This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I've been watching some weird shit lately. It started with a movie called Norwegian Ninja, about the real Soviet spy and Norwegian traitor Arne Treholt and his fictional troupe of ninjas trying to stop a fictional NATO terrorist army. Very good satire of spy films. A lot of the humor I couldn't tell if it was very high brow or very low brow.

From there, I watched Super. Which said "oh, Kick-Ass, you thought you were being tough? Let's have Dwight from The Office's recovering addict wife get kidnapped by drug dealers so he hallucinates that God tells him to kill people with a monkey wrench. THAT is tough." Very good, but hard to watch. Couldn't look at the screen at times.

Then, at midnight 30, I watched Clockwork Orange for the first time. It reminded me of watching Videodrome at 2AM at the Sci-Fi film festival and waking up to see James Woods' hand had become a turkey with a gun implant. I picked this film from the Netflix category "Mind-Bending Movies." That's fun. It's the only way the could put Trainspotting, Apocalypse Now, and Jim Henson's The Storyteller in one place. Dug through that and the "Independent" movies and I've got a fairly substantial list of movies to watch.

The first of these was "Cashback" a surreal mood peace about how fucking boring killing time is. Netflix says its about a guy who discovers that he can freeze time and so he starts stripping people, but it's a lot stranger than that (I know, that's saying something) and a lot less sexual. I really enjoyed it, though I'll forgive a movie a lot if it is original.
  • Happythankyoumoreplease is kinda sappy.
  • Teeth was terrible. Boo on my girlfriend's friend for saying otherwise.
  • Teeth was terrible. Boo on my girlfriend's friend for saying otherwise.
    Vagina dentata is fucking terrifying.
  • edited January 2012
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the anti-James Bond. It is basically what Eddie Izzard is talking about right here. So laconic and subtle.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited January 2012
    Daryl Surat was 100% correct, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra is totally pro.
    That was one of the most painful movies I've ever sat through.
    You're right, it was painfully awesome.

No.
    I learned a long time ago to never ever trust Daryl Surat on movie recommendations because he is invariably wrong 3/4 of the time.
    It depends on your mindset when you watch the film. If you've entered what I call the "Suratzone," his recommendations are always spot one. If you haven't, he's crazy.

Bear in mind that accessing the Suratzone usually requires large quantities of alcohol for most people who aren't Daryl Surat. He was born there and can access that higher state of consciousness at will.
    I consider myself a frequent visitor of the Suratzone (and without alcohol, to boot!), but that movie is marked in my head as one of the worst times I've had at a movie theater ever.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Watched Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, and it was very underwhelming. While it seemed to be decent, it then got cheesy and stupid. Pretty much how much comic book to movie adaptations go. The Dresden Files tv series had it better.
  • You guys have to understand, I love terrible movies, but only of they're a very specific kind of bad. I will never say that they are objectively good, but I will always say that they entertained me thoroughly. GI Joe: Rise of Cobra is an affront to the art of filmmaking from an objective sense, but it managed to push almost all of my bad movie buttons in such a way that made me absolutely love it. It was just so unbelievably stupid that it almost became endearing in my eyes.

I will say, though, that GI Joe: Retaliation is going to be the Greatest Movie EVER! when it comes out.
  • I will say, though, that GI Joe: Retaliation is going to be the Greatest Movie EVER! when it comes out.
    Be watching the ATW9K feed.

• Did we discuss it? I forget.

When they did announce a GI Joe sequel, I just did a facepalm. When I watched the trailer, I actually was very surprised and it looks way more promising than the first because of the cast. I really hope that Dumb-jock-whathisfacewiththestupidname-Tatum dies early in the movie.
  • I love the first GI Joe film and look forward to the sequel. The first was like, Red Alert 3 : The Movie, and I love me some Red Alert 3...
  • I just bought Space Adventures Cobra because HMC had it on offer for three pounds. English language version directed by Carl Macek. Bracing for impact.
  • Just came back from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

My review: "Sweet!"
  • If you're in the mood for a laugh out loud dark comedy, I cannot recommend "Wristcutters: A Love Story" enough. It made me want to kill myself, but in a happy way, like OD'ing on chocolate syrup.

