This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• George, come on over and I'll make you my salt-baked Salmon dish. It's fucking delicious.
    :'(
  • It's okay, substitute with a sardine sandwich, safe in the knowledge that it will help lower your cholesterol and is low in sodium.
  • while being a bit less salty and smoky than most kippers.
    I like the salty and smoky! But that's OK. I'll give the sardines a go.

Also, 8% DV for a tin of sardines is still a fair bit of salt.
  • Yeah, but its still way less than some other preserved fish, and you get a big and delicious sandwich from one tin.
  • Double posting, but for good reason. I'm cooking at a friend's place in a bit, and she doesn't even have a goddamn chef's knife. I'll probably have to bring mine over in a backpack, but I don't have a knife roll or blade guards. What's the best way to transport a knife?
  • Double posting, but for good reason. I'm cooking at a friend's place in a bit, and she doesn't even have a goddamn chef's knife. I'll probably have to bring mine over in a backpack, but I don't have a knife roll or blade guards. What's the best way to transport a knife?
    Wrapped very well in a high-quality cloth.
  • I have a ride now, it seems, so i'm taking some cardboard and folding it over the blades and then stapling the openings shut to make some blade guards.

Who the fuck doesn't own a chef's knife but has their own apartment!?
  • Who the fuck doesn't own a chef's knife but has their own apartment!?
    Lots of people. You'd be surprised how many people can't cook and just use pre-prepared food or eat out.
  • Who the fuck doesn't own a chef's knife but has their own apartment!?
    Lots of people. You'd be surprised how many people can't cook and just use pre-prepared food or eat out.
    There are no people like that. Because those sorts are not actually people.
  • Today I cooked pot roast, chili, and kielbasa stir fry. Hopefully I won't have to cook again for 2 weeks. Lazy and living alone FTW!
  • Sardine and avocado sandwich = tasty.

I'm going to try the sardines in mustard sauce next time. I think the extra bite will complement the avocado nicely.
  • I'm eating some pistachio nuts, and I'm thinking. Hey, these are 22% fat. That makes sense, nuts are fat. I mean, Peanut oil exists.

Wait a minute.

Why not pistachio oil?

IT EXISTS!
  • Around the same smoke point as peanut oil and butter. So, you could stir-fry with it.

Interesting. I wonder if it's expensive?
  • It is. I've seen it, usually at Whole Foods.

I use walnut oil on popcorn instead of butter, and it tastes fantastic with sea salt. I bet pistachio is even better.
  • Going to culinary school is eventually going to be the direct cause of my death.

A few days ago, I'd whipped up a batch of tempura batter for a bunch of various veggies I was doing for dinner, but I had some batter left over. I didn't really want to throw it away, so I started thinking of things I could fry with it. Obviously, one thing led to another, and I was deep frying some bacon. It turned out really fucking good, but I couldn't just let it end there; oh no. I sat on my kitchen stool, pondering long and hard, munching on a piece of tempura'd bacon, trying to pull the perfect garnish from the tangled web of my mind. And then...hollandaise sauce. It was so simple! So obvious!

And so instead of having vegetables, I ate battered n' fried bacon with hollandaise sauce. I went to bed feeling like I was dying, but so very, very happy.

(I also baked some bread in the shape of a turtle today)
  • (I also baked some bread in the shape of a turtle today)
    Do want pics.
  • Project:

Lychee cheesecake with sherry syrup. Discuss.
  • For my first real entry in this thread, I present my Gastric Bypass Southwestern Macaroni and Cheese.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
    32 oz of Velveta cheese (or any other cheese you want to use, I just chose Velveta because I can buy it in a brick)
    32 oz of penne (you can use macaroni, but penne works better because of the heaviness of the dish)
    1 pack of bacon
    3 peppers (use any colour you want, but red works the best out of all of them for this dish)
    1 yellow onion
    1 stick of butter or margarine
    6 eggs
    Grape tomatoes

A very large baking pan
    A very large pot
    Frying pan

STEP 1: Cut a hole in the boxCook the pasta.
    STEP 2: Put the cheese, butter, and tomatoes in the baking pan
    STEP 3: Cook the bacon in the frying pan. When it's done, remove the bacon, but not the grease.
    STEP 4: Julienne the peppers and fry them in the bacon grease
    STEP 5: Cut the onions into small-ish pieces and fry them in the bacon grease
    STEP 6: Put the bacon, peppers, and onions into the pan
    STEP 7: When the pasta is done cooking, put the eggs into the pan followed by the pasta
    STEP 8: Mix well
    STEP 9: Bake the pasta in an oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
    STEP 10: Let cool and serve!
  • So I've just tried cottage cheese. I know, weird, but for some reason the thought of cheese you could pour put me off for years. Anyway, I'm wondering what sort of delicious meals and snacks you guys make with cottage cheese.
  • Cottage Cheese = blech. Even worse is when they make cannolis with cottage cheese. I knows that's the traditional and original way of making them. It's even fair if you say that a cannoli without cottage cheese isn't a true cannoli, that's fine. The point is that with cheese it's disgusting, but with sugary cream it is delicious.
  • edited February 2011
    For my first real entry in this thread, I present my Gastric Bypass Southwestern Macaroni and Cheese.
    Why is it called Gastric Bypass? Did you mean like, coronary bypass? Or do you mean if you eat this, you may eventually need gastric bypass? Someone who's undergone gastric bypass couldn't eat this dish since their stomach would be tiny.
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • Anyway, I'm wondering what sort of delicious meals and snacks you guys make with cottage cheese.
    Cottage cheese + fruit. That's really all I do with it.
  • Anyway, I'm wondering what sort of delicious meals and snacks you guys make with cottage cheese.
    Cottage cheese + fruit. That's really all I do with it.
    I use cottage cheese instead of sour cream with some dishes. Mostly on top of Tex-mex dishes.
    Lasagna.
  • Lasagna.
    Die in a fire.
  • Even worse is when they make cannolis with cottage cheese. I knows that's the traditional and original way of making them. It's even fair if you say that a cannoli without cottage cheese isn't a true cannoli, that's fine. The point is that with cheese it's disgusting, but with sugary cream it is delicious.
    They make cannoli with Ricotta, not cottage cheese.
  • Lasagna.
    Die in a fire.
    Problem? Sounds delicious to me.
  • They make cannoli with Ricotta, not cottage cheese.
  • They make cannoli with Ricotta, not cottage cheese.
    Then ricotta is also yucky.
  • Problem? Sounds delicious to me.
    OMFG.

Lasagna is made with ricotta. Actually, it should properly be made with a bechemel, but ricotta is an acceptable deviation.

Paula Deen makes her lasagna with cottage cheese. That right there should tell you to stay the fuck away.