This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The Cabin in the Woods was super cool and super fun, and you should try to go into it as spoiler-free as possible, regardless of what that spoiler study says. It's still going to be pretty great even if you spoil yourself, but parts of it (including the climax) are amazing to behold when you're unprepared for them. The thrill is well worth it.
  • Recently just watched the documentary Darkon, which was interesting to say the least. It follows a group of people in Maryland who play this game Darkon which some sort of LARP variant.
  • Going by the book was really good. It's rather silly while playing the entire movie straight.

• Anyone got any suggestions for Korean comedies that aren't all romancey? Something along the lines of The Good, the Bad, the Weird.
  • Anyone got any suggestions for Korean comedies that aren't all romancey? Something along the lines of The Good, the Bad, the Weird.
    Attack the Gas Station
  • Seen both of them.
  • I didn't mean to, but got sucked into Risky Business again. Now I can't stop watching this.

• Best movie I've seen this year.
  • edited April 2012
    I saw Goon with my friend today. I went in with low expectations, and was completely floored. I didn't realize how engaged I was until the first game, and from there the movie just kept impressing the hell out of me. It was a little too obscene at times, but it was less for humor and more to reiterate that the characters are a bunch of brutish hooligans.

Definitely worth a watch. I'd say it was my favorite hockey move ever, but I haven't seen Miracle and Slap Shot, so that wouldn't mean much. Definitely better than Mighty Ducks, though.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I saw Goon with my friend today.
    Fixed.

• Wrote up my expanded thoughts on Cabin in the Woods in comparison with The Hunger Games here. No more spoilers than are in the trailer, save for one that is clearly marked.
  • I saw Lockout yesterday.

How did they fuck that up??? ;_;
  • Wait, what? I was expecting lockout to be good :(
  • Saw the american version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It was pretty interesting.
  • I'm downloading LotR extended HD editions. I realize I've only seen them about twice each, and not extended. And even that was many years ago. Seems like a lot of other people have seen them many times each either from owning them on DVD and/or watching them on cable TV all the time.
  • I remember watching the entire LOTR trilogy with commercial interruption years ago. I don't know how the hell I got through it.
  • Cabin in the Woods is not to be missed, I am serious.
  • James and I saw Cabin in the Woods tonight as well. I really enjoyed it. ^_^
  • Cabin in the Woods is not to be missed, I am serious.
    James and I saw Cabin in the Woods tonight as well. I really enjoyed it. ^_^
    Best comedy of the year :) but then again I'm pretty twisted.
  • The Hunger Games was a pretty darn good, faithful adaptation of the book. Nothing was cut that I felt was necessary to the story, they got across all the important points.
  • I will echo the statements about Cabin In The Woods being very very good. Again, do yourself a favor and do not spoil it at all. Studies aside, reading about the plot elements on wikipedia is FAR inferior to watching it unfold as it happens.

I want to continue to praise this movie further, but I don't want to give any of it away!
  • Cabin in the Woods was fucking... yes. Yes!
  • I will echo the statements about Cabin In The Woods being very very good. Again, do yourself a favor and do not spoil it at all.
    I'd agree with you, but really, what the movie does so well is that the "twist" it employs isn't based on any big reveal. It's present from the very first scene. The basic premise doesn't reveal anything more than what is revealed very early on. It's a twist that can't be spoiled simply by knowing about it, you have to see it unfold, which is what makes it so effective.
  • ...I actually kind of enjoyed The Three Stooges movie.

The stuff actually involving the Stooges, with the 3 actors they've perfectly chosen, the slapstick, the timing, the choreography and sound effects. All wonderful, took me back to watching those shorts with my dad. And surprisingly, the Jersey Shore element in the movie was actually the funniest part that actually had my face hurting. And you gotta give the movie the benefit of the doubt in The Stooge universe that people are hardly hurt from major accidents/attacks.

Everything else, really lame. There's a sentimental subplot with a little girl and little boy that's really tedious and takes up too much time. And a lot of the other actors are bad (except Sofia Vergara, who's actually pretty funny)
  • I saw The Raid: Redemption tonight. It was amazing and one of the best action movies I have seen.
  • I saw The Raid: Redemption tonight. It was amazing and one of the best action movies I have seen.
    Better than Die Hard?

Better than Die Hard?
    Be careful with your answer here.

Better than Die Hard?

I'm not going to comment since I haven't seen die hard in 2-3 years.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    I saw The Raid: Redemption tonight. It was amazing and one of the best action movies I have seen.
    Better than Die Hard?

You only need to see it once to know that, though.
    Post edited by Geo on
    Better than Die Hard?

You only need to see it once to know that, though.
    I just feel like I can't give a definite opinion objectively due to bias. To start, martial arts movies are my favorite kind of action movies, and the raid is still pretty fresh in comparison. With The Raid, the fight scenes keeps a very high level of tension and brought an adrenaline rush that took around 2 hours to calm down. I don't think I've heard an audience so loud during a movie, me being among them. The choreography is done very well and the movie has enough breaks to give the movie a good pacing.

As a movie, I would probably have to say Die Hard is better. However I think I have enjoyed watching The Raid more than Die Hard.