked salt to my door."
  • I will click THREE BUTTONS and a servant government serviceperson paid by my tax dollars will deliver smoked salt to my door.
    Assuming, of course, that you chose USPS. Otherwise you are paying extra!
  • Assuming, of course, that you chose USPS. Otherwise you are paying extra!
    UPS. Sure, I paid extra. Someone has to give the servant his ration of small beer and brown bread.
  • I made dinner with whatever was laying around tonight. That is rice, black beans, tuna, frank's red hot, oregano, pepper, and lemon juice. It was tasty.
  • I made dinner with whatever was laying around tonight. That is rice, black beans, tuna, frank's red hot, oregano, pepper, and lemon juice. It was tasty.
    I put that shit on everything.
    I put that shit on everything.
    I use sriracha.
  • More Pictures? You got it! Now with smaller filesizes!

So, my sister, Julia, decided we'd do something interesting with the Fajita meat my mom cooked earlier in the week. She poured in some (2 tablespoons) of salsa in the skillet and we let it cook for awhile (Until brown-ish or whatever color you like your chicken meat to be). Julia then proceeded to fall in love with her own cooking skills, in the least conceited way possible.

Now, it's pizza time!

Pepperoni and Salsa-cooked Fajitas and hamburger crumbs with some plain-ol Pizza shredded cheese. In about 15-ish minutes, we'll see how everyone likes it. Also, feel free to recreate this recipe with better-quality materials.
  • So, I recently decided that I want to stop eating out. Altogether. To my mind, there is only one way to do that, which is to batch-cook my own delicious lunches. And to my mind, there is only one way to do that, which is making bento.

For all of our Banh Mi lovers, I figured out what the first bento I'm going to make is: Banh Mi bento deconstruction. Hell yes.
  • I am very very excited to be getting smoked salt in the mail. Technology is so fucking awesome. "I desire smoked salt. I will click THREE BUTTONS and a servant will deliver smoked salt to my door."
    Smoked salt is fucking delicious.