This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• When I tried to see The Avengers the first time, it was sold out so I went to see Pirates! instead. It was the usual Aardman funny, which is perfectly okay.
  • I think it ought to have been a TV show. They had some of the best Aardman comedy since Wrong Trousers, but no story to hold it up. A TV show would've required less.
  • edited October 2012
    I saw "American Reunion" and it had some genuinely funny moments, some pleasing nudity (some not), and was about what you'd expect from the franchise (if you ignore all the straight to video garbage they released with the license a la National Lampoon), but mostly it just made me feel sad and old. Also sad that I saw Jason Biggs' squished dick (maybe it was a prop dick.)

"Dictator" was pretty awful. "Borat" was way, way, way better. I did end up doing an honest-to-god spit take when Sacha called the female lead a "lesbian hobbit" but it had more to do with the delivery than the joke.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Wow was The Darjeeling Limited a huge disappointment for me. I consider it to be Wes Anderson's worst work by far. I understand what Anderson was trying to go for, but it was a colossal misfire. It honestly feels like someone trying to imitate Wes Anderson, but it is in fact the latter's work (much like how Paycheck feels like the work of a John Woo impersonator, but is Woo's work).

The biggest problem with the film, as I see it, is that it is overwritten and gets way too lost in the symbolism that is scattered throughout the film. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with symbolism in the least, but when there is the implication that a film has many more aspects that could be enjoyed (story, performance, visuals, etc) and it overpowers every other aspect, then the film loses something.

In all honesty, I felt as if the spiritual healing journey made by the three brothers was not as resonant or as meaningful as both the movie or Anderson implies it to be. In my opinion, the prologue to this film (Hotel Chevalier) was way better and I was hoping for something along the same lines; but alas this was not the case. This is my least favorite Anderson work and not something I will revisit again.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Looper was pretty amazing! :D
    I guess I'm going to have to put this on my Netflix watch list, but honestly the premise sounds SO dumb.
  • Moonrise Kingdom was a lot of fun. I was waiting for my usual reaction to Wes Anderson to kick in, which is enjoying the visual style and quirky characters for the first 30 minutes, and then being ground down by the same elements when the story doesn't bother to turn up (see: Darjeeling Limited, Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr Fox). I was grinning all the way through Moonrise Kingdom though, and still enjoyed it by the end.
    I guess I'm going to have to put this on my Netflix watch list, but honestly the premise sounds SO dumb.
    What do you think the premise is?
    From what I'm told (I admit I haven't read up on this so if I have it wrong, I have it wrong) it's that murder is so hard to get away with in some far-flung future that it is actually easier to kidnap the victim, transport them backwards in time to some corn field, and have a paid assassin waiting there to cap the guy and collect payment.

Seems weak. I'm sure there's probably more narrative conceit wrapped around the whole thing but it must be one heck of a tap dance to justify that mess.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Looper was pretty amazing! :D
    From what I'm told (I admit I haven't read up on this so if I have it wrong, I have it wrong) it's that murder is so hard to get away with in some far-flung future that it is actually easier to kidnap the victim, transport them backwards in time to some corn field, and have a paid assassin waiting there to cap the guy and collect payment.

Seems weak. I'm sure there's probably more narrative conceit wrapped around the whole thing but it must be one heck of a tap dance to justify that mess.
    That isn't the premise! That is the backdrop to what will become the main premise. To say what it is without spoiling it, it is about one of those assassins who suddenly finds that his next target is himself from the future. Therein lies a moral dilemma for the character.

I honestly don't understand why you don't find something that is unique (if it isn't than someone tell me if there is another like it) to be a mess.

Also see the director's previous works if you haven't yet: Brick and Brothers Bloom. Both are fantastic in their own unique ways.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • To say what it is without spoiling it, it is about one of those assassins who suddenly finds that his next target is himself from the future. Therein lies a moral dilemma for the character.
    It's definitely a dilemma, but I don't see how there is any moral significance to whether the target is himself or not.
  • Iron Sky was decent. I need to see it again before making a full opinion.

Cabin In The Woods is perfect.
  • That the guy has to kill himself is the plot, not the premise? Am I murdering vocabulary here? I think the central narrative conceit is more correctly referred to as the premise?

