This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• WarGames is a really good 80s movie. I actually think it covers the fear of the Cold War at the time pretty well and makes both sides very reasonable and understandable. I felt tense and I felt that it was actually really smart all the way through it. I don't know why Matthew Broderick was a better actor as a teenager than as an adult. Also? Dabney Coleman is awesome.
    It's also a reasonably accurate portrayal of how hacking works, at least by Hollywood standards. War dialing (the movie is where the term actually came from), simple text-based interfaces, etc...

• I do have to ask, do most Ghibli movies have these reoccurring themes? Not just the ones with Miyazaki himself, but messages about "being yourself" and being whisked away to a confusing, new world?
    Yes, along with flying, strong young women, and environmentalism.
    I like to quote Uncle Yo's joke in this case.

"I can sum up Miyazaki's films in five words: Eventually, a girl will fly.

• edited March 2013
    My only problem with Howl's Moving Castle was the scarecrow twist at the end. WTF?
    Yes, along with flying, strong young women, deus ex machinas, and environmentalism.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Had our monthly Friendly Film Festival over the weekend. This month was Jeremy's pick and at the last minute we decided for the theme to be "Aubrey Plaza".

So we first watched Scott Pilgrim and then Safety Not Guaranteed.

I totally didn't know Safety Not Guaranteed took place in Washington. It was fun seeing areas on the coast I know I once visited and hung out at. The movie was enjoyable and I am really digging Aubrey Plaza. I may just even start watching Parks and Recreation because of that.

The only thing I wanted from the movie was seeing if anything was resolved from the issues of the other two journalists. While the movie doesn't need it, I wanted to know for myself.
  • edited March 2013
    I also saw Safety Not Guaranteed a little while ago as well. It was tolerable for a while, but I was pissed off by the end for the exact reasons you mentioned. Nothing is resolved from the sub-plots which had absolutely nothing to do with the main story anyway. Also, it seemed to contain every indie movie cliche to have developed since Garden State. It got to the point where nothing actually seemed creative.

Honestly, I actually feel a little dickish slamming the movie right now, but I really wanted to enjoy it and just ended up feeling so disappointed.

However, Aubrey Plaza is fun and really enjoyable in Parks and Recreation. Do yourself a favor and skip the first season, though. Some friends gave me that advice, and I still thank them for it.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • However, Aubrey Plaza is fun and really enjoyable in Parks and Recreation.
    Also in Scott Pilgrim. And real life.

• Wolf Children Ame & Yuki was fantastic. I was pretty sure I would go my entire life without ever caring about a Human/Wolf character, but Hosoda messed all that up.
  • Wolf Children Ame & Yuki was fantastic. I was pretty sure I would go my entire life without ever caring about a Human/Wolf character, but Hosoda messed all that up.
    I agree, I saw it recently and thought it was a fantastic movie. Without spoiling anything, I will say the direction the movie went surprised me a little.
  • The new Oz movie was shit. Just awful.
  • edited March 2013
    The new Oz movie was shit. Just awful.
    That is what I have been hearing. Did you find it shit on its own or shit because it contained only one strong female character (unlike the source material). Or did you find it shit because Wicked pretty much owns Oz rewrites?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I just realized I'm a long way behind in my movie watching updates on this thread. I'll catch up because this has been a very consistent movies-I've-watched log for the past few years.

But later.
  • The new Oz movie was shit. Just awful.
    That is what I have been hearing. Did you find it shit on its own or shit because it contained only one strong female character (unlike the source material). Or did you find it shit because Wicked pretty much owns Oz rewrites?
    Short answer: all of them.

The writing was also poor, Franco wasn't a good choice, all the acting was very, very hammy, the CG was all very glaring, most of the action scenes went nowhere and were pointless, and the characters don't really grow or change.

There was so much wasted potential in this movie and its a real shame.
  • Being sick and having Netflix, I've been watching a bunch of crappy movies. One of the standout ones has been Today's Special. While it certainly won't win any Best Picture awards, it was a fun little comedy/drama about an Indian restaurant.

