This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

To Speak Up or Not?

1235»

Comments

• And after I called him a "faggot" one day
    Umm, that's kind of a dick-hick thing to do yourself, kid.

Besides, these weren't even people you knew, right? You would probably never see them again. Or were you just worried about getting yourself pounded?
    After contemplating it, I did understand it was my fault. But the day after I call him a faggot, I saw him in Wal-Mart, he walked up to me, saying "Did you have something to say to me?" And then all like: "Alright, you meet me at the outskirts of town at midnight and we'll finish this!"

And I didn't fucking go because of that hick-principal I applied, and I have no idea where he even wanted to meet. Honestly, I think if someone calls you a faggot as they are driving by, I didn't think that would turn into a showdown. Me calling him that just felt like me getting some revenge about all the high school rage that he caused me. Granted, I understand it was petty, but it helped me learn two valuable lessons.

I also thought about if he was gay, and asked my friends about that. If that were true, I'd understand. Turns out, he has a girlfriend with a baby on the way.
  • edited August 2009
    Honestly, I think if someone calls you a faggot as they are driving by, I didn't think that would turn into a showdown.
    If someone did that to me, it would be really difficult for me not to address it in some way. Back in high school, before I started working on my temper, I would have sought satisfaction in the form of a fist to a nose. To me, that word is as offensive as the "n" word.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Honestly, I think if someone calls you a faggot as they are driving by, I didn't think that would turn into a showdown.
    If someone did that to me, it would be really difficult for me not to address it in some way. Back in high school, before I started working on my temper, I would have sought satisfaction in the form of a fist to a nose. To me, that word is as offensive as the n word.
    I never did really release any of my rage against him, even when I should of. I have a big fear of authority. So calling him that, as I said, felt like my way of getting back. And this is two years after High School and I'm just astonished he acts the same way.

If anything, I feel ashamed in myself for remembering the shit-times known as High School and trying to think like this was accomplishing something. But honestly, a duel where ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN over one name? I didn't even say anything really offensive about his personal or family life. No need for the dramatics. And stalking? Seriously?
  • And stalking? Seriously?
    I'm generally of the mind that any problem I have with another person that can't be solved by words alone will be solved by police and/or court orders.

Maybe it's just a symptom of my hurried and timeshort life, but I've found that I escalate almost immediately to the maximum level I am willing and able to maintain at any slight. I move immediately from polite question to threat of chargeback if a credit card is involved. Were I in a car accident, the police and my insurance would know before I even made eye contact with whoever hit me. A physical threat is met with an immediate call to 911, possibly alongside the taking of pictures if I've achieved a safe vantage.

It's the same strategy I use in German board games. If you can't reach polite consensus, escalate as far as you're willing to immediately and force the issue. Gradual escalation only wastes time if you're not willing to compromise, and in the case of stalkers/dangerous people, it only prolongs the period where danger is present.
  • Oy Gevalt, maybe you should avoid this Walmart! :P
    (Or maybe it's the only store in that Virginia town?)

I'm not saying that he acted well (in fact he acted like a complete moron), but you acted obnoxiously, too. I'm against getting into brawls, but if he had gone and decked you then and there, I would not have been that sympathetic to your cause. Of course, he would have been punching you for the wrong reasons. He would have been offended over the insult, rather than offended at your gall at having used the word as one.

Actually, I was a tough chick in high school and got called a dyke more than once. However, I always took it as a compliment, because they thought I was bad-ass like a dude.
  • It seems like these confrontations could just be avoided if you would stay out of the Walmart! :P
    (Or is that the only store in the area?)

I'm not saying that he acted well (in fact, he acted like a complete moron), I'm saying you acted obnoxiously too. I would never recommend getting into a brawl, but if he had slugged you then and there, I can't say I would have been that sympathetic.
    Of course, he would have been punching you for the wrong reasons. When people called me a dyke in high school, I took it as a compliment, because they thought I was tough like a guy. If I were to have punched you over a homosexual insult, it wouldn't have been for the offense to me, but because you were a stupid douche for using the word as an insult.
  • Personally, I don't think that the word "faggot" should be used any more freely than the "N word". It's just as hateful, and it exacerbates the same feelings that other such slurs do.

That said, I don't think its use is just cause to stalk and harass someone. He was out of line. And did he really call you out to "the edge of town" with no further directions than that? How in hell's name did he even expect that you would find each other if you were both retarded enough to go for that? He was probably bluffing out of his ass.

