This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/french-tart-dough-a-la-francaise/

I used this recipe when making tarts or quiche. It's really, REALLY good. Whenever I make a tart, I make a Goat Cheese-Leek-Bacon tart. And I've made a quiche once...I made the dough big enough (Multiply the Recipe by 1.75) to fill a cast iron pan. So, this is what I'd suggest.
  • If you know a good pie crust recipe, WindUpBird, do share. I would have many uses for such a thing...
    I generally obey the Salt and Fat guidelines. They know what's up.
  • Made cinnamon sugar and stuck it on my toast. Good stuff.
    When I was young (and my family was wicked poor, though I never knew it), cinnamon-sugar toast or fresh fruit with yogurt were our most common desserts.

• SUPERQUICHE!

Sooogoood.
    I will make it. It shall be done!
  • If you know a good pie crust recipe, WindUpBird, do share. I would have many uses for such a thing...
    I saw one that used lard. To make a shell for a pate en croute. Made with duck liver.

Hello cholesterol.
  • I saw one that used lard. To make a shell for a pate en croute. Made with duck liver.
    Instant death is almost certainly guaranteed...

...but what a way to go!

See that sucker on the left? I made that. The most manly Mexican Pizza. Chorizo, Chicken (Seasoned with Goya Saffron Seasoning, Chili Powder, Salt/Pepper and Garlic), Mexican Blend Cheese and Enchilada Sauce. Dear GOD, it was incredible.

Seriously, I learned how to make Chorizo more than a month ago, and I've made it 7-8 times already. And it's already turned customizable just from the spices you use, type of vinegar, type of dried chiles. Love it. ^_^
  • Made some pulled pork today, but it turned out more like pork sloppy joe (not a bad thing). Gonna go get some parchment/wax paper, make some dough and turn the rest into bao (meat buns).
  • So I want to make some crazy spicy chili. Does anyone have a good home recipie?
  • Family chili recipes are like the Holy Grail. You'll have to evade endless traps to get to it, and once you get one, if it's the wrong one, you'll catch on fire and melt.

HOWEVER: The Food Lab has a good starting point for you to riff on. Add more spicy chiles as needed!
  • So I am going to make some crazy chili 2maro night. Does anyone have any suggestions/recipies for an epic meal time?
  • If you want to make it EMT-related and use chili, you gotta have Four Loko.
  • I've just had what I think is a brilliant idea. You remember when we were talking about sous vide cooking a few pages back? Well a proper sous vide oven is very pricey, but a beer cooler is super cheap and does the same thing. However, a beer cooler slowly loses heat so you can't cook something for a really long time. Buuuuuut, what if you used a crock pot filled with water? I think it would work in much the same way as a the expensive ovens. What do ya'll think?
  • It's a perfectly valid idea. MAKE or some other such DIY source had a tutorial a while back that used an Arduino accepting input from a thermocouple placed in the water inside of a $30 slow-cooker using a relay and a digital potentiometer to manipulate the temperature accordingly. The downside is a lack of fine-tuning (you can get within a degree or two, but not tenths of degrees) and a lack of circulation to get the temperature uniform rapidly, but it's not that big of a deal. Those features are only really critical for temperature regulation in lab work; the variation shouldn't mess with sous-vide cooking.
  • Very simple to make and delicious. Along with a Parmesan baked cauliflower and barbecue Chicken. This is the standard recipe:

Steak Au Poivre

But mine is a different steak, i have used strip steak and rib eye and both have turned out very delicious

Flambe is very nice party piece.

• So, I ordered some Duck Fat off Amazon. Other than epic Home Fries, can anyone throw me some suggestions of what to use Duck Fat on?
  • Ummm, everything!
  • edited May 2011
    Lamb goddamn pastrami.

3 pound boneless leg of lamb, dry-rubbed with salt, black pepper, coriander, bay leaf, garlic, honey, and sodium nitrite. Cured for a week.

Spice crust: black pepper, coriander, bay leaf, juniper, and garlic.

Smoked for 5 hours (both outside on my bullet smoker and inside, under low heat over a bed of wood chips) over mesquite.

So cured lamb is intense. It tastes like triple strength lamb. I like it, but it needs to be accompanied by something, I think.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Greatest food blog ever. Takes recipes from Game of Thrones and presents a historical and modern interpretation of the dish.
  • edited June 2011
    Tonight is lonely Rochelle night since Jeremy is at friends. So I'm making pork chops. They are currently marinating in my father's marinade:

Low sodium soy sauce
    Rice vinegar
    Lemon juice
    Black pepper
    Garlic powder

Cover in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably just eat this with rice or something.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • And they are done and OMG they smell and taste delicious.

