This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The first Sherlock Holmes was awesome, but the new one is lame.
  • Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by it. I feel like they tried to go too big with the scope, but they forgot the mystery. The final scene with Moriarty was good, though.
  • I disagree. Although the actual story was a bit lack luster, the direction and acting was far superior to the first. I found it to be very charming actually.
  • I thought the new one too was just as good. It was a bit more silly and story lacked, but the action was better and the ending was just amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    It failed to entertain me aside from a few moments.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I thought it was rather brilliant, but I like everything.
  • 50/50 is one of the best movies of the year. It somehow manages to find a way to be both funny and emotional at the same time.
  • Se7en made me more uncomfortable on more occasions than Ichi the Killer.
    I had the exact opposite reaction. I think it's because the violence in Se7en is supposed to be sickening, where as the violence/rape/jizz in Ichi the Killer is presented as heroic or cathartic or something.
  • So does the new Sherlock Holmes contain these elements?
    1. Gloomy Victorian moody dark townscapes?
    2. Holmes and Watson bantering and fighting with people?
    3. Bromance bromance bromance?
    If it contains these things, I don't care if it is lackluster, I will watch it anyway as a guilty pleasure.
  • It's three for three, by that score.
  • Inception. The second time it was still a good movie. I only spotted four or five more plot holes, but I don't care, because I also spotted a dozen extra cool little things I'd missed the first time.
  • It's three for three, by that score.
    It's even got Stephen Fry in a prominent role.

• Just watched Company for the first time. Enjoyed it a lot.
  • I also enjoyed Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. That ending got me.
  • Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a surprisingly funny slasher spoof with a good heart. With a different cast this could easily have been dismal but Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk (Wash!) make this flick a fun watch.

So I Married an Axe Murderer has not aged well. This movie somehow became a vacation tradition with my family but I hadn't seen it in at least ten years. It might just be that Mike Meyer's schtick has been so driven into the ground that it's made this movie retroactively worse than it was when it was first released.

Super 8 is pretty rad, but you all knew that already.

In Bruges is a brilliant dark comedy. Saw it for the third time recently and marveled at how well every facet of this movie works together. Also, I'm pretty sure I've now comprehended all of Colin Ferral's lines.
  • Drive Angry is the most important film of the year.
  • 50/50 is one of the best movies of the year. It somehow manages to find a way to be both funny and emotional at the same time.
    This!
    Also, Anna Kendrick is pretty awesome in it. Best line in the movie : "Don't judge me!"
    Drive Angry is the most important film of the year.
    Totally this!

• Oh man, I did not know how they were going to top the gun-shooting, cigar chomping, magnum of Jack Daniel's drinking, better-than-Shoot-Em'-Up sex scene, but the part in that clip was so much more badass. That being said, the Accountant's choice in music (which could not be seen in that clip, but is in that part in the cinematic masterpiece) made that part absolutely hilarious.
  • I just re-watched Gladiator for the first time in several years, and I finally realize what is going on in that movie, especially the betrayal scene. Re-watching it also made me realize how much I really dig the Roman empire and how sad the movie is when Maximus is thinking about his family and at the end.
  • edited January 2012
    *driving angry clip*
    How did they de-age Christopher Walken?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• And thus, with the viewing of this video, I start my torrent of Drive Angry.
  • And thus, with the viewing of this video, I start my torrent of Drive Angry.
    That scene is EVEN BETTER in the movie.

Also, I saw Tintin and Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows yesterday. Tintin was amazing and the 3D was absolutely fantastic. Holmes was entertaining, but not a terribly good film.

• Due to the recommendations of some coworkers and some friends I reluctantly watched Grandma's Boy.That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  • Due to the recommendations of some coworkers and some friends I reluctantly watched Grandma's Boy.That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
    I AM A ROBOT. I HAVE A ROBOT VAGINA.

Nope.

