This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

To Speak Up or Not?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    While she could probably kick your ass if she wanted to, one of the important things is martial arts is you aren't meant to use them unless you absolutely have to, even just threatening people.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I would advocate the martial arts for several reasons, not the least of which being that there's nothing more infuriating to an apeman than to have his ass kicked by a woman. And probably nothing more fun and satisfying for you.
    Knowing you can kick ass is a very satisfying feeling, but as a black belt I think that teaching anything but pacifism is irresponsible. The Spider Man Rule applies to everyone; if you've been trained to hurt people it's your responsibility to only use that training when you or somebody else is in danger. No exceptions.
  • edited August 2009
    And those people would only make such a blog even more lol-tastic.
    Actually, there is a feminist blog where girls snap pictures of guys who leer at or harass them and publicly post them. I think you should do it! It would be great! And even if there was backlash, I think you would get twice as many fans as foes. I would love something like that.
    Ha, we already bring the camera almost everywhere with us. Why not? That -would- make it funny every time someone harassed us.
    Kung Fu would be so awesome. I always have fantasies about punching jerky people like that, but in real life I would only whip out the skills if I was actually in danger. Martial arts also helps get out anger and stress.
    I see the dojo owner and his older students often practicing in the parking lot near our place. They look so badass. If I don't have enough by the holidays, I think I'll tell my mom or dad that what I want for Chanukkah is help affording martial arts lessons. :B
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited August 2009
    While she could probably kick your ass if she wanted to, one of the important things is martial arts is you aren't meant to use them unless you absolutely have to, even just threatening people.
    Unless you are in a group of blond, adolescent Califonian boys and you meet an Italian kid from Jersey named Daniel.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It is so stupid. We were talking about this before, and I just can't comprehend what makes some dudes do this. Ick.
    Overcompensating for societal expectations of men, as far as I can tell. The same reason some straight men/boys snap when gay men/boys express themselves.
  • I would advocate the martial arts for several reasons, not the least of which being that there's nothing more infuriating to an apeman than to have his ass kicked by a woman. And probably nothing more fun and satisfying for you.
    Knowing you can kick ass is a very satisfying feeling, but as a black belt I think that teaching anything but pacifism is irresponsible. The Spider Man Rule applies to everyone; if you've been trained to hurt people it's your responsibility to only use that training when you or somebody else is in danger. No exceptions.
    I've been doing Tae Kwon Do for at least 7 years, and I'm a complete wuss among my friends. I can't bring myself to hit anyone even if it's playfully or appropriate. However, it all changes once the free-sparring starts in my dojang. Then it's time to kick some colored belt ass.
  • I was a greco-roman wrestler in high school and my first year in college. I also studied some Judo as an aid to my wrestling. In addition to this I took a year long self-defense coarse. I am also well versed in testicular destruction (if by well versed, you mean having done it once out of sheer panic). While I am not incredibly strong, I am decently comfortable with basic attack and defense maneuvers, and incredibly comfortable with grappling and fighting dirty.
    That being said, I still try to avoid any physical confrontations, particularly those with men that have quite a lot of upper body strength that I simply can't match.
    I would like to take a martial arts class, but I just can't afford one and I would rather take more dance classes first. I wonder if any of my dance skills could be use for beating someone down. Maybe I could Irish step dance someone to death or tango them into a coma!
  • I am also well versed in testicular destruction
    I love this statement. However, my incidents were mostly on accident from wrestling in bed or flailing my hands in the wrong area.
  • edited August 2009
    I am also well versed in testicular destruction
    I love this statement. However, my incidents were mostly on accident from wrestling in bed or flailing my hands in the wrong area.
    Oh, I have a zillion instances of accidentally inflicting testicular damage, but the only time I destroyed a pair of testicles was purposeful.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • *Thousand yard stare.* Testicular destruction is no laughing matter.
  • *Thousand yard stare.* Testicular destruction is no laughing matter.
    When it is deserved and out of sheer panic, then years later it is quite funny.
  • PS. If you ever do want to try a threesome, my email address is luke@juggler.net. I'm currently single.
    Well, I do have some gay friends who are looking for a third...
    Can we pass a new rule for the forum? If someone makes an obviously ironic or humourous post, don't try to make a joke about it, unless your joke is way funnier than the original.

