This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Batman: Under the Red Hood is a very predictable but incredibly enjoyable movie. Actually, the cast itself makes the movie very fun to watch.

Here's a Breakdown:

Commander Pike from the new Star Trek = Batman
    Bender/Jake = the Joker
    Neal Patrick Harris = Nightwing
  • edited September 2010
    How was Jensen Ackles as Jason Todd? That's the casting choice pretty much everyone who has mentioned the movie to me thus far has said they want to see it for. Being a Supernatural fan myself, I'm curious too.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • How was Jensen Ackles as Jason Todd?
    It was very meh at first, but got better as the movie went on. It was very obviously his first animated work, so his pacing was really off at the beginning.
  • (500) Days of Summer did not help my bad mood. It gets two points for honesty.
  • OzOz
    edited September 2010
    MirrorMask was... different. Good, but different.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • I'm pretty sure watching The Hurt Locker contributed to a panic attack later that night. It did it's job very well, in other words.
  • Face/Off is a movie where Nic Cage and Nic Cage's hair drive cars and kill people.
  • Face/Off is a movie where Nic Cage and Nic Cage's hair drive cars and kill people.
    Are you also enjoying CAGE RAGE! THE YEAR OF THE CAGE!
  • I am currently (meaning this exact second) watching The Princess Bride, with a rather amusing commentary.
  • edited September 2010
    Face/Off is a movie where Nic Cage and Nic Cage's hair drive cars and kill people.
    I'm seriously considering holding my own CAGE RAGE with friends. CAGE RAGE is arguably the best movie-watching idea ever.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    I'm seriously considering holding my own CAGE RAGE with friends. CAGE RAGE is arguably the best movie-watching idea ever.
    I want a new episode of CAGE RAGE! I wonder what movie is next.
  • I am currently (meaning this exact second) watching The Princess Bride, with a rather amusing commentary.
    OMG just saw the Fire Swamp scene. Man oh man. That R.O.U.S. is still really disturbing. It gave me nightmares as a child.
  • I finally saw Inception today, and I'm convinced that Cobb was dreaming the entire time. Michael Caine asked him to "come back to reality." There were virtually no establishing shots, which reinforces the "how did you get here" motif. The kids don't age. The name "Ariadne" has too much of a symbolic correlation in mythology. Grandma told the kids she didn't think Cobb would ever come back -- which would be consistent with him going to limbo. I'll bet Mal did jump back to reality.
  • edited September 2010
    The Godfather Part II. So fucking long. So fucking good.Moral of the Story: Always listen to Marlon Brando if he tells you something.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Actually, the kids did age. There were different, older child actors playing the kids in the last scene, and you can confirm that on IMDb. They're wearing different clothes, too - similar clothes, but definitely different. You can still argue the "it was all Cobb dreaming" position if you want to, but the kids' ages don't factor into it.

I was in the "at the very least, the end was still a dream" camp for a while, but I've since shifted over to the "Cobb really came back" camp, myself. Doesn't really matter which it is, though, I think. One of the main messages of the movie seems to be "The nature of reality doesn't matter so long as you're happy." Whether you agree with it or not, and whether Cobb is dreaming or not, that seems to be the implication.
  • I'm too entrenched in the mentality of The Matrix for the, "The nature of reality doesn't matter so long as you're happy" theory. Good point about the kids, though. Also, it seemed far too convenience that Saito could resolve all Cobb's legal troubles with a single phone call. That rang too much of wish fulfillment.
  • edited September 2010
    Inception was a dream, but it was our dream. I think Christopher Nolan made it as an experiment in telling a story. We all shared the dream of Cobb's tale and we didn't question the circumstances until afterward, like many people do when they suspend disbelief for a movie. /crackhead
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • Admiral Hotcakes, that's a really unique perspective. I like that a lot more than people who say "It was a dream" or "it wasn't a dream." The reason the ending was ambiguous is that it just doesn't matter - He didn't care, and that's just fine.
  • Machete is a movie where Danny Trejo rides a chaingun motorcycle, has sex with every leading lady, and kills people with machetes.

It was so totally awesome.
  • edited September 2010
    Machete is a movie where Danny Trejo rides a chaingun motorcycle, has sex with every leading lady, and kills people with machetes.

And within the first fifteen minutes, at least 10 people (with 3 at one time) were beheaded and there was a naked chick who hid her phone in her vagina.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited September 2010
    Machete is a movie where Danny Trejo rides a chaingun motorcycle, has sex with every leading lady, and kills people with machetes.

And within the first fifteen minutes, at least 10 people (with 3 at one time) were beheaded and there was a naked chick who hid her phone in her vagina.
    I must watch this movie, several times.

Sad thing is, it probably won't get a theatrical release here.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I rewatched 5cm Per Second and watched Voices of a Distant Star for the first time. Makoto Shinkai, you break my heart.
  • The wife hated Scott Pilgrim. That's how I know it's awesome. Also, 100% better in the theater than on the Russian bootleg.
  • The wife hated Scott Pilgrim
    Why did she "Hate" it, I can see not liking it but hating?
  • The wife hated Scott Pilgrim. That's how I know it's awesome.
    LOL
  • I rewatched5cm Per Secondand watchedVoices of a Distant Starfor the first time. Makoto Shinkai, you break my heart.
    That movie left me in a state of melencholy for days afterward. I wasn't expecting it.
  • 5cm is at least a bit optimistic. Voices is just fucking bleak.
  • Makoto Shinkai sure is a one trick pony, and that trick is making you cry.
  • edited September 2010
    The wife hated Scott Pilgrim
    Why did she "Hate" it, I can see not liking it but hating?
    My beautiful, smart, lovely Lisa comes loaded with some prejudices -- an intense dislike for Michael Cera not the least of them. (She did laugh at the "I lesbians you" joke, but that's about it.) The best way I can explain it is by example: She clapped her hands, squealed, and jumped up and down when I bought her tickets to a one-night-only sing-along screening of Beauty and the Beast for Sept. 29.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • The best way I can explain it is by example: She clapped her hands, squealed, and jumped up and down when I bought her tickets to a one-night-only sing-along screening of Beauty and the Beast for Sept. 29.
    God, I wouldn't even go see that.