This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Just watched Ponyo. While being a beautifully animated movie, I felt that it was not a good movie.
  • I felt that it was not a good movie.
    Whaaaaaa
    Whaaaaaa
    I'm a bit surprised myself. I think it started out well, but by the end of act 2 I started to conclude that it was not good. Very cute, but not good.
    Whaaaaaa
    I disagree, but I'll respect your opinions. I feel that it's really a good movie for very little kids, not so much for everyone else, like Totoro was.
    Whaaaaaa
    I disagree, but I'll respect your opinions. I feel that it's really a good movie for very little kids, not so much for everyone else, like Totoro was.
    Yeah, I felt the same. Kind of like how Totoro doesn't have conflict, it's more of looking at the grand-scale beauty of it all.
  • Howl's Moving Castle was so bad that I can't make myself watch Ponyo.
  • My friend Amy (who I might add usually gets me to watch totally crap movies but occasionally finds something good) got me to watch Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein's monster. The highlight was Bela Lugosi doing his hilarious hypnotism shenanigans. I love when he's talking about a guy who was just knocked out and he's like "Bring him to the cellar! That way we can dispose of all of the bodies at once!" note that those bodies were actually still living, I have to admire his sense of efficiency though :D.
  • Just got back from Iron Man 2, it was pretty darn good, a bit long at times but generally it had nice payoffs whenever it made you wait. (I guess that means it had some pacing problems ^_^) The teaser after the credits was fun as well as someone's shield being put to good use....
  • as well as someone's shield being put to good use....
    That part made me lol so hard.
  • That part made me lol so hard.
    Basically no one in the theatre got the joke besides me.
    Really? Everyone in my theater went into an uproar.
    Really?Everyonein my theater went into an uproar.
    No one got it where we saw it but Jed who clued me in.
    Really?Everyonein my theater went into an uproar.
    No one got it where we saw it but Jed who clued me in.
    Actually, I thought the geekiest part was the Larry Ellison cameo.
  • edited May 2010
    I just watched The Devil and Daniel Johnston. Really really solid documentary.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Watched Ben-X last night, very sad.
  • edited May 2010
    Boondock Saints 2. it was terrible.

Ms. Pettigrew Lives For A Day. Light, well-paced romantic-comedy that was cute and had some laughs.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Boondock Saints 2. it was terrible.
    What? I would hardly call it "terrible." It wasn't anything different than the original, really.
  • Boondock Saints 2. it was terrible.
    What? I would hardly call it "terrible." It wasn't anything different than the original, really.
    The original was terrible.
  • edited May 2010
    The original was terrible.
    You're a bad person and you should feel bad.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The original was terrible.
    You are dead to me.
  • The original was, at worst, really funny and entertaining. The sequel had absolutely none of the charm or funny of the original, and felt like it relied too much on the first movie for gags and visuals.
  • Iron Man 2 is a fun movie.

Boondock Saints 2 was a lot better than the first one.

Zombieland should have picked a movie and stuck with it.

The Bourne Trilogy is alright. You could get away with just watching the first one.
  • Zombieland should have picked a movie and stuck with it.
    Really? I thought it was pretty solidly a feel-good comedy throughout, just with lots of zombies and gore.
  • edited May 2010
    Iron Man 2 is a fun movie.
    Boondock Saints 2 was a lot better than the first one.
    Zombieland should have picked a movie and stuck with it.
    The Bourne Trilogy is alright. You could get away with just watching the first one.
    I haven't seen Iron Man 2, but on all other counts, I completely disagree with you. Boondock Saints 2 was muddled and brought nothing new to the table. Its humor only referenced the jokes of the first, without providing any new jokes or taking them further than the previous film took them. Additionally, the plot was flimsy and the film felt like it had 5 separate directors and each one was worse than the last.
    Zombieland, while not the best movie ever, had a strong aesthetic and it followed through delivering on what it promised - a fun, campy zombie movie.
    The Bourne movies are shite. They are really unwatchable because they aren't self-indulgent, over-the-top, and kitschy enough to be fun and they are too bad to be enjoyed on any serious level.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The Bourne Trilogy is alright. You could get away with just watching the first one.
    The Borune Trilogy is an interesting and strange series in that once you are told the premise, you can suddenly watch any movie in the series. I have only watched the first and third movies and had a firm grasp of what was happening at all times. That might seem to really poor story telling, and in a sense it is but HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE HOW HE TOTALLY PUNCHED THAT GUY IN THE FACE?!?!? AWESOME!!!
  • Zombieland should have picked a movie and stuck with it.
    Really? I thought it was pretty solidly a feel-good comedy throughout, just with lots of zombies and gore.
    Why is everyone so nitpicky with that movie? It's a wonderful time. It's rather fun and really grounded for a modern-zombie film. Has plenty of funny moments, gore and great zombie killing. And Woody Harrelson? Amazing.
  • The Borune Trilogy is an interesting and strange series in that once you are told the premise, you can suddenly watch any movie in the series. I have only watched the first and third movies and had a firm grasp of what was happening at all times. That might seem to really poor story telling, and in a sense it is but HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE HOW HE TOTALLY PUNCHED THAT GUY IN THE FACE?!?!? AWESOME!!!
    The thing about those movies is that they try to hold to the book, and then they try to go for a little freedom, and then suddenly they beat Robert Ludlum to death with a rolled up magazine.

Everything from about 4/6ths of the first movie on is, essentially, fanfiction on the silver screen. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's rather....different to what I expected. Some liberties were understandable - after all, the original Bourne was...well...born into existence during the vietnam war, and if you want all the cool modern tech in your movie, you'd have to have a 50-to-60 year old man running around playing super-spy. But rather than change the origin story, they almost completely dispose of it, and leaving them with no base for films based on the further novels.
  • Iron Man 2 was basically more of Iron Man, so I enjoyed the ride.

No Country for Old Men: You probably should've already seen it, I'm always late to the party, but it was great. My girlfriend was bored for the most part, but even though it felt a bit long and slow at points, I was never not interested.

500 Days of Summer: An unrequited love story, watch it if you've ever fallen as such.

The Fourth Kind: I fell asleep halfway through, I hated the choice to include the 'real' footage, and the movie was slow and boring. I asked my girlfriend about the last half and it pretty much sounded like it petered off without an ending.
  • The original was terrible.
    Bad, bad, man...

I saw Iron Man 2.
    It was Iron Man 2... I liked it. I also like how they put "In memory of Adam Goldstein" (DJ A.M.) in the credits. (He was in the movie for like half a second)
    R.I.P. Adam.
  • Summer Wars in full HD. Very cool, very heavy, had to hook up my laptop to my TV directly instead of streaming through my wireless network, wouldn't work otherwise. By the way, my favorite character was the over weight fisher uncle with the Datsun shirt.