This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• I had a lot of funteabaggingin the park yesterday and I thought I'd turn in early for Christmas day. So now it's 1:40AM and I'm wide awake and may just end up sleeping through Christmas day.
    Well that's a co-incidence.. I hope you enjoyed it.
  • Boo-Yah: Brian Dunning, host of the Skeptoid podcast, is staying in my apartment.

Fail: I'm not there.
  • Boo-Yah!: My wireless headphones arrived from Amazon today!
    Fail: I need AAA batteries to use it and I...have none. :(

Boo-Yah!: Spill.com featured a blog I did on moneymakers of 2009! http://my.spill.com/profiles/blog/show?id=947994:BlogPost:1872974
    Fail: It's a very rage inducing topic. Especially for some of the later films I mentioned. :X
  • edited January 2010
    Made a decent amount in the last few days from my small business to then find out today that, due to external events, I'm being hit with a series of bank charges which more than wipe out what I've made.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Made a decent amount in the last few days from my small business to then find out today that, due to external events, I'm being hit with a series of bank charges which more than wipe out what I've made..
    That's more of a full on fail than a fail of your boo-yah. Major suckage.
  • Booh-yah: Playing guitar again. Hopefully I can actually manage to not put it down this time.
    Fail: My fingers do not appreciate this.
  • Booh-yah: Playing guitar again. Hopefully I can actually manage to not put it down this time.
    Fail: My fingers do not appreciate this.
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I started playing last month for the first time. Everyone says that it hurts until you get used to it, but I didn't realize that it would continue to linger all the time.
  • This is the third time I'm having to go through it. I am determined to learn to play just so that I don't have to deal with this shit anymore.
  • edited January 2010
    Bah. You wussy guitar players and your fingers. Try bass for a day and then decide if guitar still "hurts".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2010
    You wussy guitar players and your fingers. Try bass for a day and then decide if guitar still "hurts".
    I've been meaning to learn. I'll report back after I thoroughly butcher my hands...FOR SCIENCE.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Try bass for a day and then decide if guitar still "hurts".
    At least that's one thing that makes playing bass hard. :)
    Dayum.
    There is a much lower barrier of entry for being a competent bassist than for being a competent guitarist, yes. However, great guitarists are seemingly a dime a dozen while great bassists are far more rare.

For the record, I play both.
  • There is a much lower barrier of entry for being a competent bassist than for being a competent guitarist, yes. However,great guitarists are seemingly a dime a dozen while great bassists are far more rare.

For the record, I play both.
    Very true. My friend who plays bass for our band played guitar for a long time, and he admits that bass tires his hands out much quicker than guitar ever did. He likes playing bass a lot more though.
  • edited January 2010
    There is a much lower barrier of entry for being acompetentbassist than for being acompetentguitarist, yes. However,greatguitarists are seemingly a dime a dozen whilegreatbassists are far more rare.
    I keed, Sail, I keed. But yes, what you said is true. Though I suspect the disparity between great guitarists and great bassists has more to do with the total numbers of each respectively than anything else. And for the record, I play both too, because anyone who can play guitar can also play bass. :)

(Actually, I filled in on bass with my old band occasionally when our bass player was out, so I do have some experience. The only time it ever tired me out was when I was two-fingering instead of picking, though.)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited January 2010
    Man, you are really out to get my goat today :)

Anyone can play Master of Puppets on guitar. But how many people can slap the same part on bass?

(I can.)
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Anyone can play Master of Puppets on guitar. But how many people can slap the same part on bass?
    Les Claypool's a mutant -- he doesn't count. :)
  • Oh man, I'm suck a sucker for a good bass line. I have to crank the bass solo in the middle of Golden Earring's Twilight Zone everytime I hear it.
  • Oh man, I'm suck a sucker for a good bass line. I have to crank the bass solo in the middle of Golden Earring's Twilight Zone everytime I hear it.
    A gift for you:

• edited January 2010
    Oh man, I'm suck a sucker for a good bass line. I have to crank the bass solo in the middle of Golden Earring's Twilight Zone everytime I hear it.
    Bass solo =/= bassline.

Good basslines:

Early goth bands had great basslines.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited January 2010
    Anyone can play Master of Puppets on guitar. But how many people can slap the same part on bass?
    Les Claypool's a mutant -- he doesn't count. :)
    I believe you missed my subtext :)

More on the subject, solos of any kind of very, very boring. That's the great thing about bass, though. Done right, they can be like playing one long guitar solo.

Check out the line that starts on this song around the :40 mark.

Here's what that snippet of the bassline sounds like on it's own:

(If it says an error occurred, click on the HD button)

The bassist busts this riff out right in the middle of the verse. Not during the bridge, not during a quiet part as a solo. It's not even something you notice unless you're listening for it, yet musically it has all the trappings as a guitar solo. This is why I've always found bass far more interesting to play than guitar. You don't have to be technically skilled to play bass, but there's a lot of room creativity outside of just playing the chord progression.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I believe you missed my subtext :)
    I guess I did -- I'm still not sure I get it.
    The bassist busts this riff out right in the middle of the verse. Not during the bridge, not during a quiet part as a solo. It's not even something you notice unless you're listening for it, yet musically it has all the trappings as a guitar solo. This is why I've always found bass far more interesting to play than guitar. You don't have to be technically skilled to play bass, but there's a lot of room creativity outside of just playing the chord progression.
    I totally get what you mean -- although that bassline sounds a lot more rooted in the chord progression than most guitar solos are likely to be. That's the fun part of playing bass for me, too -- you can walk it all over the place as long as you stay rooted in the chords. It's pretty easy if you know your scales, and it can add a lot to the music.. Most guitar solos, on the other hand, are basically masturbating in public without getting arrested.

To be extra clear -- I respect and appreciate good bass-playing; I was just teasing you.
  • To be extra clear -- I respect and appreciate good bass-playing; I was just teasing you.
    I know, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people say the same thing without kidding, so it's a point worth making.

And all I meant is that I can play that slapped version of MoP. No mutantism required, just a week and a half of practice.
  • And all I meant is that I can play that slapped version of MoP. No mutantism required, just a week and a half of practice.
    Oh, nice! Les Claypool's still a mutant, though.
  • Oh, nice! Les Claypool's still a mutant, though.
    Well, I thought that went without saying.
  • I always found it funny how, in every video of Primus, Les always looks like he's forty years old and the guitarist always looks like a 16 year old kid, in complete disregard to how old or new the footage it.
  • I'm watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer again, and I just got through the episode where Buffy's Mom dies. Easily the most emotionally brutal hour of television I've ever seen -- maybe the most emotionally brutal hour of television ever made. I'm drained.
  • edited January 2010
    I was eating delicious root vegetable chips (think Taro), where upon a shard of one shipped between my teeth and stabbed deep into my gum. Now, I have a killer toothache.

Damn you, delicious root vegetable chips.

EDIT: Man, I wish I had some Novocaine to shoot into my gums. This is horrific.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I was eating delicious root vegetable chips (think Taro), where upon a shard of one shipped between my teeth and stabbed deep into my gum. Now, I have a killer toothache.
    Oh man, I get that with tortilla chips sometimes -- it's horrible.
    EDIT: Man, I wish I had some Novocaine to shoot into my gums. This is horrific.
    Mouth pain really is awful. Can you get hold of some anbesol? They should have it at any drug store.
  • Oh man, I get that with tortilla chips sometimes -- it's horrible.
    I cut my mouth almost every time I eat fresh tortilla chips, but I eat them anyway.