This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Office romance

Comments

• Fair enough. I'm just saying that continually playing the straight man is the weirdest way to go about making yourself a clown for other people's amusement. Just so I know for the future: is saying someone's joke isn't funny and badly written and has no value, and that you find it offensive... is that always playing the straight man? And complaining about the jokes too? Because I'm confused. In alternating posts you are saying you act like this because it is actually who you are and what you think, and you can't help it, and then you say you are doing so as some kind of joke.

You see, in this post I'm not making any jokes, and being serious. You can tell, because I'm not making any jokes, and I'm being serious. If there is no way to tell the difference in your posts, could you try to give some kind of sign that you are being serious or making a joke? You know, like actually say something that could be viewed as funny (like the enjoying the stick up the arse comment) or a smiley face or something?
  • Also, I know where you are coming from, as you outlined your arguments in another thread. I was, however, referencing that thread directly in my first joke, so you knew I knew where you were coming from already.
  • Sounds like someone needs to come to my Dealing with Drama workshop that my brain wrote while I was trying to fall asleep. Wonder if I should try to make it into a panel or something...hmmm.
    1. Don't start it.
    2. Don't deal with people who make it.
    3. Don't get into other peoples drama.

Those rules worked for me well these past few years. If I crave some, I'll read a shojo.
  • @gedavids Why is it so hard to listen to this valid and good advice that is actually useful and can give you good results (most of the time) in the real world? If you don't want to listen, then don't, but I just want to say that it's your loss. As everyone remembers there was a whole episode of my first crush (having never felt anything like that before) and I went through a lot, but it was the rest of you forumites who really helped me get through that rough patch. So trust me when I say that it's good advice to both follow and live by...or maybe you're afraid to take the risk? If such is the case, get rid of that fear right now as it will only eat away at yourself from the inside out.
    ...and this is why I normally keep this shit to myself.
  • I'd suggest looking at the Dating topic too, as I share some advice there. Saying that, reading this comment feels a bit weird:
    10. Also, having no topic off limits and being honest makes things stress free.
    Eg. "Will we be together for ever and ever?"
    "Statisticly that is quite unlikely."
    "That's not very romantic."
    "I know, but this way I don't have to remember what I said next time you ask me, and if we do break up in the future I won't be a liar."
    (you get a point if you worked out it was me who asked my girlfriend the first question)
    ... you know, now that I'm single.
  • I'd suggest looking at theDatingtopic too, as I share some advice there. Saying that, reading this comment feels a bit weird:
    10. Also, having no topic off limits and being honest makes things stress free.
    Eg. "Will we be together for ever and ever?"
    "Statisticly that is quite unlikely."
    "That's not very romantic."
    "I know, but this way I don't have to remember what I said next time you ask me, and if we do break up in the future I won't be a liar."
    (you get a point if you worked out it was me who asked my girlfriend the first question)
    ... you know, now that I'm single.I'm sorry, I don't follow.
  • I'm sorry, I don't follow.
    As an example of how honesty in a relationship is a good thing, I recounted an exchange I had with my loving girlfriend (of 4.5 years) where I asked her if we'd be together for ever. I finished my story as she said the line "I know, but this way I don't have to remember what I said next time you ask me, and if we do break up in the future I won't be a liar."

Now I'm single. And, as we broke up, my girlfriend never was a liar on the question of "Will we be together forever?"

It feels a bit weird. I'm just sayin'.
  • My Mom and Dad met and started dating at work despite the office policy. They kept it quiet and when they had determined that their relationship was worthwhile on a long term basis my Mom found another job.
    I know, and it's cool that it worked out for them (and you by extension :P), but this is not the majority case by far. You can make a calculated move (finding a job closer to the other half of a long-distance relationship, for example), but you shouldn't be reckless to the point of jeopardizing your financial stability for the sake of a crush. Plenty of fish in the sea and so forth.
  • Plenty of fish in the sea and so forth.
    demotivate
    If that's what believe...then you are alone, there is no hope.
  • If you're in the desert, just build a fish out of sand!

And then fuck it.

I think the metaphor is lost.
    demotivate
    If that's what believe...then you are alone, there is no hope.
    :P
    If you're in the desert, just build a fish out of sand!

And then fuck it.

I think the metaphor is lost.
    This can only end poorly...
  • If that's what believe...then you are alone, there is no hope.
    Horseshit. I believed that for quite a while, and Then, out of nowhere, I discovered I was wrong.
  • edited October 2009
    Dealing with Drama
    1. Don't start it.
    2. Don't deal with people who make it.
    3. Don't get into other peoples drama.

Those rules worked for me well these past few years. If I crave some, I'll read a shojo.
    It's basically a self-awareness and communication presentation/workshop. I fully hold that prevention is the best method of dealing with drama, but sometimes someone brings it in. Those are the times you have to use the Drama Hammer. However, a lack of self-awareness and/or effective communication skills usually results in a massive fumbling of the Drama Hammer, and you end up smashing your thumb.
    Plenty of fish in the sea and so forth.
    Says the man who was about to give up on finding a woman who wasn't batshit crazy and manipulative. There may be lots of fish, but most of them are improperly eviscerated and moldy.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited October 2009
    Calmness guys, I just found that picture funny.