You see, in this case I've already agreed with loltsundere's sentiment about leering men, and I've already, in the same post, said that one way to deal with them is to say you have two male gay friends who'd like to give you a call. This last line was me playing a part, a character that isn't me. The satire wasn't that sophisticated, but it needed no further explanation or comment. However, every element of humour that I can find in your post is entirely encapsulated within my post. And even if it wasn't, yours wasn't a particularly funny joke.

From now on try to understand a post before responding, because if you miss the joke you could come off looking like a comedy amateur.

On the other hand, Jason's ball joke, to a juggler, is fucking hilarious.
  • Can we pass a new rule for the forum? If someone makes an obviously ironic or humourous post, don't try to make a joke about it, unless your joke is way funnier than the original.

You see, in this case I've already agreed with loltsundere's sentiment about leering men, and I've already, in the same post, said that one way to deal with them is to say you have two male gay friends who'd like to give you a call. This last line was me playing a part, a character that isn't me. The satire wasn't that sophisticated, but it needed no further explanation or comment. However, every element of humour that I can find in your post is entirely encapsulated within my post. And even if it wasn't, yours wasn't a particularly funny joke.

From now on try to understand a post before responding, because if you miss the joke you could come off looking like a comedy amateur.
    So you're practicing for bed tonight with that enormous stick shoved up your ass? ~_^
  • Like that, you see. Gedavids gets it. Such a hilarious joke! He obviously understood everything I meant in the previous post! So much so he thought it was best to leave off the last line, just like Churba only quoted the last line. Because, of course, there's nothing better to show you understand something than to leave it out of your quote, and respond to what's left. Of course, some people only break up quotes by double line breaks, so if I keep this entire post as a single block of text, maybe when they make a joke about me being overly serious, they'll leave in this last bit which is obviously part of the satire.

Or not.
  • edited August 2009
    I would say that the line between flirting and sexual harrassment should be independent of the sexuality and relationship status of the person being spoken to. My advice is not to treat this kind of sexual harassment any differently from any other kind of sexual harassment.
    I donÂ’t think that these types of guys are homophobic, just pigs. I think that they would treat a single woman the same way. The thing is, weÂ’re not single women. There is an issue involving the fact that weÂ’re a same-sex couple, that being that despite the fact that weÂ’re a couple, we are being hit on by a greasy pig. If said greasy pig started making such comments to your girlfriend while you were out holding hands with her, IÂ’m sure youÂ’d think he couldn't asphalt fast enough. To me, it adds an extra layer of offense that he will openly sexually harass a homosexual couple (because he thinks two women together are hot, not because heÂ’s homophobic) the same way he would harass a single woman. ThatÂ’s just how it feels from the harassed personÂ’s point of view.
    This is difficult, but I would say that ideally, these things wouldn't be issues. Let's say you're with another person who is a friend, but not a sexual partner, and you're exposed to that kind of behavior. Shouldn't it be just as offensive? It's obviously difficult to think of equality about such personal issues; we wouldn't be human if we looked at every other person in the world exactly the same way (relevant is the Monkeysphere article mentioned in another thread). We should try, though, shouldn't we?

It seems to me that the ideal perspective is something along the lines of:
    this person is harassing two people at once, which is arrogant, and degrading because it's effectively saying to each of you, "you're not worth my full attention."
    I think that this is more of an issue than that of sexuality and the relationship between the two people. For one thing, it's not like two women have to be lesbian partners in order to hold hands.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Natalie here, for those that don't know me due to my lack of posting.

That was the first time I responded to one of those catcalls in a very long time, if ever. I don't know. These things have been happening more and more often lately-- I figure because we've been losing weight and I'm wearing shorter skirts now. I've been getting sick of it, and this time I just snapped back at him.
    And while I usually pride myself in not saying anything...it felt really good just to say that, and I felt like my response was pretty sharp. There were lots of people around, so I felt safe enough, and it felt like I made more people notice what a douche he was.