Now I really want some curry...
  • If you are still doing the Netflix check out Happy Accidents.
  • edited March 2013
    I saw Oz: The Great and Powerful in 3D today.

I thought it was a great movie. It works as a fantastic prequel to the original and I think it establishes the world of Oz really, REALLY well. I love the build up to the climax at the end and how Oscar himself applies his intelligence and illusions to the magical world. I do agree with most people, that the CGI characters totally out perform the real actors, especially Finley and the China Girl. Sam Raimi kicked the hell out of Tim Burton.

The 3D was absolutely worth it and it was clearly shot for the 3D perspective, but my favorite use of it was at the beginning when they show the credits, when the film still treats itself as an early, Black-and-white flick. Just the layers of depth from old images at the time really astounded me.

If anything, I have 3 major concerns which keeps me from really loving the film.

1. There are some inconsistencies with the tone and motives of the characters. Some real head-scratching moments between characters who get mad/emotional and change in the next scene.
    2. Some of the special effects are filmed in a way where you could clearly tell it was on a sound stage. It pulled me out in some scenes where I could tell they were walking in place. That and lots of obvious "IN YOUR FACE" moments.
    3. Mila Kunis. She is easily the worst actress in the movie, as she's totally sleepwalking through the first half and then completely haming it up for the second. I actually thought James Franco was fine in his role because Oz's arc feels rather natural and he fits that character, but this film really made me question Mila Kunis's talent.

While it's still in theaters, I totally recommend seeing it.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • You have said the opposite of what most people have said about that movie.
  • You have said the opposite of what most people have said about that movie.
    This movie is really down the middle for a lot of people. It's probably this year's Hobbit, where people were blown away by the visuals and the execution on a whole is mostly good, but there are still issues with pacing and character development.
  • Oz is not this year's Hobbit.
  • edited March 2013
    Oz is not this year's Hobbit.
    I actually like Oz much more than The Hobbit. But I did forget that the next Hobbit movie is coming out in December...
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Not exactly a movie, but my wife and I watched "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue" last week. It was the first time I've seen it in like... nearly 20 years, I'm sure. Terrible storyline, but I was definitely amused.

And we saw Oz in the theater last Sunday. I thought it was pretty decent, personally. I did not like the 3-D whatsoever, but I didn't want to wait an extra three hours to see the normal version. The story was alright and the visuals were definitely nostalgic. The acting needed some work, I agree, but overall, I thought it was worth seeing at least once.
  • Watched Tucker and Dale vs. Evil over the weekend. Very enjoyable. I laughed pretty hard at those deaths. Stupid college kids.
  • I'm thinking about seeing Oz when it's on Netflix/PirateBay, but I just read the part in Otherland where the Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion are fighting a war with their shoddily bioengineered minions and it's coloring my opinion of the universe. Shit is fucked up, yo.
  • I'm thinking about seeing Oz when it's on Netflix/PirateBay, but I just read the part in Otherland where the Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion are fighting a war with their shoddily bioengineered minions and it's coloring my opinion of the universe. Shit is fucked up, yo.
    I now have something to read, thanks.
  • Pitch Perfect is basically Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story but with acapella singing and it's worth watching.
  • Pitch Perfect is basically Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story but with acapella singing and it's worth watching.
    Also, Anna Kendrick.
  • As a long time collegiate acapella fan I can't help to be crazy excited about how much exposure it's gotten in the past few years!
  • Olympus Has Fallen wasn't very good, but you all probably knew that already.
  • P_TOG was it not very good in the academy award sense or fun because no one should be going to see if for any other reason then fun... :-p
  • P_TOG was it not very good in the academy award sense or fun because no one should be going to see if for any other reason then fun... :-p
    I would never dare to rate a movie in the "academy award" sense. The movie tried to be fun, and I tried to have fun, but the camera-work was sloppy and you couldn't tell what was going on. It was also way too dark.
  • The Oogieloves in The Great Balloon Adventure was a beautiful piece of absurdism masquerading as "children's entertainment".