Best Bad movie I've seen in a while.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    After years of putting it off, I finally got around to watching Ethan & Joel Coen's "Fargo". Prior to watching it; almost every movie related site I went to or any person I knew who has seen it has gushed about it like a geyser. Not to sound ignorant, but what is so great about it? Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good, but is it the masterpiece that everyone claims it is? My theory is that nothing like it existed before it came out and derivations of it have come out over the years.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched "The Beauty and The Beast 3D"
    Some parts are beautifully animated. However, the recently remastered film in 3D also enhances the certain parts of bad animation that it has. It is kind of uneven and that kind of annoyed me during the whole movie.
    Also when the The Beast became human again it remaindered me of a re-generation.
  • After years of putting it off, I finally got around to watching Ethan & Joel Coen's "Fargo". Prior to watching it; almost every movie related site I went to or any person I knew who has seen it has gushed about it like a geyser. Not to sound ignorant, but what is so great about it? Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good, but is it the masterpiece that everyone claims it is? My theory is that nothing like it existed before it came out and derivations of it have come out over the years.
    Like what?
  • edited January 2012
    Just watched The Prestige because it was the next on the list. Pretty good. I recommend. My only complaint is that it failed to keep a secret, which was sort of the point of the movie.
    The Prestige was really frustrating for me. It made me legitimately mad.
    Seriously, if I could duplicate myself, I would do it half a dozen times in secret. Then we would kick our enemies asses together as a gang, do crazy stage tricks where we pop up all over the place from concealed doors, and later that night have crazy make out time together. To keep killing yourself is counterproductive.

Post edited by gomidog on
  • I watched "Wittgenstein" because I had recently been reading about that particular philosopher. The movie seems bogus to me. Maybe I'm the idiot, but I honestly thought the movie was just bad.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    After years of putting it off, I finally got around to watching Ethan & Joel Coen's "Fargo". Prior to watching it; almost every movie related site I went to or any person I knew who has seen it has gushed about it like a geyser. Not to sound ignorant, but what is so great about it? Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good, but is it the masterpiece that everyone claims it is? My theory is that nothing like it existed before it came out and derivations of it have come out over the years.
    Like what?
    I have no idea. The amount of movies that I've seen that bear similarities to Fargo are numerous. I'm really hoping that someone will step in and explain to me what is it about Fargo that makes it as acclaimed as it is. I really don't know what to make of it other than the fact that I liked it. I feel that there is more to it that I'm not getting.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched "Selome's Last Dance." Ken Russel's adaptation of the Oscar Wilde play "Selome." One of the stranger films I've seen, it is framed as a production of the play being put on for Oscar himself, leading to some strangely fourth wall breaking moments, like when Oscar talks to characters, characters flirt with Oscar, or when Oscar and the golden nymph briefly leave the film all together to go fuck. Also, the last 10 minutes of the film are Oscar talking about how much he loved it, which I interpreted as Russel saying "Fuck you, my movies are awesome!" and subsequently being arrested. I liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • I saw The Princess Bride for the first time.
  • I saw The Princess Bride for the first time.
    WTFBBQ
    I seen it maybe 1000 times.
  • It's cool Sail. Hope you enjoyed it. I have to watch Blade Runner and I own the damn thing.
  • I have seen 149 out of the IMDB top 250
  • Haven't seen Blade Runner yet either.
    If you only watch the IMDB top 250 you'll only see homogeneous quality. Nothing weird or different. You'll never get to see "Wristcutters: A Love Story," "Norwegian Ninja," or "Executive Koala," just to name a few.
    If you only watch the IMDB top 250 you'll only see homogeneous quality. Nothing weird or different. You'll never get to see "Wristcutters: A Love Story," "Norwegian Ninja," or "Executive Koala," just to name a few.
    Yeah, because I've only seen 149 movies in my entire life. Go watch Ebola Syndrome, then you can talk to me about seeing something weird or different.
  • And let us not forget the cinematic wonder that is Thankskilling.