This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    @Ro: Oh man, my mouth is totally watering. I'm going to do what you do, but with peanut butter, sriracha, and Chinese Five Spice powder. I'll probably marinate the beef strips, too, and pan-brown them before adding them to the delicious, delicious curry.

@Scott: But then you can make eight servings of chili, freeze seven, and eat chili all week! Who doesn't love chili!?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2010
    Don't make the mistake I did and get the big crock pot. Get the small one. Crock pots only really work when they are full. Thus, if your crock pot is big, you can only make a lot of food. Trying to make a small amount of food in a big pot will end in tears.
    Good to know, thanks.

My work store has the Rival 5 quart for $20 no tax. I think I might go pick it up.
    Who doesn't love chili!?
    My boyfriend when I eat chili. :P

Your recipe sounds delicious. Mmmm....
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Thus, if your crock pot is big, you can only make a lot of food.
    I fail to see the problem. Have guests over! Freeze stuff! Easy meals all week!
  • Thus, if your crock pot is big, you can only make a lot of food.
    I fail to see the problem. Have guests over! Freeze stuff! Easy meals all week!
    I thought about this too. Who doesn't like leftover curry?
  • edited December 2010
    My work store has theRival 5 quartfor $20 no tax. I think I might go pick it up.
    I've got the old lady one with the flower print.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCR500-GF-5-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0007SMPRQ/ref=sr_1_50?s=home-garden&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1291840497&sr;=1-50

It's too big.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2010
    My work store has theRival 5 quartfor $20 no tax. I think I might go pick it up.
    I've got the old lady one with the flower print.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCR500-GF-5-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0007SMPRQ/ref=sr_1_50?s=home-garden&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1291840497&sr;=1-50

It's too big.
    No, Scott, your stomach is too small.

Aside: Oh snap! I'm going to serve my curry over udon noodles. Dinner just got even better.
  • Just freeze the leftovers like others have suggested or when you use it to cook, have people over. Take leftovers to work and share and all that jazz.
  • Just put freezer bags filled with delicious chili between two cookie sheets in the freezer, with the top one weighted down. They'll freeze into chili bricks. Then, bring each serving to work and make some cool people very happy.
  • Then, bring each serving to work and make some cool people very happy.
    This is something people at my work would consider as a mean prank due to the nature of certain older coworkers bowel conditions.
  • Then, bring each serving to work and make some cool people very happy.
    This is something people at my work would consider as a mean prank due to the nature of certain older coworkers bowel conditions.
    Curry bricks? Lentil soup bricks?

You can riff on it.
  • I firmly believe that if you're going to go through the effort of cooking, you should make a whole lot of food. It's too much effort for me to only get one meal out of it when almost the same amount of effort can easily get me three or four. Big crock pot all the way. OR, get one that has a divider so you can do a large or small batch.
  • I firmly believe that if you're going to go through the effort of cooking, you should make a whole lot of food. It's too much effort for me to only get one meal out of it when almost the same amount of effort can easily get me three or four. Big crock pot all the way. OR, get one that has a divider so you can do a large or small batch.
    Absolute truth. This why I typically only cook once a week. On the nights I don't have leftovers, it's time to go out or just chop up a salad.
  • I fail to see the problem. Have guests over! Freeze stuff! Easy meals all week!
    True that! Back when I was working a shitty bar job, I had three things my money went toward - Rent, Food, and goodtimes. Start of every weak, I'd make a big crock-pot of hearty stew, and then freeze a whole bunch of containers of it. the other stuff I had to buy food wise was bread ingredients, some pasta and rice, and a few other small things. Set aside some cash for milk and tea, so on - and thus, goodtimes money is maximised.
  • edited December 2010
    Making lamb red wine based chili currently. I'll take some pictures when it's done, but damn it smells good.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Thawing two pounds of short ribs and two pounds of vegetables.

Shit is about to get real.
  • Man, this is good. A little bit different from the curry asplosion I was expecting, but that's probably because of all the water and vegetables.

Also, I used WAY too much oil at the beginning and had to pour some out. Scrapped the peanut butter, fear for my heart health.

There is also too little meat; I'll cube and cook steaks, add a block of curry, and blend that in each time I reheat.
  • This is a dish I learned from my mom, which I quite like. It is called a corn pone.

Materials:
    2 cups cornmeal
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 quart buttermilk
    3 eggs
    ¼ of cup olive oil
    2 cans of beans
    1 can of chopped tomatoes
    2 large onions
    Cumin and chili powder to preference

Instructions
    Sauté onions in olive oil.
    When clear, add beans and spices.
    Mix cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.
    Add olive oil, buttermilk, and eggs.
    Put bean and onion mixture into a baking pan.
    Gently ladle cornmeal mixture over beans and onions (try to keep separate layer).
    Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
  • edited December 2010
    My immune response to stress is to think about cooking. This is a recipe I whipped up when I realized that I can't possibly be prepared for my orgo final on Wednesday.

It's like turchetta, but with chicken. Skin the chicken, debone, separate the meats, and prepare a pollochetta. Then, you wrap the roast in prosciutto and sage leaves before tying it up. After wrapping, it's carefully (carefully!) pressed into a rectangular prism. Transglutaminase and one night of setting might be necessary; David Chang's Momofuku covers how to prepare a brick chicken in this fashion. Roast.

