This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I want to grill today. But I thought I had no meat. Then I remembered I have a pork tenderloin I bought to make bacon with that I haven't baconified yet. I shall marinate and grill that, it will be delicious.
  • I want to grill today. But I thought I had no meat. Then I remembered I have a pork tenderloin I bought to make bacon with that I haven't baconified yet. I shall marinate and grill that, it will be delicious.
    Genius. I'm buying a meat on the way home.
  • I'm learning to weld so that I can build a smoker this summer. Good times.
  • edited March 2011
    This morning, I started curing a pork tenderloin to make Canadian bacon. Salt, maple syrup, prague powder #1. Chances of success: excellent.

Next major project: obtain small cabinet, humidstat, humidifier, and some kind of thermal regulation device. Objective: salami/prosciutto drying cabinet.
    I'm learning to weld so that I can build a smoker this summer. Good times.
    You, sir, have stepped up your game.

Once you learn how to weld, you should build yourself a single-tier brewing rig.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Genius. I'm buying a meat on the way home.
    I wish their was a grocer that wasn't completely in the wrong direction of my walk home.
    As badass as learning to weld is, you know you can buy smokers, right?
  • edited March 2011
    You, sir, have stepped up your game.
    Yeah. I got tired of shit-talking, and I'm going to start looking for a small MIG unit while I'm home next week.
    As badass as learning to weld is, you know you can buy smokers, right?
    1) I may also build a kit car in the near future, or restore a bike. Welding is needed.
    2) If I'm welding, I'm building a smoker big enough to smoke a few ham legs. Nothing less than $600 on the market will do that.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • This morning, I started curing a pork tenderloin to make Canadian bacon. Salt, maple syrup, prague powder #1. Chances of success: excellent.
    I've decided that I'm going to turn at least one piece of this into peameal bacon, to see what it tastes like.
  • As badass as learning to weld is, you know you can buy smokers, right?
    I offered, but he can't afford my time if he wants me to both smoke AND weld at the same time.

Also, when you go to the UK, you should pick up one of These barbecues. The english - well, students, anyway - are used to those shitty coals-in-an-oven-tray things which are banned in some parks and other nice places to barbecue. Having an actual barbecue = You are a god among (english)Men. The one I had lasted for two years and easily over a hundred barbecues - used to go to student's places and handle all their barbecuing for them, in exchange for a bottle of rum. And yes, this happened all year round. M'fuckin' snow barbecues.
  • edited March 2011
    The one I had lasted for two years and easily over a hundred barbecues - used to go to student's places and handle all their barbecuing for them, in exchange for a bottle of rum.
    Being from the Midwest, I have been grilling fine meats since I could stand tall enough to see the burgers.

I am all over that.
  • edited March 2011
    Being from the Midwest, I have been grilling fine meats since I could stand tall enough to see the burgers.

I am all over that.
    In action for size comparison

Grill top is about 342 square inches. It's not exactly a plough disk over an open fire, but it's pretty sizable, especially compared to those dinky little oven tray things.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Get your grill on!

Just watched a presentation by the woman who invented all these Simply Soy products, which apparently outperform petroleum-based lubes. These grill wipes are food safe. I am going to have to try these!
  • I usually just scrape the grill with a metal brush. There's not much that can withstand the heat of a charcoal fire.
  • I've decided that I'm going to turn at least one piece of this into peameal bacon, to see what it tastes like.
    I said "fuck it" to peameal bacon. The regular stuff is delicious as it is.

I recommend getting the whole pork loin - not just the tenderloin. The tenderloin is tasty, but I want more substance to my Canadian bacon.

A friend of mine has a disused refrigerator in his basement. In the coming months, I plan on turning it into a salami-drying cabinet.
  • Made cinnamon sugar and stuck it on my toast. Good stuff.
  • Cinnamon sugar is the perfect companion to toast.
  • Until I work out how to make cinnamon peanut butter.
  • Unsweetened peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon sugar. Sweeten and salt to taste.
  • edited April 2011
    Jeremy made me a surprise dinner of chicken parmigiana with spinach linguine noodles. It was very tasty.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I just made an awesome Taylor Ham, egg and cheese with frank's red hot. Mmmmmm. But I'll be paying for it later.
  • So Jeremy decided to make those delicious type cookies that Nathan Fillion shared on The Nerdist Podcast.

