This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Office romance

Comments

• I dare someone to make a "Women are like _________ because they _________" thread while Kate is in the room.
    That is actually very much like jokes Adam and I make on car trips. Like I said in a previous geek chat you say "I like my women like I like my (noun), (descriptor), (descriptor), and (descriptor)." For instance, I like my women like I like my coffee, dark, strong, and ground up in my freezer. It works just as well replacing "women" with "men".
    This reminds me of a song from back in high school.

"I like my girls like my cheese; preferably for me fat free American singles only."
  • falls completely flat in text.
    What about A Modest Proposal?
  • I dare someone to make a "Women are like _________ because they _________" thread while Kate is in the room.
    That is actually very much like jokes Adam and I make on car trips. Like I said in a previous geek chat you say "I like my women like I like my (noun), (descriptor), (descriptor), and (descriptor)." For instance, I like my women like I like my coffee, dark, strong, and ground up in my freezer. It works just as well replacing "women" with "men".
    Airplane! uses this joke very well.
  • So I'm just a worthless human being? *cry*
    Don't worry about it, the health plan is pretty good. *Worthless human beings unite pose.*
    The definitions of "worthwhile human being" and "dating material" are subjective. You may be the first but not the second to one girl, while you may be both to another, and you may be neither to yet another. The key is to find the girl that is (a) both worthwhile and dating material who (b) thinks you are both.

Anyone who does not find you worthwhile is not going to be interested in dating you, so why not move on? Trying to make everyone OK can only lead to the loss of your tenuous grasp on sanity.
  • edited October 2009
    I wasn't making a sexist joke about women or dating. I was making a joke about the reaction to such jokes on this forum.
    You mean one woman that gets offended and everyone else being fine with it?
    Look, like I said, I take this seriously because unintelligent people say this shit seriously. I bet all of us encounter such people on a semi-regular basis. I speak up when intelligent people say this shit because it seems to almost enable/allow the attitudes in others.
    We all have lines that we prefer others not cross. This is one of mine.
    Like I said, I am serious business about this subject. Others may not be and they can ridicule me or write me off as much as they want. I bet some of these are also the people that don't say a word when they hear these jokes coming from people that actually believe them.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • For instance, I like my women like I like my coffee, dark, strong, and ground up in my freezer.
    I like my women like I like my coffee: bound in burlap sacks in airtight shipping containers.
  • falls completely flat in text.
    What aboutA Modest Proposal?
    This!

There was nothing in my initial post that had anything to do with tone of voice, or facial expressions, or anything. It was completely contained within the flat text on the flat screen. Some people, I figure, use the "sarcasm doesn't work in text" excuse to cover the fact that they just don't get the joke.

My second post was slightly more complex, but the final line was added for tonal reasons.
  • edited October 2009
    This reminds me of a song from back in high school.

"I like my girls like my cheese; preferably for me fat free American singles only."
    That would be "Three Point One Four" from The Bloodhound Gang's album Hooray for Boobies.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I wasn't making a sexist joke about women or dating. I was making a joke about the reaction to such jokes on this forum.
    You mean one woman that gets offended and everyone else being fine with it?
    Look, like I said, I take this seriously because unintelligent people say this shit seriously. I bet all of us encounter such people on a semi-regular basis. I speak up when intelligent people say this shit because it seems to almost enable/allow the attitudes in others.
    We all have lines that we prefer others not cross. This is one of mine.
    Like I said, I am serious business about this subject. Others may not be and they can ridicule me or write me off as much as I want. I bet some of these are also the people that don't say a word when they hear these jokes coming from people that actually believe them.
    I understand where you're coming with this, I really do. And you're right in many ways.
    But I've seen both in my offline and online life that people don't care. If they think something is funny and should be taken as a joke, then they will continue to say it regardless of how offended you get. I've often found people being offended by me being offended. They get angry at me for asking them to not make certain jokes around me.
    The point is, you have every right to think what you do, but it's highly unlikely you're going to be able to get through to them, as they don't mean anything negative by what they say, so they can't picture it being negative like you do.
  • edited October 2009
    falls completely flat in text.
    What aboutA Modest Proposal?
    This!

There was nothing in my initial post that had anything to do with tone of voice, or facial expressions, or anything. It was completely contained within the flat text on the flat screen. Some people, I figure, use the "sarcasm doesn't work in text" excuse to cover the fact that they just don't get the joke.

My second post was slightly more complex, but the final line was added for tonal reasons.
    A Modest Proposal was well written. Need I say more?
  • Like I said, I am serious business about this subject. Others may not be and they can ridicule me or write me off as much as they want. I bet some of these are also the people that don't say a word when they hear these jokes coming from people that actually believe them.
    I am serious about comedy, and also satire. Your attitude here is like saying nobody can ever make a joke about someone using an argument referring to Hitler or the Holocaust on an internet forum, because joking about the use of a reference to a historical figure who ordered people to kill Jews is a serious issue!
  • edited October 2009
    Like I said, I am serious business about this subject. Others may not be and they can ridicule me or write me off as much as they want. I bet some of these are also the people that don't say a word when they hear these jokes coming from people that actually believe them.
    I am serious about comedy, and also satire. Your attitude here is like saying nobody can ever make a joke about someone using an argument referring to Hitler or the Holocaust on an Internet forum, because joking about the use of a reference to a historical figure who ordered people to kill Jews is a serious issue!
    I didn't say that people couldn't make any joke they like. I encourage people to exercise their freedom of speech as I have been doing. I am saying that your joke was neither cleverly written nor funny by virtue of its content. There are jokes that work in writing on any subject. By my standards of humor, which are totally subjective, it wasn't funny.
    Can you get over the fact that someone thinks your joke wasn't funny?