I recently went to NYC to see some of the Studio Ghibli films that they were showing at the IFC Film Center. I ended up seeing two that I could not have seen any other way (aside from importing): "The Ocean Waves" and "Only Yesterday".

The Ocean Waves was okay, it wasn't anything particularly special; but it was still a good piece in Ghibli's canon. Basically, guy meets girl in high school, both are very different from each other, both are very awkward and come out in weird ways, boy starts missing girl in college, and finally boy sees her at train station after graduation and realizes that he loved her all along. Very by-the-numbers, but good.

Only Yesterday was a beautifully crafted Studio Ghibli film that really made a huge impact on me; one of those movies that leaves you silent for a long time and makes you makes you think all that time. Essentially, it's about a woman who is in her late 20s and is living in Tokyo. For about three weeks, she goes to stay with her cousins who run an organic farm in the countryside. The main draw of this movie is during her trip, she has these sudden flashbacks of her youth (particularly in 5th grade) and she becomes incredibly wistful and nostalgic for her past. She then begins to question her life and wonders if she was true to both herself and her aspirations.
    The film is a quiet, slow-paced, and introspective movie that is soaked in nostalgia, but in a genuine way. The audience for it is very limited and is probably Ghibli's most adult film (next to Porco Rosso) and, not to sound pompous, won't mean much to people who aren't of that maturity level. It meant a lot to me and I've since bought the UK DVD along with a cheap region free DVD player.

Nope.
    [] Told
    [] Untold
    [X] No Country For Told Men
    Se7en made me more uncomfortable on more occasions than Ichi the Killer.
    Seeing the aftermath is often worse than seeing the crime itself.
    God, that fucking interview scene. You know the one. My skin crawled.

Fun fact about Se7en. The serial killer journals? They were handwritten by a guy from the SFX team who made one on a whim and had a special talent for them. They are all unique, and he wrote hundreds and hundreds of them in cramped writing for the movie. Any notebook you see in any of the shots involving them, either open or on the shelves, is a unique work of art.

He turned in his finished work with a handwritten suicide note. It turns out that that was authentic; he had attempted (or considered) suicide a while back, and the note was a leftover of sorts.

• Daryl Surat was 100% correct, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra is totally pro.
    That was one of the most painful movies I've ever sat through.
    You're right, it was painfully awesome.

No.
    I learned a long time ago to never ever trust Daryl Surat on movie recommendations because he is invariably wrong 3/4 of the time.
  • Daryl Surat was 100% correct, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra is totally pro.
    That was one of the most painful movies I've ever sat through.
    You're right, it was painfully awesome.

No.
    I learned a long time ago to never ever trust Daryl Surat on movie recommendations because he is invariably wrong 3/4 of the time.
    It depends on your mindset when you watch the film. If you've entered what I call the "Suratzone," his recommendations are always spot one. If you haven't, he's crazy.

Bear in mind that accessing the Suratzone usually requires large quantities of alcohol for most people who aren't Daryl Surat. He was born there and can access that higher state of consciousness at will.
  • We saw The Adventures of Tintin on Friday. It was enjoyable, but the best part of the experience was the trailer for The Hobbit (though the 3D trailer made it look like a pop-up book, so I will plan to see The Hobbit in 2D).
  • Just watched The Prestige because it was the next on the list. Pretty good. I recommend. My only complaint is that it failed to keep a secret, which was sort of the point of the movie.

I was legitimately fooled by The Six Sense until about 60 seconds before the reveal at the end. My first times watching many Hitchcock films, I was guessing right up until the end. Maybe because I've seen so many of those, or simply because I'm not dumb, I knew everything there was to know at least 45 minutes before The Prestige was over. The ending presented itself as if it were climactic, but there wasn't any for me.

Also, this is one of those movies where if it is spoiled, there's no reason to watch it. The main thing it has going for it is that element of surprise. There's no reason to ever rewatch it. Compare that to say, Rear Window, which is rewatchable a hojillion times. Calling all necromancers, please bring Hitchcock back from the dead.