This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Pete & I also found it fun. I love that it had the feel of an old-school Disney musical. Also, we loved the horse.
    Maximus and Pascal are now two of my favourite Disney characters.
  • Maximus
    Best. Horse. Ever.
  • edited November 2010
    Tangled was awesome. It was nice to see a "prince" who wasn't 1D Stock Prince Charming, and a princess who had some guile and empowerment. Plus, the movie was the business anyway.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It was nice to see a "prince" who wasn't 1D Stock Prince Charming...
    As much as I love it, the prince in Snow White has literally no lines/character/distinctive characteristics.
  • I love the doghorse Maximus. A horse acting like an anthropomorphic dog is apparently a recipe for comedy in my book. Loved pascal too.
    I agree about the 'prince' being more interesting, although I'd argue that both Simba and Aladdin were decent male heroes.
    I'd argue for the prince in Sleeping Beauty, but I don't recall his name, though he did slay a motherfucking dragon after being imprisoned by Maleficent (one of the bestest Disney villians, by the way).
  • I'd argue for the prince in Sleeping Beauty, but I don't recall his name, though he did slay a motherfucking dragon after being imprisoned by Maleficent (one of the bestest Disney villians, by the way).
    Prince Phillip.
  • I love the doghorse Maximus
    What is up with Disney and their doghorses? We had Bullseye from the Toy Story films and now we have Maximus. I know that two entries does not necessarily mean a trend, but it's a little weird.
  • You forgot the horse in Hunchback of Notre Dame.
    What is up with Disney and their doghorses? We had Bullseye from the Toy Story films and now we have Maximus. I know that two entries does not necessarily mean a trend, but it's a little weird.
    There is also the horse (Bessie) from Mulan or Pegasus from Hercules.
    There is also the horse (Bessie) from Mulan or Pegasus from Hercules.
    Pluto.
  • edited December 2010
    There is also the horse (Bessie) from Mulan
    Actually, the horse from Mulan is named Kahn. Mushu just called him Bessie as a joke.
    Pegasus from Hercules.
    Pegasus is more of a bird than a dog.
    You forgot the horse in Hunchback of Notre Dame.
    I totally did forget about Achilles! That sucks, Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favourite Disney movies.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • There is also the horse (Bessie) from Mulan
    Actually, the horse from Mulan is named Kahn. Mushu just called him Bessie as a joke.
    I know. That's the only name I remembered and didn't care to look up. NERD!
  • NERD!
    Damn straight. NO ONE (that I know) CAN BEAT ME AT DISNEY TRIVIA. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • NERD!
    Damn straight. NO ONE (that I know) CAN BEAT ME AT DISNEY TRIVIA. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    And that's why you have to fight off the ladies with a stick. :P
  • And that's why you have to fight off the ladies with a stick. :P
    =_=
  • I also saw Tangled. Color me impressed. If things go this smoothly, we may get another Disney Renaissance on our hands. My only flaws with it were that not all the songs were great, and not enough screen time for Maximus.
  • And that's why you have to fight off the ladies with a stick. :P
    Harrrrrrrrrrsssssssshhhhhh.
  • I need to get this off my chest: OMGGUYZTHESCENEWITHTHEFLOATINGLANTERNSOMGITWASSOFREAKINGPRETTYOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.
  • edited December 2010
    I need to get this off my chest: OMGGUYZTHESCENEWITHTHEFLOATINGLANTERNSOMGITWASSOFREAKINGPRETTYOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.
    I was actually thinking when watching this...If they could somehow replicate that scene at Disneyland, I would buy a plane ticket in a heartbeat. I don't care how they would get it done, but if I could watch it happening around the castle. That'd be magical. :DDDDD
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited December 2010
    I was actually thinking when watching this...If they could somehow replicate that scene at Disneyland, I would buy a plane ticket in a heartbeat. I don't care how they would get it done, but if I could watch it happening around the castle. That'd be magical. :DDDDD
    It probably wouldn't be that hard to do, it would just be expensive and time consuming. Considering how much money Disney puts into fireworks, though, I don't think the economic problem would be that severe.
  • edited December 2010
    I also saw Tangled. Color me impressed. If things go this smoothly, we may get another Disney Renaissance on our hands. My only flaws with it were that not all the songs were great, and not enough screen time for Maximus.
    I hate to say it but Disney is actually shutting down all their "Fairy Tale" animation type stuff.
    Post edited by OlympianZeus on
  • I hate to say it but Disney is actually shutting down all their "Fairy Tale" animation type stuff.
    They're not shutting all of it down, they just don't have any fairy-tale related projects in the queue right now.
  • I hate to say it but Disney is actually shutting down all their "Fairy Tale" animation type stuff.
    They're not shutting all of it down, they just don't have any fairy-tale related projects in the queue right now.
    Okay, regardless, they are moving their focus to broaden their mass appeal, which is a move I disagree with. With the success of Tangled and Princess and the Frog Disney could have a great repeat of their 90's successes.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, regardless, they are moving their focus to broaden their mass appeal, which is a move I disagree with.
    Pixar does this. How many more popular fairy tale stories are there to make?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Pixar does this. How many more popular fairy tale stories are there to make?