EDIT:
    I understand where you're coming with this, I really do. And you're right in many ways.
    But I've seen both in my offline and online life that people don't care. If they think something is funny and should be taken as a joke, then they will continue to say it regardless of how offended you get. I've often found people being offended by me being offended. They get angry at me for asking them to not make certain jokes around me.
    The point is, you have every right to think what you do, but it's highly unlikely you're going to be able to get through to them, as they don't mean anything negative by what they say, so they can't picture it being negative like you do.
    First, when I say offended, I am not actually incensed, I simply dislike the sentiment and/or method of communication. Secondly, I do not expect anyone to stop doing or saying whatever they care to; however, I will also not stop saying whatever I care to. When someone crosses a line, I let them know. If it accomplishes nothing other than saying what I thought, then that is a-okay by me.
  • The definitions of "worthwhile human being" and "dating material" are subjective. You may be the first but not the second to one girl, while you may be both to another, and you may be neither to yet another. The key is to find the girl that is (a) both worthwhile and dating material who (b) thinks you are both.

Anyone who does not find you worthwhile is not going to be interested in dating you, so why not move on? Trying to make everyone OK can only lead to the loss of your tenuous grasp on sanity.
    So I'm just not dating material it? That's so much better.

This thread has made me very depressed.
  • The definitions of "worthwhile human being" and "dating material" are subjective. You may be the first but not the second to one girl, while you may be both to another, and you may be neither to yet another. The key is to find the girl that is (a) both worthwhile and dating material who (b) thinks you are both.

Welcome to the Internet! Our hobby: depressing you! No charge.
  • Welcome to the Internet! Our hobby: depressing you! No charge.
    I love free!!! ^_^
    I love free!!! ^_^
    Everything's better free.

Yeah, that's exactly what I just said. Totally asserted that the value judgment is objective and that you will be weighed, measured, and found wanting by everyone you come across. Because, you know, how one girl feels is the exact same way that every single other human on the planet will feel.

Either learn some reading comprehension skills or do a better job of indicating sarcasm, because you sound like an idiot right now.
    I love free!!! ^_^
    Everything's better free.
    W00000T!!!
  • edited October 2009

...Okay, so maybe I got carried away.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Courage wolf does make everything better...
    Works every time...
  • Can you get over the fact that someone thinks your joke wasn't funny?
    Can't you get over the fact that you just don't find some jokes funny? It's okay, you know, as you were the subject of the joke. If someone was making a joke at my expense, I might not find it funny either. However, instead of attacking the joke, I'd probably realise that to other people it could be funny, realise I'm not the intended audience for the joke, and maybe try to make a joke in return. What I wouldn't do is continue the exact same behaviour that elicited the joke in the first place, and complain when yet another joke is told about that very response.

Nothing personal, you understand, I'll take the piss out of the first person to say "Godwin!" at my previous post too.
  • Sounds like someone needs to come to my Dealing with Drama workshop that my brain wrote while I was trying to fall asleep. Wonder if I should try to make it into a panel or something...hmmm.
  • ...Okay, so maybe I got carried away.
    HAHAHAHA! You can't go wrong with that.

I really wish I had anything to contribute to this thread, but I don't have anything. I can go weeks at a time without seeing any girls my age at work. Also, in my 23 years of life, I have never been un-single, so... yeah. I just had to comment on courage wolf.
  • Sounds like someone needs to come to my Dealing with Drama workshop that my brain wrote while I was trying to fall asleep. Wonder if I should try to make it into a panel or something...hmmm.
    I would go to such a panel if it existed.
    Drama should be dealt with swiftly.

In the face.

With a brick.
  • Also, in my 23 years of life, I have never been un-single
    I hear you brother. High five.
    *Somewhat unenthusiastic high five*
    *Both turn back to look into their glasses.*
    Sigh..
    I would go to such a panel if it existed.
    Indeed, provided there are witty lols.
  • edited October 2009
    @ LB: What makes you assume that I don't understand that other people find it funny?
    I did attempt to make a joke in return by continuing the joke as your straight man. You didn't see that (which I understand) but then I made another joke about liking how a stick up my ass feels (lame, I admit, but a joke nonetheless). I then explained my position further as it seemed you did not understand where I was coming from.
    I don't take offense to being teased (as I said before) - I make fun of myself and even intentionally make myself the clown for other people's amusement (like trying to play the straight man). I fully comprehend that some think that my apparent overreaction to this kind of joke is comical. I laugh at myself for it. I continue to elaborate on my point as I don't think others are understanding my intent.
    I am not going to change my behavior because other people think it is comical. Most of the time, I like making people lagh (both at me and with me). More importantly, I act as I see fit, not to please or conform simply to keep others from laughing.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    @gedavids Why is it so hard to listen to this valid and good advice that is actually useful and can give you good results (most of the time) in the real world? If you don't want to listen, then don't, but I just want to say that it's your loss. As everyone remembers there was a whole episode of my first crush (having never felt anything like that before) and I went through a lot, but it was the rest of you forumites who really helped me get through that rough patch. So trust me when I say that it's good advice to both follow and live by...or maybe you're afraid to take the risk? If such is the case, get rid of that fear right now as it will only eat away at yourself from the inside out.
    Post edited by Geo on