I like the idea of snapping a photo to put on a blog. Only sometimes though. Sometimes at night they outnumber us, and we just want to get home ASAP. I also like the idea of learning to defend myself. All I know how to do is the usual, + how to twist my arm out of somebody's grip.
  • I would fall under the category of one of those jerks that hits on/makes comments about lesbian relationships on the street. I think I should speak up for myself. For me, my actions towards lesbians stem from a solid foundation of morality. When I look upon two females that openly flaunt their sinful nature, I am driven to confront them on behalf of God. So let's talk specifics here. I appreciate a "divide-and-conquer" approach. While I don't use it myself, I understand the rationale behind it. By suggesting a lesbian sandwich, the righteous man hopes to infiltrate the relationship by offering even further degradation. Besides, all women love the alpha male even if they won't admit it. Once accepted into in the bedroom, he is better positioned to recite the relevant scripture.

I prefer to make snide comments from afar, like an expert sniper with Holy word bullets. The intent is to completely destroy their IALAC tags (I am loving and caring) to where they can be molded back into a proper human being. For example, I may say something like:
    Hey, baby baby. You're playing for a team that don't got no equipment. I've got a Louisville Slugger for you right here. Yeah, you know you want to put your hands around it. It's 100% wood, and not that white ash shit; solid maple all the way thanks to new drying techniques that lower the moisture content. What does she have that I don't got? Boobs? I've got man-boobs, and I come with extras too. If you ain't never had a man before, you ain't never really had it. Biatch!
    This will probably create self-doubt and loathing in the target. Done enough times by enough people, she will be ready to turn towards a life of grace.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are thinking that there is some kind of inherent flaw to my reasoning. You may say that my belief in this sort of morality is unfounded. You are incorrect.

I know full well that my God lust is illogical, but it's how I was raised. It's a gut instinct to me now and is effectively as real to me as a Diet Sunkist orange drink. I can know a thing but be unable to overthrow it, just as an addict can't quit drugs he knows to be harmful or a computer nerd who just can't bring himself to breathe while exercising. We're all in the exact same boat. And so I position myself as a person who by his very nature is built to believe in a specific paradigm of morality. And being a decent human being, I am obligated to see this morality upheld. It's like stopping the genocide of those African peeps or freeing the Jews way back whenever. While you may disagree with my core, you must applaud my efforts. Just think about that the next time I mock your lifestyle choice.
  • While she could probably kick your ass if she wanted to, one of the important things is martial arts is you aren't meant to use them unless you absolutely have to, even just threatening people.
    Unless you are in a group of blond, adolescent Califonian boys and you meet an Italian kid from Jersey named Daniel.
    I love you so much right now.
  • I would fall under the category of one of those jerks that hits on/makes comments about lesbian relationships on the street. I think I should speak up for myself. For me, my actions towards lesbians stem from a solid foundation of morality. When I look upon two females that openly flaunt their sinful nature, I am driven to confront them on behalf of God. So let's talk specifics here. I appreciate a "divide-and-conquer" approach. While I don't use it myself, I understand the rationale behind it. By suggesting a lesbian sandwich, the righteous man hopes to infiltrate the relationship by offering even further degradation. Besides, all women love the alpha male even if they won't admit it. Once accepted into in the bedroom, he is better positioned to recite the relevant scripture.

I prefer to make snide comments from afar, like an expert sniper with Holy word bullets. The intent is to completely destroy their IALAC tags (I am loving and caring) to where they can be molded back into a proper human being. For example, I may say something like:
    Hey, baby baby. You're playing for a team that don't got no equipment. I've got a Louisville Slugger for you right here. Yeah, you know you want to put your hands around it. It's 100% wood, and not that white ash shit; solid maple all the way thanks to new drying techniques that lower the moisture content. What does she have that I don't got? Boobs? I've got man-boobs, and I come with extras too. If you ain't never had a man before, you ain't never really had it. Biatch!
    This will probably create self-doubt and loathing in the target. Done enough times by enough people, she will be ready to turn towards a life of grace.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are thinking that there is some kind of inherent flaw to my reasoning. You may say that my belief in this sort of morality is unfounded. You are incorrect.

