This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    What about a world famous billionaire bikini supermodel astrophysicist?
    Only Weird Al Om-nom.
    I don't know if I could deal with having a girlfriend who is that much more awesome than me. I'd prefer a moderately successful, fairly attractive singer/songwriter or something.
    That's why I will never date a physicist.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I just watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, and I found hilarious for all the wrong reasons :D
  • Anyone can get a relationship with a desperate nutjob, just like anyone get a little bit of money. But to get a lot of money, that's like getting a genius supermodel rock star president of a country olympic gold medalist girlfriend.
    I disagree, it is infinitely easier to get a good mate, then it is to make a ton of money.
    I don't know if I could deal with having a girlfriend who is that much more awesome than me. I'd prefer a moderately successful, fairly attractive singer/songwriter or something.
    Wouldn't you want to be challenged by the relationship?
  • Jeremy has never seen Death to Smoochy. That was rectified last night. I really enjoy a good dark comedy like this, especially from the actors that played all the roles here.
  • Public Enemies is an alright movie.

Black Dynamite is a masterpiece of cinema.
  • O__O

E...Eraserhead.
  • O__O

E...Eraserhead.
    I have no sympathy. It's well known enough so you knew what you were getting into. :P
  • Reiterating what everyone else said about Tangled being incredibly gorgeous. I kind of wish I had seen it in 3D just for the floating lanterns sequence.

Also Cars 2 looks incredibly mediocre and that makes me sad for Pixar.
  • I saw The Other Guys at a college screening on Friday. It's a good movie, not great compared to Will Ferrel's other movies like Anchorman or Ricky Bobby, but has it's moment. First half is much funnier than the second half. The experience was nearly ruined for me though, because I was a seat behind some guy who was laughing at, and repeating all the funny bits to his friend. And each time, he'd end with "That's awesome/crazy."

I need to watch more movies though on campus...2.50 tickets are unbeatable.
  • I watched The Commitments for the first time. It was enjoyable, if a bit one dimensional. The opening of the film worked so hard at romanticizing blue-collar Irish neighborhoods that I couldn't help but laugh. Nothing particularly deep, just some light fun with colorful characters.
  • I watchedThe Bounty Hunterout of curiosity. I hate Gerard Butler now. Honestly, I'm not of fan of many of today's romantic comedies, because they are addicted to the same tropes, but the people who wrote the film couldn't bother to explain why the couple hated each other in the first place.

I know this sounds nihilistic, but are their any great movies or books, about the bickering couple that strangely loves each other, and gets married, but after they advance their relationship, they have really shitty lives? Like a really depressed couple that ends tragically? So many romcoms involve two people who are opposites and bitter to one another, that this fantasy sickens me. That's all passion, it's not love.
    I have not actually seen this movie, but from what I hear, Revolutionary Road is supposed to be a movie that takes a seemingly happy 50's couple and just lifts the veil off, looking at all of the painful and depressing parts of relationships.

Also, not a movie but rather a TV show, Mad Men is pretty awesome if you're looking for serious drama where relationships are shitty but people deal with it.
  • I don't know if I could deal with having a girlfriend who is that much more awesome than me. I'd prefer a moderately successful, fairly attractive singer/songwriter or something.
    Wouldn't you want to be challenged by the relationship?

This is a very fascinating topic that would probably warrant its own thread. I don't know if it's good to have a relationship where two people are very much into the same stuff and one is "more awesome" thank the other. It's better to have complimentary interests and both be awesome people in your respective fields, while still having some interest in what the other person likes so you are not bored as a couple. There is probably some golden ratio of converging interests but it sounds impossibly hard to identify and measure.
  • I have capitulated to my wife's request not to force her to watch Tron: Legacy. I understand her concerns. There is not a nerd wish fulfillment bone in her body (except mine).
  • I have capitulated to my wife's request not to force her to watchTron: Legacy. I understand her concerns. There is not a nerd wish fulfillment bone in her body (except mine).
    You should pull the "I went to watch Beauty And The Beast Sing-A-Long with you" Card.
  • You should pull the "I went to watch Beauty And The Beast Sing-A-Long with you" Card.
  • I have capitulated to my wife's request not to force her to watchTron: Legacy. I understand her concerns. There is not a nerd wish fulfillment bone in her body (except mine).
    You should pull the "I went to watch Beauty And The Beast Sing-A-Long with you" Card.
    I already owed her that for making her watch Scott Pilgrim.
    Tell her it's payment in advance for Titanic 3D that is coming out in 2012.
    I'm pretty sure that was the other way around...
    You are assuming that Jason is not excited for Titanic 3D
    I'm pretty sure he has a penis, but I could be wrong.
  • Fair assumption, that was the joke

Titanic 3D = $12+ to sleep for 2 1/2 hours only to wake up and see that guy bounce off the propeller in 3D
  • Oh, god, I thought you guys were kidding. They're actually making Titanic 3D!?
    I'm pretty sure he has a penis, but I could be wrong.
    Don't make me prove it.
  • So I made Jeremy watch Black Dynamite with me. He thought it looked absolutely stupid. Once again, I have proved to him that my selections of movies/shows to watch is superior to his and that my choices are never wrong.

Also watched Batman Under the Red Hood. It was pretty good. I enjoyed the fight sequences. The plot wasn't anything spectacular but it had some decent drama. The voice actors were ok too, even though I prefer Kevin Conroy Batman and Mark Hamill Joker.

• Also watchedBatman Under the Red Hood. It was pretty good. I enjoyed the fight sequences. The plot wasn't anything spectacular but it had some decent drama. The voice actors were ok too, even though I prefer Kevin Conroy Batman and Mark Hamill Joker.
    It was sucky. You want to like it because it's all that Joker-y jazz, but admit it: It was bad. Poor development, a cobbled-together version of a dozen Batman storylines, and characters that look wrong.
  • It was sucky. You want to like it because it's all that Joker-y jazz, but admit it: It was bad. Poor development, a cobbled-together version of a dozen Batman storylines, and characters thatlook wrong.
    Ok, I'll admit it wasn't the greatest and just ok. The characters looked different compared to the character style in B:TAS, but it was acceptable. It was like a longer episode of B:TAS.
  • edited December 2010
    I need a quick answer: Commando or Total Recall?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited December 2010
    I need a quick answer: Commando or Total Recall?
    Total Recall.

Then listen to the Greatest Movie Ever Podcast about it, then Fast Karate for it. Many lols will be had. I recently relistened to them and it still stands up for hilariousness.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I need a quick answer: Commando or Total Recall?
    Both back to back plus "The running man" is the obvious choice.
  • I need a quick answer: Commando or Total Recall?
    Total Recall.

Then listen to the Greatest Movie Ever Podcast about it, then Fast Karate for it. Many lols will be had. I recently relistened to them and it still stands up for hilariousness.
    I've already listened to that episode in the past, and yes, it was hilarious. I would have also accepted the prompt "Gettchore ahhs to mahhhs!"