Ingredients:
    1 bag of dried chow-mein noodles
    1 bag of unsalted peanuts
    1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 bag of butterscotch chips

Melt butterscotch & chocolate on low heat in pot. Once melted add noodles and peanuts. Put them onto wax paper, freeze for 30 minutes. Then tasty-delicious dessert for all. Jeremy forgot to add peanuts to this, but it was still awesome.
  • Looks like dirt with worms in it...
    Could be a good Halloween treat them. Jeremy could have made it more presentable but it really didn't matter. Try it, you will like it.
    They're honestly fucking amazing - looks like shit, but so goddamn good.
  • edited April 2011
    Had a busy day today, made Chorizo Sausage, a Bailey's Caramel/Vanilla/White Chocolate Ice Cream, (SO GOOD) and Trout Chowder.

I was really happy with this one, just because the Steelhead Fillet I got still had the skin on, and I never knew how much of a bitch that was to deal with. I don't think skin would of been good in the slightest in the chowder, but it was a pain in the ass trying to get all of the meat off of it. It needed some salt, worcestershire and hot sauce, but then it was just an explosion of tastiness. Especially considering it was filled to the brim with onions, celery and potatoes. (Which were roasted in the oven beforehand) And this is definitely one of those dishes which are better the next day, so I'm smiling big time.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I was really happy with this one, just because the Steelhead Fillet I got still had the skin on, and I never knew how much of a bitch that was to deal with. I don't think skin would of been good in the slightest in the chowder, but it was a pain in the ass trying to get all of that good stuff. It's absolutely delicious though. It needed some salt, worcestershire and hot sauce, but then it was just an explosion of tastiness. Especially considering it was filled to the brim with onions, celery and potatoes. (Which were roasted in the oven beforehand)
    Recipe?
  • This is how I made the potatoes: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2238,157181-234202,00.html Simple and Delicious.
    Here's each thing, step by step.

1. The potatoes need to be roasted in advanced. They should be in the oven, and then everything else should be prepped. I know you can boil them within the soup, but I really love the texture they provide and how they absorb the cream and flavors.
    2. Cooked two pieces of bacon in a dutch oven, getting a nice crust on the bottom. Take out, once they are thoroughly cooked. (And enjoy, It's done for now. ^^)
    3. Sauted Onions and Celery at medium, letting them turn translucent. The onion I used was the size of a softball and 4 ribs of celery, and let them simmer with
    4. Turn the heat up to Medium-High, and Deglaze with a 1/4th of a cup of white wine, being sure to scrap the bottom.
    5. Add Chicken Stock, atleast 3 cups, with 2 bay leafs. Then turn the heat down to medium-low.
    6. Add potatoes to the mix. By being pre-roasted and already edible, you don't have to spend extra time.
    7. Take a pound of chopped/diced trout, mixed with tarragon, dill and thyme. Toss them in the pot, and bring the liquid to a nice simmer.
    8. To the side, in a smaller pan, make a roux with 2 tbsps of butter and flour. Let it turn a sandy color.
    9. Add worcestershire sauce and lemon juice to flavor, constantly whisking.
    10. Mix in 2 cups of Half and Half. Once everything is thoroughly dissolved, you can add it into the main pot.
    11. Simmer for about 20 minutes at Low.
    12. Remove the bay leaves. Add Salt/Pepper and other liquids to your personal enjoyment. (Remember, I had to add some extra stuff.)

That covers just about everything. ^_^
  • edited April 2011
    I don't have pictures, but I think I finally perfected this fkn quiche recipe.

SUPERQUICHE!

Ingredients:

4 eggs
    1 cup half-and-half cream
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    A sprinkling of pepper (white or black)
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Approx 4 ounces cheese, grated or shredded
    Fillings of choice. Recommended: Chicken/ham, spinach, and onion
    1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Directions:

Preheat oven. Bake pie shell according to box instructions. (Typically at 425-450 degrees F for ten minutes. Poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork.)
    In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper. Place grated/shredded cheese in the pie shell. Add in filling ingredients. Pour egg mixture over filling. Liberally apply nutmeg on top.
    Reduce heat to 325 degrees F, and bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is set. Allow to set 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Sooogoood.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited April 2011
    Gonna have to make a pie/savory tart crust (not hard) and whip that up. Nom.
  • If you know a good pie crust recipe, WindUpBird, do share. I would have many uses for such a thing...