Pollochetta Saltimbocca. Serve with smoked bacon mashed potatoes and collard greens, with caper garnish.
  • So I made a "White Chocolate-Holiday Spice" Ice Cream, and Dear GOD, it's amazing and perfect for this holiday time. I followed this famous recipe of Chai Syrup http://lucylou.livejournal.com/575537.html to the side, and while it wasn't as thick, I mixed it into the white chocolate, it made a really awesome and festive combo. It's kind of thick/creamy, but it's damn incredible.

My changes to the spices? More ground clove and ginger, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 small vanilla bean. And to the side, with my ice cream recipe, was that I toasted anise seeds in milk which was added to the white chocolate. I strained this recipe several times so it would only have flecks of the spices in it, but it was so worth it.
  • So I made a "White Chocolate-Holiday Spice" Ice Cream, and Dear GOD, it's amazing and perfect for this holiday time.
    Can we get a recipe?
  • So I made a "White Chocolate-Holiday Spice" Ice Cream, and Dear GOD, it's amazing and perfect for this holiday time.
    Can we get a recipe?
    -Start with the Syrup Recipe, to get it prepared. Follow that, but be sure to add those extra spices, especially with a cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. It doesn't need to be toasted, but the syrup should definitely get it's own flavor around the 6th Step.
    -As you are simmering the syrup, add 3 and 1/2 cups of whole milk to a large pot, and put on medium to boil.
    -As it is boiling, in a mixing bowl, add a 1/4th of a cup of splenda/sugar, 5 tbsps of cornstarch, 1/2th teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup of milk. and. Combine with mix, until there are no more lumps left.
    -In another new pot, toast about a teaspoon of anise seeds, about medium/low for a few minutes. After the seeds are brown, add 1/2 cup of milk. After 3 minutes, strain the milk, to take out the anise seeds. Put the milk back in the pot. (This part is still being tested, so I'll list it as optional)
    -Once the milk has boiled, add in your cornstarch mixture into the main pot and whisk. Once the mixture becomes thick, move to the side. Be sure to whisk this constantly, it'll own take about 5 minutes to thicken to the right consistency, but it has a good chance of stuff sticking to the bottom of the pan
    -In the small pot with the anise milk, add 10oz of White Chocolate on Medium Heat. Whisk to melt.
    -Once the chocolate is melted, add to the main pot. Be sure to use a wooden spoon or plastic spatula to scrape all of it out. The syrup should be flavorful at this point, and there should be about a cup of syrup in your pot. Add as much as you desire to the mix, taste for preference. Be sure to pour it in through a strainer though, so your bean/stick/bay leaf are not in the mixture.
    -Stir the mixture, taste to preference.
    -Cover the mixture in plastic wrap (Pressing down, to keep air from escaping), and chill it for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
    -Prepare the ice cream maker. The mixture will be more soupy than usual, so you'll need to let it go for a long time and be sure there's plenty of rock salt and ice.
    -IMPORTANT. Strain the mixture once again, while pouring it into the ice cream maker. It will collect any additional bits of corn starch and burnt milk.

Serve up and Enjoy!
  • Earlier in the evening, I made a chicken liver and bacon pâté for a party on Friday. I think there's way more of it than I'll need for the party, though. Looks like I'll be trying to get rid of some liver pâté in the near future.

Also, I have a pasta bake in the oven right now. A sausage and spinach tomato sauce tossed into elbows, mixed with mozzarella and parmigiana. I reckon it'll be delicious.
  • Oh mans. I'm going to make one of those and a roquefort terrine for the charcuterie and cheese courses of Christmas dinner.

And yes, my brother and I are planning a ten-course French/Spanish Christmas dinner.
  • Looks like I'll be trying to get rid of some liver pâté in the near future.
    Should I bring crackers to game tomorrow?
  • Should I bring crackers to game tomorrow?
    Yes. Good ones. Or a baguette so we can make crostinis. Or possibly just bring some crostinis.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh mans. I'm going to make one of those and a roquefort terrine for the charcuterie and cheese courses of Christmas dinner.

And yes, my brother and I are planning a ten-course French/Spanish Christmas dinner.
    I just watched a Youtube video of a pâté en croûte being made. I want to do it so badly now, but it looks very time-consuming.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Looks like I'll be trying to get rid of some liver pâté in the near future.
    Should I bring crackers to game tomorrow?
    I recommend Urban Oven crackers. They are perfect.
    Oh mans. I'm going to make one of those and a roquefort terrine for the charcuterie and cheese courses of Christmas dinner.

I just watched aYoutube video of a pâté en croûte being made. I want to do it so badly now, but it looks very time-consuming.
    Luckily for me, I have a purveyor of everything from aged Roquefort to Foie Gras entier, and nothing but time.
  • So, on Saturday, I brined a turkey and baked it the following day. I only made it for two people, so there were lots of leftovers. I don't have a picture of that one, but when we took it out of the oven, the turkey look liked it had busted open. (I must have baked it on the wrong side) But it made some great leftover turkey, which I turned into this recipe.

It's an Asian Turkey Udon Stew, with Carrots, Green Bell Pepper, Snap Peas and Udon that was boiled in Chicken Stock. (The stock was later used as soup) And added to that was Salt, Pepper, Mirin, Garlic Sriracha, Garlic Powder, Worchestershire Sauce (Because I didn't have Soy Sauce at the time. -.-), Cilantro, and Black Sesame Seeds. It was amazing. I'm glad I took a picture of that, because even while I ended up getting 7 Bowls from it, it was gone within the hour thanks to my family.

Can't wait to make it again...thank god for leftovers.
  • To the forumites that make them, what is your favorite recipe for cucumber sandwiches?