This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• So, 21 Jump Street was pretty win.
  • So, 21 Jump Street was pretty win.
    Pretty much. Especially the cameo. That escalated it.

• 21 Jump Street and Redline were both fun as shit.
  • Yesterday, I watched "Wrath of the Titans" if you enjoy heads being impaled into pillars then this is your kind of movie (it was mine for those scenes).
    Today, I watched the Director's Cut of Battle Royale and it was pretty great.

Also, girls with short shorts are bad news dude!
  • I watched Battle Royale too the other day, with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it. She loved it.
  • Blitz is the least Jason Statham Jason Statham movie I've ever seen.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    I was really surprised by how well done The Hunger Games was done. Other than my familiarity of the basic premise of a dystopian society which forces children to fight for their amusement, I knew next to nothing about the franchise. Anything Lyddi, Pete, or Creamsteak said; were the summation of my thoughts about it (aka: I wont go into any deep detail since it would be redundant). The editing and shakycam gave me a continuous headache for the first 25 minutes, but I eventually got over it. I felt that almost all the performances were top of the line and perfectly cast. Overall I can't wait to see the next 3 movies (Mockingjay is rumored to be two parts which seems to be the trend nowadays) and I will tell all I know to see this immediately.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    Ed Wood is the best film Tim Burton has ever directed in his decidedly patchwork career. He peaked with this and hasn't surpassed it to date, in my opinion. Big Fish is probably the closest he's come in that regard. Ever since this film, Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, and Planet of the Apes were all wretched awfulness. Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride were meh okayness.

Also, I don't think I'm in the red by saying that this is quite possibly in the top 3 of best roles Johnny Depp has ever given. He is just so goddamn good in Ed Wood and it is impossible to not be smitten by that smile and raw enthusiasm.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My favorite Tim Burton movie is simply Pee-wee's Big Adventure. Just a fantastic ride all the way through, and I love the climax/ending.
  • Just got back from seeing Indie Game The Movie and it was excellent. At the most basic level, it's about the power of a single-minded vision and how much risk and sacrifice is involved in order to achieve such a thing. The film is also really beautifully shot. Highly recommend it.
  • Big Trouble in Little China is about all I can ask for in a movie.
  • Brothers gotta hug.
  • Ed Wood is the best film Tim Burton has ever directed in his decidedly patchwork career. He peaked with this and hasn't surpassed it to date, in my opinion. Big Fish is probably the closest he's come in that regard. Ever since this film, Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, and Planet of the Apes were all wretched awfulness. Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride were meh okayness.
    If you think that those movies are "wretched awfulness", then you have not seen bad movies. They are too competently made for them to be considered "wretched awfulness", at worst they are crushingly mediocre (which is sometimes worse than being just bad as it can get really hard to talk about them). Also, Mars Attacks is a good movie, and Sweeney Todd is one of his best films.

• Pee-wee's Big Adventure is the best Tim Burton film, dummies.
  • Silly Rob, that's not how you spell "Big Fish."
  • Didn't know Big Fish was Tim Burton.

Now that I know that, yeah it's his best work.
  • I didn't know Pee Wee's Big Adventure was Tim Burton. Whoa.

Still haven't seen Big Fish, but I favor the Edward Scissorhands. However, there is the Batman movies.

Still haven't seen Big Fish, but I favor the Edward Scissorhands. However, there is the Batman movies.
    See Big Fish, immediately after PAX.
    I bet these two sequences make a lot more sense now.

• Saw Religulous last night (Yay for Amazon Prime on the PS3!) Absolutely hilarious movie (granted Maher was preaching to the choir).
  • On a side note the more I think about Amazon Prime the more it seems like a great service. I buy enough stuff on Amazon to where the $60 (or like $30 for students) seems well worth it. Plus the other stuff they're adding to it now.
  • On a side note the more I think about Amazon Prime the more it seems like a great service. I buy enough stuff on Amazon to where the $60 (or like $30 for students) seems well worth it. Plus the other stuff they're adding to it now.
    Don't forget the Free 2-Day Shipping. ^_^
  • I vote for the Batmens.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    Ed Wood is the best film Tim Burton has ever directed in his decidedly patchwork career. He peaked with this and hasn't surpassed it to date, in my opinion. Big Fish is probably the closest he's come in that regard. Ever since this film, Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, and Planet of the Apes were all wretched awfulness. Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride were meh okayness.
    If you think that those movies are "wretched awfulness", then you have not seen bad movies.
    No, and I'm quite pleased about that thank you very much. Unlike you, I'm not a cinematic masochist. Something has to be so bad it's good/funny/both for me to give it my time, like Troll 2 or The Room.

Just for clarity's sake

Top 5, Personal Favorite Tim Burton Films

1: Ed Wood
    2: Big Fish
    3: Beetlejuice
    4: Batman
    5: Edward Scissorhands

Also, Mars Attack isn't a good movie. It's more of a fun concept than a movie. I got what he was trying to go for, but it didn't work. The movie is about an hour longer than it needed to be, still, I understood what he was trying to shoot for. I'll end on that with: Gut busting Jack Nicholson.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It's not that I'm a complete cinematic masochist (although I am, to an extent). Watching bad movies really throws the idea of quality into perspective.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    It's not that I'm a complete cinematic masochist (although I am, to an extent). Watching bad movies really throws the idea of quality into perspective.
    I can't deny that, that is very true. The following might make it sound like I'm joking, but I'm not. There are certain awful movies I've seen that, while I regret seeing them, I owe some sort of gratitude to because they allowed me to restructure what I think of as a bad movie; such as Battlefield Earth and Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The Raid was intense and great and "fuck yeah."
  • The Raid was intense and great and "fuck yeah."
    Yep.

• Hunger Games was pretty cool and I really liked it, especially the costumes, set design, and world building.
  • Hunger Games was pretty cool and I really liked it, especially the costumes, set design, and world building.
    You make it sound like I would like it and this kind of annoys me because it makes me sort of want to see it despite really not wanting to.