I was called a dyke back before I knew that I was anything resembling one, or before I knew what it meant. I was tilting my naiive 14-year old little head while having it explained by some very grave peers.
  • It is indeed a silly thing to challenge someone to a fight in that manner. He was truly a fool!

I used to be called that when I would dominate in floor hockey, so I couldn't complain.
  • It seems like these confrontations could just be avoided if you would stay out of the Walmart! :P
    (Or is that the only store in the area?)

I'm not saying that he acted well (in fact, he acted like a complete moron), I'm saying you acted obnoxiously too. I would never recommend getting into a brawl, but if he had slugged you then and there, I can't say I would have been that sympathetic.
    Yes, this was the only after 9 PM store in my piss-ass little town. Now, there's a Wal-Mart in the city I live at that I shop at, but I haven't seen any foolishness in there yet. And I have gone in both the middle of the day and at the dead of night. Nothing.

I didn't want to fight with him. Whether I could fight him or I would of wanted to kick his ass, I didn't want to do it just because there was no point of it. And yes, he really said the outskirts of town at midnight and 10 seconds later I was like..."...that could be fucking anywhere!"

I think though that my issue with that douchebag , it did teach me a few lessons. If anything, the only negative thing about it was that it scared that shit out of me and it just made me hate the town I hate from even more. (And there's TONS of drunk/booze/sex foolishness there)
  • edited August 2009
    Nuke! I cHALng you to a DULE!

mEat ME in the general vicinity of the USA in 27 MOON HOURS.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • edited September 2009
    mEat you, eh?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I don't know why, but a joke popped into my mind. I'll make it in white since it's not relevant to this thread at all.
    Lets go over to Myspace. You can Twitter my Yahoo and then I'll Google all over your Facebook.
  • I had a roommate once who postulated that hours spent on sex could replace hours of sleep without negative consequences.
    I can assure you that this is completely, 100%, totally false. The debate really should focus on this more pressing question: "is it worth it?"

If it's not, you're doing it wrong.
  • my Yahoo
    imageLike these?
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Lets go over to Myspace. You can Twitter my Yahoo and then I'll Google all over your Facebook.
    That sounds a lot like one of the spiels that Uncle Yo did once that had a line that went like "I'll Boogiepop your Phantom" or something like that. Needless to say, I rofl'd.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Lets go over to Myspace. You can Twitter my Yahoo and then I'll Google all over your Facebook.
    That sounds a lot like one of the spiels that Uncle Yo did once that had a line that went like "I'll Boogiepop your Phantom" or something like that. Needless to say, I rofl'd.
    Or the one that was like "I'll Fooly Cooly your Dragon Balls and you'll laugh so hard you'll spit milk out your *something or other.*" It was great.
  • edited September 2009
    I'll make it in white since it's not relevant to this thread at all.
    While a valiant attempt, as you can see it still degraded discussion into a cavalcade of lame sex jokes. Maybe just try to stay on topic a little better next time.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited September 2009
    "I'll Boogiepop your Phantom"
    "I'll Fooly Cooly your Dragon Balls and you'll laugh so hard you'll spit milk out your *something or other.*"
    No offense intended, but I can't believe anyone thinks that's funny.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • And there's TONS of drunk/booze/sex foolishness there
    And there's tons of it in the city, too. (I know. I had a first floor apartment in the Village on a street with many bars. Oh, the things I'd hear at night...) Just don't act like a fool and you'll be fine wherever you go.
  • "I'll Boogiepop your Phantom"
    "I'll Fooly Cooly your Dragon Balls and you'll laugh so hard you'll spit milk out your *something or other.*"
    No offense intended, but I can't believe anyone thinks that's funny.
    It was the way it was delivered: Rapid fire and in song form. It sounds better coming from him than it does in text.
  • edited September 2009
    It was the way it was delivered: Rapid fire and in song form. It sounds better coming from him than it does in text.
    I heard it. It was actually worse coming from him, in my opinion. :)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • It was the way it was delivered: Rapid fire and in song form. It sounds better coming from him than it does in text.
    I heard it. It was actually worse coming from him, in my opinion. :)
    Oh. Well, alright. Different opinions then. I thought his whole act was hilarious at Otakon.