This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Watched Toy Story 2 after putting it off for so long.

Wow, that was amazing. It's better than the first and it amazes me how new and how well it flows together. It was such a cool set up and I liked the use of more toys in this movie than in the first. I'm very pumped up for the 3rd.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Finally watched the entirety of Revenge of the Nerds. Seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but now have the full experience. Pretty fun movie, though it didn't get me laughing that much. I also felt like the ending was rather lackluster. Still, it's one of those required movies for a geek.
  • I watched a Fistful of Dollars the other night. The opening scene felt very Akira Kurosawa-esque, which turned out to be because the whole movie was a unauthorized remake of Yojimbo.
  • Finally watched the entirety ofRevenge of the Nerds. Seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but now have the full experience. Pretty fun movie, though it didn't get me laughing that much. I also felt like the ending was rather lackluster. Still, it's one of those required movies for a geek.
    Yeah it is classic. From that time there is also Meatballs and Porky's. I used to love them when I was in middle school.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    Finished watching Vertigo for the first time. Actually I attempted watching it twice when I was younger (13 and 15 respectively) and at the time I thought it was interminable each time. It's a very different kind of film, a kind that I wish was made more often today. I can't really elaborate any further on it because the words escape me and I cannot really describe the feeling I got when watching it. There was however one flaw that bothered me quite a bit: Jimmy Stewart. This isn't a snub toward him, because I love Jimmy Stewart; however I felt that he was just too old for this part.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Annie Hall is an awesome movie. I'm really digging the movie education nights.
  • Scott, myself, Judith, and Natalie watched an amazing movie Sunday evening. We'll probably be talking about it on the show soon.
  • Finally got around to watching Attack the Gas Station. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the greatest movie ever made, as Rym + Scott have suggested, it was a solid piece of work, and I really enjoyed it.
  • Finally got around to watching Attack the Gas Station. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the greatest movie ever made, as Rym + Scott have suggested, it was a solid piece of work, and I really enjoyed it.
    Heresy.
  • My main complaint with Attack the Gas Station is that the first hour or so is all set-up and not very interesting. Luckily, it ramps up exponentially from there. Interested to see Attack the Gas Station 2.
  • edited May 2010
    My main complaint with Attack the Gas Station is that the first hour or so is all set-up and not very interesting. Luckily, it ramps up exponentially from there. Interested to see Attack the Gas Station 2.
    I found a pretty good rip of it a while back, but couldn't for the life of me find English subtitles.

Edit: Looks like they subbed it. You need to register for the private tracker, though.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    I know that everyone says Richard Kelly is one hit wonder when it comes to directing films. Today, I decided to test that theory by watching Southland Tales. Utter crap. If nothing else it's ambitious, but the problem lies in the fact that a lot of the story makes no sense and is just all over the place. Should I waste my time with The Box?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched a terrible film and an awesome film over the weekend.

A Smiley Face is a Stoner/Black Comedy about Anna Faris who is an insanely pathetic stoner. It's filled with cameos. It had some kind of plot about her needing to go to a Hemp Festival and her getting a copy of The Communist Manifesto. It was fucking pointless to sit through. >_> Nothing funny and it was filled with pointless stoner dialogue and people reacting to stoner dialogue. Looking for a good indie comedy on netflix really feels like looking for a diamond in a junk yard.

Then I watched Drunken Master. Totally awesome. :D Didn't expect it to become such a comedy though, but that doesn't bother me because the action was really cool and some of the physical stuff really made me laugh. Fear Drunken Miss Ho!
  • My main complaint with Attack the Gas Station is that the first hour or so is all set-up and not very interesting. Luckily, it ramps up exponentially from there. Interested to see Attack the Gas Station 2.
    I found a pretty good rip of it a while back, but couldn't for the life of me find English subtitles.

Edit:Looks like they subbed it. You need to register for the private tracker, though.
    Just got finished watching the both of them. I forgot how good the music was in the first one. Number 2 was even better than the first though. There was a much bigger budget and it showed. It was a lot more action oriented and had better choreographed. The effects on the bikes in the first three minutes were kind of outta place though.
  • Oh hey, Geofino, your "worst movie ever" is now not "worst." Metropolis is screening in a new, restored edition! They found the missing footage in Argentina! Boo for them hacking the film up in the first place, though. Even back then, Americans had cruddy attention spans.
  • Then I watched Drunken Master. Totally awesome.
    Damn straight.

I watched The Sky Crawlers. Spoilers(?): So he slept with his mom...?
  • So... Hokuto No Ken...The Movie... Pretty Fuckin' Awesome...
  • So... Hokuto No Ken...The Movie... Pretty Fuckin' Awesome...
    My favorite part was this:
  • Re: Kenshiro McBadass

It is my concidered opinion that the subtitle for the entire film should have been the same as the title of the above video.
  • I just saw Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. It was quite bad. I was looking forward to this move, but even Cate Blanchett could save this poorly written, predictable, dull, and sloppy film (really sloppy). The dialogue was wooden, Russel Crowe played the standard Russel Crowe character, the sound track was terrible, the plot point were predictable, the battles scenes had no power, and the editing and cinematography were just inconsistent and messy. Really, if you want to see it, wait for Netflix. Don't waist your money or the gas to go to the theater.
  • Just watch Gladiator instead.
  • edited October 2010
    Just watch Gladiator instead.
    Oh mans was that a boring movie. I distinctly remember the two times Crow is unconscious and floating above the Italian countryside. This happens 1/3 and 2/3 into the movie and eff me if, but for a car and a winding road, those didn't look like car commercials.

On topic: I just watched Helvetica and instead of learning lots about type design and modern fonts, I just learned what utter nerds typegeeks are (in the pejorative sense).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • @Emily: IT IS?!!! YAAAAY!!!!!!!! If you're curious about what I personally believe to be the worst movie in the entire world is; that can only belong to Battlefield Earth. Fuck that movie, fuck it to hell. Two hours of my life I'll never ever get back.
    Just watch Gladiator instead.
    Oh mans was that a boring movie. I distinctly remember the two times Crow is unconscious and floating above the Italian country side. This happens 1/3 and 2/3 into the movie and eff me if, but for a car and a winding road, those didn't look like car commercials.

On topic: I just watched Helvetica and instead of learning lots about type design and modern fonts, I just learned what utter nerds typegeeks are (in the pejorative sense).
    What about Commodus? Phoenix was pretty good...right?
  • Thumb sucker. Really weird seeing Vince Vaughn on something that is not a comedy. But I liked the movie.
  • Thumb sucker. Really weird seeing Vince Vaughn on something that is not a comedy. But I liked the movie.
    Really? The last time he did something that wasn't a comedy to my recollection was when he was Norman Bates in the psycho remake.
    Really? The last time he did something that wasn't a comedy to my recollection was when he was Norman Bates in the psycho remake.
    Swingers is still my favorite Vince Vaughn appearance. I quote it all the time.
  • Swingers is still my favorite Vince Vaughn appearance. I quote it all the time.
    Money.
  • Hard Boiled is totally crazy and great.
  • I saw Kick Ass a few weeks ago and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I read the original comic and I was actually happy that the ending of the movie differed from the ending of the book. It was strange but I felt that the comic was more like a movie and the movie was more like a comic because of it all.

Anyway, if plans don't fall through, I'm going to watch either How to Train Your Dragon or Iron Man 2 by this weekend.
  • Finally saw Return of the Jedi.