I'm not saying "Fairy Stories" are the direction to move in or that there are tons they could still tell, just that the "Disney Animated Feature" has gone mostly downhill throughout the 2000's and while I love Pixar I don't think that they should be the end-all be-all of Disney's animation.
  • Well next is a brand new Winnie-the-Pooh movie that is in the same style as the Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh and the only one announced after that is King of the Elves, which is a fantasy based off a short story by Phillip K. Dick. Also note that the last traditional fairy-tale Disney movie before Tangled was Beauty and the Beast.
  • I'm not saying "Fairy Stories" are the direction to move in or that there are tons they could still tell, just that the "Disney Animated Feature" has gone mostly downhill throughout the 2000's and while I love Pixar I don't think that they should be the end-all be-all of Disney's animation.
    Well the 2000's where bad overall. Seems like they are doing just fine now. I actually am more interested with the stuff Li was talking about. I'd rather have quality story telling through animation then the same cookie-cutter crap.

If Disney was awesome, they should take really awesome popular children's/teens graphic novels and make them into animated features, like Amulet. That would be fucking ace.
  • How old are you OlympianZeus? I can't think of a good reason why Disney shouldn't appeal to a broad audience. The reason they exist is to make money for themselves and their shareholders, and that by providing entertainment. Fairytales are good for a certain number of people but there's no reason why they should appeal to young audiences any more than the characters of Pixar. The reason Disney use the characters from public domain fairytale is because they have wide appeal at the time and everyone knew who they were. They didn't have the investing character creation or story creation, all they had to do was use the familiar tropes and storylines of the fairytale themselves.

Now it is cheaper to do very impressive animation, thanks to computer-generated imagery. it is also far far easier to set up new characters, new stories, new ideas, and they don't need the help of the old public domain characters and stories can bring. From what I've seen of tangled, it isn't even a retelling of the classic fairytale, issues using those characters. Not even the characters, it's a whole new journey.
  • edited December 2010
    I just really want Disney to go through with making the Snow Queen. It was a project that has been in-and-out of production for years now, and there has only been some concept art released, but my god it is beautiful.
    From what I've seen of Tangled, it isn't even a retelling of the classic fairytale, issues using those characters. Not even the characters, it's a whole new journey.
    They used the basic story of Rapunzel and expanded on it in a different way.
  • I'm not saying "Fairy Stories" are the direction to move in or that there are tons they could still tell, just that the "Disney Animated Feature" has gone mostly downhill throughout the 2000's and while I love Pixar I don't think that they should be the end-all be-all of Disney's animation.
    Well the 2000's where bad overall. Seems like they are doing just fine now. I actually am more interested with the stuff Li was talking about. I'd rather have quality story telling through animation then the same cookie-cutter crap.

If Disney was awesome, they should take really awesome popular children's/teens graphic novels and make them into animated features, likeAmulet. That would be fucking ace.
    Disney picked up once again after "Bolt." I'd say. Before then, the last great Disney animated film was Lilo and Stitch. Disney is getting back to the right idea of how the best films are ones with great story, great characters that can appeal to anyone. We have more back up since John Lasseter will act as Executive Producer for any future films with Disney, so I think it's safe to say that they can go in many different directions, and the product they make will be fine.