This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Tangled rules.
  • Tangled rules.
    Hells yeah.
  • Watching Thirst.. Pretty good!
  • Watched MacArthur the other day. Very good historical war movie IMHO.
  • edited December 2011
    Saw King Arthur the other night, the one with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley.

It was absolutely fucking awful. Not even so-bad-it's-good, it's just plain terrible.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2011
    Saw King Arthur the other night, the one with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley.
    the one with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley.
    Clive Owen and Keira Knightley.
    Keira Knightley.
    Yup.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Cronos is really really good, but really really depressing.
  • Two documentaries. The Parking Lot Movie, which is about what happens when really smart people become parking lot attendants, and Chops, which is about high school jazz musicians. Both highly recommended.
  • Arthur Christmas. Surprisingly wonderful!
  • Another 29 hours sitting on planes means plenty of time for movies! I caught up on some documentaries I've heard about and wanted to see. I don't normally chose to watch documentaries when selecting movies to watch with other people, but on a plane I've only got me to prove.

Senna.
    http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1709218841/
    Probably the best documentary I've seen in a loooong time. Ayrton Senna is a legend for a reason, not just because he died so young, and this film captures that perfectly. I cried many times, for many different reasons, which is a good thing.

Also, due to my dodgy memory, I had the footage of Roland Ratzenburger's crash and death the day before Senna's mixed up in my mind, and only 16 years after the fact did I realize my mistake.

Tabloid.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1704619/
    Very, very, very funny. It tells a story that is so bonkers you're not quite sure it could possibly be true. But it is a true story. Which makes it even funnier. The documentary is built around six interviews, including one with the perpetrator of the crime. What is the crime? "A former Miss Wyoming who is charged with abducting and imprisoning a young Mormon Missionary" and that is just the start!

JFK: 3 Shots That Changed America
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523308/
    You've all seen the Zapruder film, and Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot in the basement of the police station, but there was a lot of other footage which hasn't had anywhere near the same exposure. This is three hours of that footage, put together to tell the story of the 48 hours around JFK and Oswald's killings, and then the story of the how the conspiracy theories began.

Watching this movie you'll see how it's totally obvious that Oswald acted alone during the day of the shooting, at least, and that the total incompetence of the Dallas police was the main contributing factor to any conspiracy theories.

Non-documentaries:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    Surprisingly not as shit as I thought it would be. Terrible special effects, but once my mind accepted the plastic/fake looking apes, it's really enjoyable. A million plot holes, but for some reason I didn't care.

Captain America.
    I think Thor spoiled me for comic book movies. This had similar production values, but the story and characters needed work. A lot of work. I could get into the action of Thor because the rules were set, and the capabilities of the super powers were clear, and then the story played out logically. In Captain America, it was never clear what Captain America could do, or what the bad guy could do, and so it devolved into who could hit who first. And I couldn't work out how so many American troops could just waltz around Germany DURING the second world war.

Horrible Bosses.
    Got about 20 minutes into this and turned it off. Sooooo shit.

I made up the rest of the time by reading, sleeping and watching Mr. Bean episodes. Mr. Bean is awesome, and I've not seen many of these for maybe 15 years, and I never realized just how much influence this show had on my own professional career.
  • We just got back from seeing The Descendants. I really enjoyed it, but it isn't my favorite Alexander Payne creation.

A few weeks ago Adam and I watched The Trip. And I echo Andrew in his
    Fucking yeah...
  • Forest Warrior is a movie where Chuck Norris can transform into a bear, does a literal Falcon Kick, and grabs a running chainsaw blade and stops it.
  • Forest Warrior is a movie where Chuck Norris can transform into a bear, does a literal Falcon Kick, and grabs a running chainsaw blade and stops it.
    I see that you have somehow gotten IMDB to go along with this gag of yours. Chuck Norris turning into a bear, Good one.

• Saw Arthur Christmas. Damn good movie, it's way better than the trailers have it look. It has just an unabashed, joy-filled, not cynical idea of the love with Christmas, that it just warms your heart. And all the main Santa characters, are actually kind of shades of gray, which I really love. I want to buy this movie when it comes out, it's that good for me.
  • Just watched Oldboy. That is one fucked up film.
  • Just watched Modern Times. It's from 1936, but the name doesn't need changing.
  • Just watched Oldboy. That is one fucked up film.
    You see Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance yet?
  • I watched Eagle vs Shark. It's a very strange movie about two socially inept nerds falling in love in New Zealand. It's also hilarious.
  • I watched the Crow last night. With all of the gun play that was done in the movie, you would have thought that they would have been able to correctly load a gun at the end of the movie with blanks.
  • In Captain America, it was never clear what Captain America could do, or what the bad guy could do, and so it devolved into who could hit who first.
    Captain America has always had this problem. Different writers have often given him different abilities. I read one origin story many years ago that claimed that his skin was bulletproof. I've read comics that have shown him lifting cars and crushing firearms to pieces with one hand. Then again, I've read many comics where the super-soldier formula is treated as simply giving a physically underdeveloped person Batman-style prowess without the necessity of those pesky years of intense training.