I know full well that my God lust is illogical, but it's how I was raised. It's a gut instinct to me now and is effectively as real to me as a Diet Sunkist orange drink. I can know a thing but be unable to overthrow it, just as an addict can't quit drugs he knows to be harmful or a computer nerd who just can't bring himself to breathe while exercising. We're all in the exact same boat. And so I position myself as a person who by his very nature is built to believe in a specific paradigm of morality. And being a decent human being, I am obligated to see this morality upheld. It's like stopping the genocide of those African peeps or freeing the Jews way back whenever. While you may disagree with my core, you must applaud my efforts. Just think about that the next time I mock your lifestyle choice.
    imageBut impressive nonetheless.
  • edited August 2009
    On these forums, it's obvious. Additionally,
    I know full well that my God lust is illogical, but it's how I was raised.
    is not the statement of a religious fundamentalist. Either it was an attempt to sidestep Poe's law, and a successful one, or a mistake. If it was the former, I think a more subtle hint would've been better.
    Nonetheless,
    [better in context]
  • edited August 2009
    [Weaksauce]
    I don't think anyone needs to be told by now that BrutishSaucer often makes highly satirical posts. Amazingly hilarious posts, I might add.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • No, it's just the introduction to the opposites.
  • edited August 2009
    Anti-Christian Hatred
    That's not really how we all think, but okay...
    Note: I don't want an argument, I would just like to point out that what he said in no way represents a majority of the Christians I've met. At least the first part, arguing about the second part is fruitless.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • It's not about majority.
  • It's not about majority.
    Okay. I just wanted to clarify that. I've seen people make statements like that, then proceed to attack anyone of that religion/belief for being the same way.
  • While I don't really have much to say about the situation right now, I want to say that I fully back loltsundere and it also disgusts me, even as a guy, when I see this happen. Flirting is fun and all, but there is a definite line.
  • edited August 2009
    Flirting is fun and all, but there is a definite line.
    Where?
  • That's a whole other argument, if you want to discuss it further then make a new thread.
  • I don't hate Christians, Axel. I just think they're crazy... no more crazy than everyone else, though.

But more to the point, my real belief is that anyone who makes those sorts of remarks about a person's private relationship is most likely doing it out of some kind of self-inflicted inferiority complex. Guys don't like the idea that any given woman wouldn't or couldn't be into him. Choosing another woman is like a kick to his ego's nutsack. Conflict from religious viewpoints is an entirely separate matter. My initial post was a ridiculous rationalization on every level. As lackofcheese points out, a true fundamentalist would categorically NOT attempt to rationalize his faith by saying that he knows it's actually bunk. Basically, you shouldn't bother trying to argue or reason with someone that's coming from a purely emotional standpoint. I was just wondering what it might be like if one of these idiots actually tried to reason back.
  • I don't hate Christians, Axel. I just think they're crazy... no more crazy than everyone else, though.

But more to the point, my real belief is that anyone who makes those sorts of remarks about a person's private relationship is most likely doing it out of some kind of self-inflicted inferiority complex. Guys don't like the idea that any given woman wouldn't or couldn't be into him. Choosing another woman is like a kick to his ego's nutsack. Conflict from religious viewpoints is an entirely separate matter. My initial post was a ridiculous rationalization on every level. As lackofcheese points out, a true fundamentalist would categorically NOT attempt to rationalize his faith by saying that he knows it's actually bunk. Basically, you shouldn't bother trying to argue or reason with someone that's coming from a purely emotional standpoint. I was just wondering what it might be like if one of these idiots actually tried to reason back.
    Okay. I was just making sure. I've seen enough Christian bashing on this forum, often when it's uncalled for.