I mean there has to be a fish under one of these rocks, right? Right???
    There may be lots of fish, but most of them are improperly eviscerated and moldy.
    LOL! Well played madam.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Says the man who was about to give up on finding a woman who wasn't batshit crazy and manipulative.
    Hey, I only said there were plenty of fish. I never once said anything about the quality of said fish. :P

My ex has Ukranian and Russian ancestry. Troublesome lot, those Russian fish.
  • edited October 2009
    My ex has Ukranian and Russian ancestry. Troublesome lot, those Russian fish.
    Hmmmmm, I dunno. I've got a Polish/Russian one, and she's top-notch. Maybe it's the Ukrainian.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • My ex has Ukranian and Russian ancestry. Troublesome lot, those Russian fish.
    Hmmmmm, I dunno. I've got a Polish/Russian one, and she's top-notch. Maybe it's the Ukrainian.
    Well, I can't say that all Russian fish are poorly eviscerated and moldy. It's just that there's a greater tendency for Russian fish to be poorly eviscerated and moldy. If I were a betting man, and we were betting on a race as to which one becomes moldy first, I'd pick the Russian fish every time, but that's not to say that all Russian fish are moldy; some are entirely too vodka-soaked to be hospitable for any mold growth at all.
  • This can only end poorly...
    And with chafing.
    Says the man who was about to give up on finding a woman who wasn't batshit crazy and manipulative. There may be lots of fish, but most of them are improperly eviscerated and moldy.
    I'd be happy with a woman who doesn't fucking shoot me again. Or smash a coffee mug over my head. Or abandon me in a foreign country with no friends or resources.

Apparently Highly related -
  • I'd be happy with a woman who doesn't fucking shoot me again
    Wow, OK, I'm never complaining about crazy bitches ever again.
    Not to mention, he's Australian, which means to reach adulthood he's already survived horrors most of us couldn't imagine in our worst nightmares.
  • I'd be happy with a woman who doesn't fucking shoot me again. Or smash a coffee mug over my head. Or abandon me in a foreign country with no friends or resources.
    Hey man, your motto should be

so just

even though

Because Butterfingers is always relevant, and if it isn't I will make it relevant.
  • edited October 2009
    Gets better - the one that busted the coffee mug over my head was playfully tugging the phone away by the cord as I was trying to do a weird, floppy belly crawl over to it/drag myself to it so I could call an ambulance.
    Because Butterfingers is always relevant, and if it isn't I will make it relevant.
    I love you so bad right now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ah, I love Courage Wolf.
    Not to mention, he's Australian, which means to reach adulthood he's already survived horrors most of us couldn't imagine in our worst nightmares.
    Oh come on. Vegemite's not that bad.

Also, I had never heard of Butterfingers until this very second. Cool stuff.
  • Also, I had never heard of Butterfingers until this very second. Cool stuff.
    Australian hip hop is a hell of a lot better than what American hip hop has become recently. Also, check out the Hilltop hoods.
  • Australian hip hop is a hell of a lot better than what American hip hop has become recently.
    Is Butterfingers all that popular in Australia? There's still awesome hip hop coming out in the states, it's just not at the top of the sales charts.
  • edited October 2009
    Is Butterfingers all that popular in Australia? There's still awesome hip hop coming out in the states, it's just not at the top of the sales charts.
    Nope, but they're one of the awesome ones, Much like Hilltop hoods, bliss and esso, and Murph and Platonic, just for a few examples, and we don't get the stuff that doesn't top the charts in America in the mainstream, sort of like how you don't get anything from Australia in the states, and if you do, it tends to be either re-made for Americans (Kath and Kim, the one with Selma Blair) or most people don't know it's Mostly Australian(Mythbusters, Farscape).
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks guys, specially Gomi, Kate and Nuri. I am a QC Biologist temp until Dicember 21st, and I am currently looking for other places to work. The girl in question lives near my house and she is pretty cool. I remember the "sexual harassment" training that I got on my first week, which was basically a pretty weird video from the 90s. I have seen many couples at work so I assume it is allowed. We have eaten lunch together but as a group with the rest of my friends from my lab. I am not sure how close we are though. I am a little confuse when it comes to see if she likes me or not. She is open to experience new things such as anime, etc. She is not afraid to make a fool of herself (her Halloween costume is a member from "Jen and the Holograms") She is smart, though I had to help her when she needed to get drivers for her printer/scanner, since she didn't know that most drivers are readily available online, and that we do not have to pay for them (that kind of surprised me a little).
    At least I make her laugh :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited October 2009
    Jen
    Protip: It's "Jem and the Holograms."

Otherwise, go get 'er tiger.

EDIT: Also, every time Churba posts, I get more excited about the fact that I'll likely be living in Australia for a while, either after med school or while studying bio abroad.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on