This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited April 2010
    Or Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees.
    BANZAIII!!!!!

EDIT: In other news, I just rewatched Ponyo for the first time since I saw it in theaters so long ago. SQUEEEEE!!! SO CUUUUTE!!!! There are so many things I love about it, it's ridiculous. Running on fishes and "BAKABAKABAKABAKABAKA" are my favorite parts.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • BONZAIII!!!!!
  • Posted By: GeofinoBONSAIII!!!!!
  • Meryl Streep did a really good job
    But doesn't she always?
    Very true. I actually do want to watch Mama Mia, just because she's in it, even though there is singing.
    She did a good job as an actress, but the movie was fundamentally flawed in that it was JUST a movie to get ABBA fans in theaters. I don't recommend that movie.

That and Peirce Brosnan is not that good a singer. He's very breathy,
  • My ass is black and blue ;)
    That's what she said.
  • That's what he said.
  • That's what she said.
    Toby wearies of this meme.
  • edited April 2010
    KARATE DOES NOT EQUAL KUNG FU, YOU DUMB SHITS.
    Apparently America is the only place in the world where this is being called The Karate Kid. Apparently in most of the world it's being called The Kung Fu Kid.
    If you pay attention to the trailer you will note that the kid knows karate, but not Kung Fu, so all the Chinese kids tease him by calling him "Karate Kid". It actually makes some sense.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Just got back from the Dragon movie. Took my daughter and 'wife' to it. She left about half way through complaining about stress. My daughter and I enjoyed the entire movie.
  • Just got back from "Kick Ass" it was just different enough from the GN to make it fresh and the action scenes were very well crafted. I highly recommend but not for people who do not like violence... it is EXTREMELY violent.
  • 'Kick ass' was great. A must for anyone who is sick of the same old movies. It has a real situation feel which leads you to care about the characters. Although it is not a perfect movie it will entertain.

ps. The girl I took to this movie did not like it all.
  • I too saw Kick Ass, and Hit Girl is a complete bad-ass.
  • Toby wearies of this meme.

Sit down.
  • I just saw How to Train Your Dragon, it was really really good. The 3D was pretty nice too.
  • Kick Ass was excellent. Hit Girl is awesome. The music they chose during her sequences definitely added more to the hilarity and awesomeness of it.
  • Watched One Point O last night. Good movie that cyberpunk fans will likely enjoy.
  • I just finished watching Hair and let me put it to you like this...purchase of tickets for the Broadway Show will happen sometime soon :)
  • I just saw Superman: The Richard Donner Cut. It is superior in every imaginable way to the piece of trash that was the original version. If you have seen the original version, and you have not yet seen the Richard Donner Cut; watch it as soon as possible.
  • Saw the Losers earlier this week, it was a surprisingly funny, but ultimately generic action movie.
  • I saw Kick Ass and I have to say that I really didn't enjoy it.
    Just because your offended by 11 year old girls getting the crap kicked out of them by middle aged men (and being brainwashed into a killer) ..... lightweight ^_^

/scarasm

I loved the movie.
    Why?
    Why?
    It seems like it's just a type of movie that Kate doesn't typically enjoy. She's shown similar distaste to similar movies in the past.
  • Death at a Funeral was pretty okay. It had its moments.
  • edited April 2010
    I saw Kick Ass and I have to say that I really didn't enjoy it.
    Why?
    It seems like it's just a type of movie that Kate doesn't typically enjoy. She's shown similar distaste to similar movies in the past.
    I loved the pulpy aspects of the film and the general concept of the film; however, watching a film in which a child is trained and psychologically tortured into becoming a psychopath and mass murderer and that aspect is only superficially addressed and the movie more than suggests that this twisting of a child and mass murder in the name of vengeance are acceptable or humorous on any level just doesn't wash with me.
    Death at a Funeral was pretty okay. It had its moments.
    I saw the original, which was made in 2007. I have to say that I was peeved that they made an almost line for line and shot for shot remake. It also seems like a blatant exploitation of black audiences.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Well, I'm seeing it tonight, so I guess I'll have an opinion later.
  • I loved the pulpy aspects of the film and the general concept of the film; however, watching a film in which a child is trained and psychologically tortured into becoming a psychopath and mass murderer and that aspect is only superficially addressed and the movie more than suggests that this twisting of a child and mass murder in the name of vengeance are acceptable or humorous on any level just doesn't wash with me.
    Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the movie: The comic addresses all that, but a HUGE reveal that plays a big role in that got cut from the movie. Probably because it was too deep for audiences.
  • edited May 2010
    That really needed to be in the movie. I would have liked it so much more if it had. As it was, the characters were really one-dimensional and I also was uncomfortable with the Hit Girl thing. Also the actor playing Kick Ass wasn't very good and there was no reason for him to be so invested in that girl beyond her being pretty.

Nic Cage was hi-larious, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Nic Cage was hi-larious, though.
    Hilariously bad. Every time he spoke, particularly when he said "child," he was so stiff and fake that it was hardly watchable.
  • Nic Cage is one of my favorite actors. He is entertaining in nearly every film he stars in. When in a crappy movie, he acts in this ridiculous and strange way that stands out among the generic, boring actors. In a good movie, like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans or Adaptation, he acts with an unmatched level of over the top intensity. Ebert is completely right in comparing him to Klaus Kinski, though Klaus chose his roles far more carefully.