Anyway, it requires quite a lot of suspension of disbelief to buy that kidnapping a victim and teleporting them back in time (at which point they will seem to have disappeared) is somehow a cleaner crime than just killing the poor bastard and stuffing him in a lead box, or whatever other method to prevent tracking. Incineration? Is the tracking chip or whatever made of unobtainium? It's a lot of buy in.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    To say what it is without spoiling it, it is about one of those assassins who suddenly finds that his next target is himself from the future. Therein lies a moral dilemma for the character.
    It's definitely a dilemma, but I don't see how there is any moral significance to whether the target is himself or not.
    I say moral dilemma because it tests what little morals he possesses which is a direct result of his job which is very cut and dry, and requires seldom if any emotion to perform. I also mentioned it due to later events in the film that I will not reveal.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Saw Looper. It should be applauded just for being a big-budget Hollywood sci-fi film that doesn't recycle a standard sci-fi plot. I liked it.
  • The Red Letter Media guys have a very positive and spoiler-tastic review of Looper and, when forced to decided between Dredd 3D and Looper, they choose Looper, but only just because they loved Dredd.
  • Argo is definitely an oscar-calibur movie. Fun at the beginning with the set up, but then your stomach will be in knots during the climax. The buildup is so great and the ending makes you want to cheer. I think what's great about the movie, is that it's filled with humor but it doesn't take the situation likely. Fantastic movie, easily going to be in my Top 5.

Sinister is one of the best horror movies I've seen in quite some time. It has really sharp writing and genuine scary moments. It does something that horror movies need to do again, which is that it follows a protagonist that you actually care for and explains the motivations/anomalies in a believable ways. It's a little cliched in some parts and they have too many jump scares, but it's awesome. Carlyle (From Spill) did a phenomenal job and can't wait for more works by him.
  • Loved Looper. There was a segment on Fresh Air where they talked about the director's past and it definitely made me interested in watching Brick, as Geo suggested.

Saw a cam video of the new Evil Dead trailer shown at NYCC and hoooooly shit it looks like they really nailed this one. Haven't seen a good horror movie in a while.
  • edited October 2012
    woah woah woah

woah woah woah woah woah

the guy that directed Brick directed Looper? How the fuck am I only now learning this?

Brick is fucking great! As is Brothers Bloom, his other movie.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    woah woah woah

woah woah woah woah woah

the guy that directed Brick directed Looper? How the fuck am I only now learning this?

Bloom less so than Brick, but I like them both regardless. Looper is a rare case in that I think knowing who directed the film elevates the quality, like you need to know who made it to get context as to why the premise is in good hands and how there is no way somebody with Rian Johnson's previous track record could screw it up. However I don't think that would matter much to Muppet-brand haterade over there (I keed I keed).

Edit: Also he is an amazingly suave troll on podcasts as proven by his appearance on the Super 8 episode of /Filmcast

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-151-super-8-guest-director-rian-johnson/

Post edited by Geo on
  • Watched Indie Game: The Movie and teared up when Super Meat Boy was a success. What's wrong with me?
  • woah woah woah

woah woah woah woah woah

OH SHIT WHAT WHY AM I NOT WATCHING THIS RIGHT NOW.

• I think I did too. It's just a well-made film. Also, we love those guys and we want to see them succeed and junk.
  • I find it hilarious that a lot of people don't know Rian Johnson directed Looper.
  • I find it hilarious that a lot of people don't know Rian Johnson directed Looper.
    So do I, but I'm keeping it a secret so I don't sound like a butthead.
  • I have no idea who Rian Johnson is, so it means not a thing to me.
  • I find it funny that you expect people to know who directed a movie.
  • edited October 2012
    I find it hilarious that a lot of people don't know Rian Johnson directed Looper.
    luv u jeremy bb

Post edited by WindUpBird on
    luv u jeremy bb

This is a better response than I could have ever anticipated. My heart belongs to you, now.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    I find it funny that you expect people to know who directed a movie.
    Forgive this moment of pretentiousness, but in this day and age of IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo, there is no reason not to know who has directed a movie.

Post edited by Geo on