Me and my brother put ourselves in SUCH a Food-Coma yesterday...Enchiladas filled with Chicken and Chorizo, Zucchini Rice Pilaf and Guacamole Salad. In the glass was a Orange Mojito I wanted to try making. It used a Lime/Mint Rum, Triple Sec, Fresh Lime Juice, and a Syrup made from Club Soda, Sugar, and Orange Mint Leaves.

Fucking incredible meal.
  • Cooked up some Mustard Porkchops earlier.

4 porkchops
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 tablespoon coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    2. Combine the Dijon mustard, mustard seed, thyme and crushed garlic in a bowl and mix well.
    3. Salt and pepper the porkchops, then cover both sides with the mustard mix.
    4. Use the coconut oil to grease the bottom of a skillet/pan, and cook the porkchops in it for 2 minutes each side or until brown.
    5. Place the skillet/pan into the oven, and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.

Enjoy!
  • I'm making Pho tomorrow with Oxtails. I'm really kind of frightened about it, because I'm using so many crazy techniques, but I really have high hopes for making this. So, wish me luck!

Oh yes, Soft Molasses Cookies! :D These were another happy accident, mostly because I think I keep making tiny cakes instead of cookies. But these were great, because they had crispy edges.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh wow. The bar is way too high for me here. I was going to post about some delicious pasta sauce I made, but my recipes are "glob of butter" and "about as much flour". My kitchen experiences are usually improvised. I don't know what to do with a rue but make a white sauce. When I decided the white sauce just wasn't enough, I stole a Kraft cheese single from my roommate as it is the only cheese in the house :( and magically converted my white sauce into a cheese sauce. It is so anti-classy that it just doesn't deserve to be here.

Plus you guys take mighty fine pictures! My dinner looked like macaroni covered in white stuff with hints of darkness from the basil and nutmeg.

I sometimes make an omelette and think "wow that's so beautiful, I can't eat it!" I never actually stop to take a picture, though. I bet if I dig in the history, I'm going to find pictures of omelettes that would put even my best one to shame.

I'd be more sad panda, but this food is tasty :)
    Post edited by Byron on
  • I wanted curry, but I didn't have one of these.

None of the nearby grocery stores have them. I'd have to go to manhattan to get one, and I am lazy. So I looked online how to make curry from scratch.

http://norecipes.com/blog/2010/02/08/japanese-curry-rice-recipe-video/

Here's the current progress. I put in the carrots later than I was supposed to because I forgot. Also, I burned half a stick of butter because I got the pan too hot when I was going to make the rue. So I threw that out and did it right the second time after cleaning the pan. I used less potato and less meat than the video used because my pot is smaller. I also used more apple because I thought it would be interesting. I also put some brown rice in the rice cooker. I followed his suggestion of substituting worcestershire sauce for tonkatsu sauce, because the grocery store didn't have any. The grocery also didn't have the cardamom he added.

We'll see how it tastes in less than an hour. If I did this again I would make the rue and prepare all the ingredients first. I'm not fast enough to do things in the order he suggests. Based on how it smells, I might want to try adding garlic, cayenne pepper, and the black cardamom the next time. Also maybe do less onion and add some leek.

The garam masala only came in a big package, so I have to use it up. That means I'll definitely be doing this again sometime, no matter how it goes this time.
  • rue
    FYI, it's spelled "roux." And from what I understand, Cajun cuisine uses oil as the basis for roux because you can heat it to a higher temperature than you can butter.

Butter-based roux is best if you're looking to keep it pale.

I cooked a lamb dinner tonight: roasted leg of lamb with root vegetables, a spinach-garlic-lime dish (Nuri's contribution), quinoa, and gluten-free basil-garlic-parmigiana toasties.

I keep forgetting to take pictures.
  • FYI, it's spelled "roux." And from what I understand, Cajun cuisine uses oil as the basis for roux because you can heat it to a higher temperature than you can butter.
    I think the traditional fat is clarified butter.
  • edited September 2011
    In the words of Mami.

Finale!

It tastes great, but it's definitely a sweet curry. I mean, it has a spice, but not any hotness. Definitely should have done more carrot because they tasted so good, but there weren't enough of them in there. I used regular Idaho potato, but I think maybe a different kind would be better. I wonder what sweet potato would do... It's like, I could try to spice it up and make it more curry-like. Or I could keep going with what is working in the sweet direction and rock some brown sugar next time.
    Post edited by Apreche on