I know that, by now, Marvel probably has some sort of D&D type stats on his actual abilities, but I always tend to think of him on Batman's power level.

• From my understanding Captain America doesn't have any supernatural powers. He is simply the perfect physical limit of humanity. He's in perfect physical condition and has the best training that a normal human being can possibly hope to achieve. He's basically a NewType from Gundam.
  • From my understanding Captain America doesn't have any supernatural powers. He is simply the perfect physical limit of humanity. He's in perfect physical condition and has the best training that a normal human being can possibly hope to achieve. He's basically a NewType from Gundam.
    Captain America is full of that super serum or whatever, so he basically only has the worlds best dopings.

Captain America is full of that super serum or whatever, so he basically only has the worlds best dopings.
    Yeah, but even the best drugs still keep you within the limits of human physiology.

Yeah, but even the best drugs still keep you within the limits of human physiology.
    Not superdrugs.

• Yeah, but even the best drugs still keep you within the limits of human physiology.
    Unless that drug makes it so you aren't human anymore. The serum could make you more then just human.
  • Yeah, but even the best drugs still keep you within the limits of human physiology.
    Unless that drug makes it so you aren't human anymore. The serum could make you more then just human.
    It's Kirby, not Kafka.

• From Wikipedia :-p
    Captain America has no superhuman powers, although as a result of the Super-Soldier Serum and "Vita-Ray" treatment, he is transformed from a frail young man into a "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning.[78] Captain America's strength, endurance, agility, speed, reflexes, durability, and healing are at the zenith of natural human potential. Rogers' body regularly replenishes the super-soldier serum; it does not wear off.[79]

The formula enhances all of his metabolic functions and prevents the build-up of fatigue poisons in his muscles, giving him endurance far in excess of an ordinary human being. This accounts for many of his extraordinary feats, including bench pressing 1200 pounds (545 kg) and running a mile (1.6 km) in approximately 73 seconds.[80] Furthermore, his enhancements are the reason why he was able to survive being frozen in suspended animation for decades. Rogers cannot become intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, or impurities in the air and is immune to terrestrial diseases.[citation needed] He is also highly resistant to hypnosis or gases that could limit his focus.[81] The secrets of creating a super-soldier were lost with the death of its creator, Dr. Abraham Erskine.[82] However, in the ensuing decades there have been numerous secret attempts to recreate Erskine's treatment, only to have them predominantly all end in failure. Even worse, the attempts have instead often created psychopathic supervillains of which Captain America's 1950s imitator and Nuke are the most notorious examples.

Rogers' battle experience and training make him an expert tactician and an excellent field commander, with his teammates frequently deferring to his orders in battle. Rogers' reflexes and senses are also extraordinarily keen. He has blended judo, western boxing, kickboxing, and gymnastics into his own unique fighting style and is a master of multiple martial arts. Years of practice with his indestructible shield make him able to aim and throw it with almost unerring accuracy. His skill with his shield is such that he can attack multiple targets in succession with a single throw or even cause a boomerang-like return from a throw to attack an enemy from behind. In canon, he is regarded by other skilled fighters as one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in the Marvel Universe.[83][84] Although the super-soldier serum is an important part of his strength, Rogers has shown himself still sufficiently capable against stronger opponents, even when the serum has been deactivated reverting him to his pre-Captain America physique.[85]

Rogers has vast U.S. military knowledge and is often shown to be familiar with ongoing, classified Defense Department operations. He is an expert in combat strategy, survival, acrobatics, military strategy, piloting, and demolitions. Despite his high profile as one of the world's most popular and recognizable superheroes, Rogers also has a broad understanding of the espionage community, largely through his ongoing relationship with S.H.I.E.L.D. He occasionally makes forays into relatively mundane career fields, including commercial arts, comic book artistry, education (high school history), and law enforcement.

Although he lacks superhuman strength, Captain America is one of the few mortal beings who has been deemed worthy enough to wield Thor's hammer
  • edited December 2011
    So, Batman level, or not? Maybe just a bit more powerful than Batman?

Also, "lacks superhuman strength"? Does bench pressing 1200 pounds fall within the realm of human ability?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited December 2011
    I think physically probably way past batman. Though Batman can always pull out some sort of gadget. It's not like Batman has some sort of super serum. I think if you going to compare to someone in Batman's universe it would be Bane.
    Post edited by Cremlian on