This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Except are they looking to make money off that same or similar code in the future?
    If you give it away once, you can never make money directly off of it again (except from idiots). It's in many ways a worse situation than with musicians. Imagine if, by performing live once, your perfect live performance were now available in every bar forever for free with no discernible difference from the original.

Performing music for free devalues the profession of musician in the same way that volunteering at a soup kitchen devalues the profession of "soup server."
    Not if one is expecting to make money selling that same soup again. (I think the soup analogy is poor, it would be more like giving away a soup recipe and then attempting to sell it later.)
  • Oh man, I get that with tortilla chips sometimes -- it's horrible.
    I cut my mouth almost every time I eat fresh tortilla chips, but I eat them anyway.
    This describes my love/hate relationship with Life cereal back when I was little. It hurt so good...
  • I am on a tight budget and was worried about dipping into savings for gas money and groceries. I then look into my wallet and saw the $50 that I completely forgot about. ^_^
  • edited January 2010
    Not if one is expecting to make money selling that same soup again. (I think the soup analogy is poor, it would be more like giving away a soup recipe and then attempting to sell it later.)
    Baloney! A concert is a one time thing. Seriously, if someone isn't good enough to compete with free entertainment while charging for their stuff, I guess the people didn't really value their performance that much in the first place. People like that piss me off. You never see me whining about "oooh, those web comics! They are taking away the customers of real comic books!" Not only that, but as a musician, he is not making a lasting recording but just giving away a fleeting moment of his music. It's less like Open Source, a semi-lasting thing that will be used time and time again, but more like if I did chalk art for free, just so people would have fun looking at it and praising me until it was washed away by rain. It's like giving away free promotional material, these concerts. I don't know who the heck this guy is. I'm assuming he is not super famous on the internet or in RL, so he should be glad for any attention that he can get as an artist. It doesn't devalue him. In fact, the more people know who he is, the more they will be willing to pay next time around.

Incidentally, JoCo puts all his music online for the free happy listening. Because I saw him at a free concert and then listened to his music online, I would most definitely be more inclined to pay to go see him in NYC for money. If he had no online presence, and no giving away his music, he would not be on my radar, nor that of other geeks.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I read novels on my iPhone, and twice now I've bought a novel after reading one given away for free on their website. Without that free readin', I'd never have given them any of my money.

Also, my entire career come from performing as much as possible, for free, for years.
  • Cory Doctorow is a fantastic example as why people should do things for free.
  • edited January 2010
    Not if one is expecting to make money selling that same soup again (I think the soup analogy is poor, it would be more like giving away a soup recipe and then attempting to sell it later.)
    So legitimate musicians who play free shows can never expect to reasonably make money on their shows? I've seen Joan Jett live, for free, and I know that she can still make money on her shows. If the entertainment is good enough, people will pay to see it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • This guy isn't reading the forum guys... >_>
  • Cory Doctorow is a fantastic example as why people should do things for free.
    Except his latest book is a pile of shit. He really isn't a good fiction writer. The only reason he's known as a novelist is because he gives his stuff away for free, and he only gets so many people to read it because he has one of the most popular blogs on the internet. This is good thing, because it shows that the free model can work. I just wish someone who could actually write fiction would have got there first.
  • edited January 2010
    Not if one is expecting to make money selling that same soup again (I think the soup analogy is poor, it would be more like giving away a soup recipe and then attempting to sell it later.)
    So legitimate musicians who play free shows can never expect to reasonably make money on their shows? I've seen Joan Jett live, for free, and I know that she can still make money on her shows. If the entertainment is good enough, people will pay to see it.
    1) Do you see the place you started? Well there was a canyon between that and where you are now. I am mighty impressed by the distance you got on that leap, but boy-howdy that landing was rough.
    2) This isn't my point to argue. I can see where he is coming from and that is about it. His stance = his argument. I am just the messenger who is also annoyed at him.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Except his latest book is a pile of shit.
    Makers? Got it for Christmas, haven't read it yet.
  • I had my second judo class yesterday (my first real class) since I quit martial arts a few years ago in favor of sitting on my ass. I am brutally sore all over. My big muscles like my shoulders and chest and legs are fine, but all the little muscles inbetween and under the big muscles are screaming. I don't think there's a single way to move that doesn't hurt. My back hurts when I laugh. Every time I started a new martial art before, I had some reasonable baseline level of fitness going so it wasn't so bad, but this is crazy. And I only get one more day to recover before I get to go back. But still, doing martial arts again == boo yah.
  • It's fine to choose not to perform without being compensated. That's a personal choice, and even we rarely lecture at events without compensation in some form. But to make the argument that anyone else doing this is somehow, in any way, a bad thing, is ludicrous.
  • Awww, we just mad, 'cause he's being so stupid.
    Read part one, then don't read the rest. It seriously isn't worth it.
    I am disappoint. I was really looking forward to that.
    I am disappoint. I was really looking forward to that.
    Part one is okay, and a kind-of complete story in itself, so just pretend you are reading a novella.
  • 1) Do you see the place you started? Well there was a canyon between that and where you are now. I am mighty impressed by the distance you got on that leap, but boy-howdy that landing was rough.
    That's how us good ol' boys do things!
    2) This isn't my point to argue. I can see where he is coming from and that is about it. His stance = his argument. I am just the messenger who is also annoyed at him.
    I know it's not your point, but you're arguing it, so I'm arguing back. :P

You're right, it's entirely his choice to be a dumbass. His reasoning is stupid, though. I could understand if he had other paying gigs lined up and this was interfering, but free shows = publicity, and in a world saturated with original music, publicity is what counts.
  • What Pete said. Your friend is being dumb.
  • edited January 2010
    What Pete said. Your friend is being dumb.
    He isn't a friend, he is a band mate. I am not being persnickety, I just would never want to befriend that dude.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So when is this gig anyhow?
    Yeah, I want to see you guys perform at least once. ^_^
  • Camera + youtube at the very least.
    Yeah, I want to see you guys perform at least once. ^_^
    It is being hashed out. I will post details when we have them assuming Snooty-Pants doesn't ruin it for us.
  • Boo-Yah: After two failed attempts, I finished knitting my first complete left hand glove!
    Fail: My web cam is not compatible with Win7 or Ubuntu.
  • Boo-Yah: I just got back from seeing Nile and Immolation. Nile is readily the most ferocious metal band on the face of the planet, and Immolation is right up there with them. The concert was excellent, though the venue was a bit small.

Fail the First: Abigail Williams, an amazing and extremely aggressive black metal band, was supposed to provide support on the tour. However, due an injury sustained by the drummer, they had to cancel their involvement with the tour. Suck.

Fail the Second: So, I've seen the most ferocious metal band on earth play live, which has left me wondering: what's left? I think metal is done. Time to listen to country.
  • Time to listen to country.
    Don't. Trust me. Just...Don't. I would sooner recommend bubble-gum pop than country.
  • which has left me wondering: what's left?
    The world's most passive and nonchalant metal band?
  • edited January 2010
    The world's most passive and nonchalant metal band?
    It'd be like James Blunt as Krauser.

"You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
    You're beautiful, it's true.
    I saw your face in a crowded place,
    And I knew what I had to do,
    Some rapes are gonna happen,
    To you."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The world's most passive and nonchalant metal band?
    It'd be like James Blunt as Krauser.

"You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
    You're beautiful, it's true.
    I saw your face in a crowded place,
    And I knew what I had to do,
    Some rapes are gonna happen,
    To you."
    You know what, I'd buy that just to send it to James Blunt for him hear it.