This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Nic Cage is one of my favorite actors. He is entertaining in nearly every film he stars in. When in a crappy movie, he acts in this ridiculous and strange way that stands out among the generic, boring actors. In a good movie, like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans or Adaptation, he acts with an unmatched level of over the top intensity. Ebert is completely right in comparing him to Klaus Kinski, though Klaus chose his roles far more carefully.
    He's more or less a film mercenary. He'll take any job, if the price is right.

Also, I'm still holding out for Werewolf Women of the SS, just so I can see Nic Cage as Fu Manchu. NSFW, as you might expect.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010
    Nic Cage was hi-larious, though.
    Hilariously bad. Every time he spoke, particularly when he said "child," he was so stiff and fake that it was hardly watchable.
    That was pretty clearly intentional.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Nic Cage was hi-larious, though.
    Hilariously bad. Every time he spoke, particularly when he said "child," he was so stiff and fake that it was hardly watchable.
    That was pretty clearly intentional.
    Just because an actor makes a choice, doesn't make it a good one.
  • Just because an actor makes a choice, doesn't make it a good one.
    I thought it was funny.
  • I guess I'd been living under a rock all my childhood, because I just saw the original TMNT movie for the first time this morning. I don't know what to think. Also, about a week ago, I saw the Doctor Who TV movie pilot from 1996. A friend happened to have a VHS recording of the Fox broadcast, which was lucky, because you can't find it in the US anymore. I have to say, Paul McGann might have made a great doctor, but the story is just meh. It is easy to see why it failed to get a TV series running. Not to mention, you pretty much see the Eighth Doctor for all of an hour, because the Seventh Doctor started off the film. It was nice to see the hand-off, but it doesn't work in a pilot. Ah, well. At least it worked the second time.
  • I just saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and loved it. It had three things that I loved, snarkiness, non-linear story lines, and Robert Downey Jr.
  • Saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday. Much better than I was expecting and I liked the way they showed you what Holmes was thinking with the quick flash scenes.
  • edited May 2010
    Saw high school high a couple days ago. It was pretty awful, but I was watching it with my super cute friend Amy, who likes bad movies. It was so white bread that it made me feel un-white, and I'm not sure it was 100% intentional.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • Kick Ass tomorrow, I know I am late to the party, but hey I have had lots to do.
  • On a lark I decided to check out Django. Normally I do not like Westerns but for some reason this movie had something that kept my interest, possibly the fact that the protagonist was a well done anti-hero. I think I should check out more spaghetti westerns after this if this movie is any indication.
  • I just saw How to Train Your Dragon and really enjoyed it. I didn't like the designs of most of the dragons, though. They looked very silly.
  • I think I should check out more spaghetti westerns after this if this movie is any indication.
    It is above-average. Next, try The Wild Bunch and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. /Western primer.
  • I think I should check out more spaghetti westerns after this if this movie is any indication.
    Or, if you want to go a little more out there with your spaghetti, check out "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird".
    Or, if you want to go a little more out there with your spaghetti, check out "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird".
    Fuck that. You want weird western? Try "El Topo."

Also: Once Upon a Time in the West, For a Fistful of Dynamite (aka "Duck, You Sucker!"), and The Magnificent Seven.
  • For a Fistful of Dynamite (aka "Duck, You Sucker!")
    This, this, a billion times this.
  • Fuck that. You want weird western? Try "El Topo."
    You had to go and play the trump card in the second round didn't you. There's really nowhere to go from El Topo, except back to good movies, and nothing's really gonna top The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or The Magnificent Seven.
  • So the verdict on Kick Ass if you really enjoyed the comics? Worth going to the movie or waiting for the DVD?

More and more I've been skipping cinematic releases as I can watch the movies in a far superior environment at home, surround sound and all.
    I watched Saving Private Ryan for the second time since I saw it in cinemas and it was freaking amazingly immersive with the DTS surround and great video quality
  • So the verdict on Kick Ass if you really enjoyed the comics? Worth going to the movie or waiting for the DVD?
    I read the comic and then thoroughly enjoyed the movie. As for whether to see it in the theater or wait for your home theater, that's a toss up.
  • Ellie's movie education night continued last night. We watched Pulp Fiction. Awesome film, but fuck me, Quentin can't act for shit.
  • but fuck me, Quentin can't act for shit.
    It really makes you wonder why companies keep letting him act in his movies and why he thinks that he can act in his movies.
  • but fuck me, Quentin can't act for shit.
    It really makes you wonder why companies keep letting him act in his movies and why he thinks that he can act in his movies.
    Because he shits money?
  • I mean, it wouldn't be so bad, but out of all the actors in Pulp Fiction, he is just so noticeably not as good as everyone else on screen.
  • Iron Man 2 was just as good as the first one.
  • edited May 2010
    None of the acting in Pulp Fiction is good. Tarantino is just particularly bad.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited May 2010
    I mean, it wouldn't be so bad, but out of all the actors in Pulp Fiction, he is just so noticeably not as good as everyone else on screen.
    The thing is, Tarantino doesn't really Act, he plays the Character of "Tarantino making a Cameo" more than anything else.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I mean, it wouldn't be so bad, but out of all the actors in Pulp Fiction, he is just so noticeably not as good as everyone else on screen.
    The thing is, Tarantino doesn't really Act, he plays the Character of "Tarantino making a Cameo" more than anything else.
    I think that's a fair judgement.
  • Watched Iron Man 2, it was lots of fun. A lot more exposition than the first one. I also watched Night at the Museum 2 "Battle of the Smithsonian", it was a really fun watch :D
  • Also watched Iron Man 2, it was actually a good movie contrary to my expectations. I really liked the main villain, though the secondary one completely got on my nerves. I really liked how War Machine came together, that was pretty great.
  • Saw Iron Man 2 last night. It was very good, but I feel like it could have been better.
  • Went to see 4 Lions tonight, funniest film I have seen at the cinema in ages. I bow down to the genius of Chris Morris.