This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• the excitement that one gets regarding what the trio of actors will do in their career, post-Deathly Hallows.
    Well, the best actor of the three has said she's quitting acting after Harry Potter is done, soooo...
    She has said repeatedly in many interviews that she isn't quiting acting, but that she isn't going to sign up for any roles that she isn't passionate about. Honestly, if she is financially set for life, why would she ever take a role she wasn't passionate about?
    Also, she always struck me as the weakest actor of the three, but that comes down to personal taste, really.
  • but that she isn't going to sign up for any roles that she isn't passionate about.
    I thought it was that she wasn't passionate about acting in general and wanted to pursue academics? I don't remember.
  • In Bruges. I miss my home country. ;_;

Oh yeah, the movie was good.
  • In Bruges. I miss my home country. ;_;

Oh yeah, the movie was good.
    It was one of my favourite movies the year it came out. Also, it was extra special because I watched in the theatre in Bruges, which is about 50m from places filmed in the movie itself. The, the next day, we went looking for all the things we saw in the movie but hadn't seen on our first day in the city.

Eg. The alcoves!
  • Loved the Harry Potter movie, and on a side note, Cowboys & Aliens got an enormous laugh when the title was announced at the end of the preview. Seriously, that movie looks ridiculous.
  • <3 Cowboys & Aliens <3

But if you want a ridiculous movie, try this one:
  • Seriously, that movie looks ridiculous.
    I think I'll see that opening night.
  • Watched "Man of the Century", a 1999 black and white comedy about a man who lives as though he is in 1928, although the movie is set in modern times. Naturally, he gets caught up in some convoluted organized crime plot, and the movie follows the antics of Mr. 1928 (aptly named Johnny Twennies) as he deals with mobsters, his modern-times girlfriend, his job at the local paper, and his backwards family. The movie only works because the lead plays the complete straight man the entire time, never breaking character for a moment. Still, it was a pretty mediocre film. I wouldn't urge anyone to rush out and see it, or even add it to their list. If you happen to stumble across it though, it's at least worth giving a watch.
  • As I said on Twitter and other places. I bought and read the Cowboys vs. Aliens comic when it first came out. It is probably the worst comic I've read since 2003. Unless the movie has nothing to do with that book, it will be so bad.
  • Unless the movie has nothing to do with that book, it will be so bad.
    Considering that it's rare that the movie is not over 50% different from the source material hopefully it will move in the better direction.
  • Seriously, how does this not look fucking awesome?
  • It looks like a darker Wild Wild West with a decent director. Hints of Trigun? And Olivia Wilde. Mmmmm.
  • Seriously, how does this not look fucking awesome?
    Well, it doesn't involve Zombies, Ninjas or Pirates, so I'm in!
  • RED was an interesting spy movie. Unstoppable was pretty meh. There's only so much you can do to make trains exciting.
  • Unstoppable
    I did think the SNL trailer parody was chuckle-worthy.
  • Salt was not a good movie.
  • Unstoppable
    I did think the SNL trailer parody was chuckle-worthy.

I can't stand Jay Pharoah on SNL. Also, I don't understand why SNL treats black people like the sith. It doesn't help that Kenan Thompson owns every skit they put him in, which makes it a groaner every time Jay shows up instead.
  • In more on topic news, I watched The Road Warrior for the first time last night after watching Mad Max last month. That movie is amazing! I love how there is barely any talking and is all just atmosphere and action. Tonight will be capped of with Max Max Beyond Thunderdome.
  • Tangled was one of the best birthday presents I have ever gotten. Thanks, Disney!
    Morning Glory was only okay. It was really slow for the first hour or so, but after that it got pretty funny. If you want to see it, wait for it on DVD. Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams are the best things in the movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    For the first time in about 13 years I went back and revisited a movie that I really did not like as a child: My Neighbor Totoro. My reason was, was that my little cousins were coming over for Thanksgiving Dinner. My mom (who is a librarian) got some kid's movies there. I felt very disappointed because they were generic kids crap that insulted their intelligence. I decided to get My Neighbor Totoro since it's a kid's movie that doesn't talk down and is almost (and I emphasize that term) universally liked by kids. So I pirated the movie and used DVDFlick to burn a DVD of it so we could watch it. One of my cousins liked it a lot, the other didn't (it's worth mentioning that he has attention problems, so that might be a factor). Meanwhile I watched it and I couldn't understand why I didn't like this as a kid as it's an absolutely delightful movie that can be enjoyed by anybody.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    Emily and I watched The Quick and the Dead, as I was in a western mood and it was one of those acclaimed 90s westerns I'd never actually seen. Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Leonardo DiCaprio, high production values: I didn't think I could go wrong.

It was... trite. Bad camera zooms all over the place, a silly fighting montage, one-dimensional characters with zero backstory, bullets that are only fatal when plot-necessary, really cheesy camera-through-the-bullet-wound-view effects, a plot that didn't make much sense, and an ending that was basically "dynamite the whole town." Nevermind the fact that the federales would have stepped in and rectified the situation driving the plot long before it came to this.

Funnily enough, the way it played out, the movie would have been much better served by being set in the court of some ancient king, with duelists or gladiators rather than gunfighters. I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally written as such. It even has Russell Crow's (anti-Wolfwood) character chained to the mayor's throne as he watches the proceedings.

Also, 90s movies look today the way 70s movies looked to me when I was a kid: hokey and old.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Showed my dad Pulp Fiction because it's mandatory viewing.
  • edited November 2010
    Saw Harry Potter 7: Part 1. When Ron attacks the Horcrux the thing that comes out is probably the closest thing to a Lovecraftian monster I've seen portrayed on film. The fight with the snake at Godrich's Hollow reminded me of the last scenes of Alien. It's official, Harry Potter is a horror franchise.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited November 2010
    Also saw Deathly Hallows today and the part with Harry and Hermione nude, kissing was really WTF. Also, the part with them dancing together seemed so inappropriate and pointless. Otherwise, I thought it was solid.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2010
    Also saw Deathly Hallows today and the part with NO SPOILARZ FOR YOU!!! was really WTF. Also, the part with them dancing together seemed so inappropriate and pointless. Otherwise, I thought it was solid.
    The nude kissing scene is just meant to impress the fans, it comes straight from the books, although it was a fairly brief description and the movie's treatment of it was a little more fetishistic and voyeur-tastic. I think the dancing scene was there to keep the tone from approaching "End Of Evangelion" levels of bleak (I have heard multiple stories about people literally attempting suicide after watching that movie). I think it worked.

Edit: I think The Birdcage is, if not the best comedy ever, Robin William's best comedy. Don't believe me, acclaimed director Paul Thomas Anderson of There Will Be Blood fame loves it too!
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited November 2010
    Tangled was a lovely surprise. I went in expecting to be mildly entertained, but found the movie really touching. It moves between very few 'set pieces' that are all beautiful, and while it starts off looking like it could be a bit shallow, really delivers some good emotion and gets very touching. Also, the animation was very well done both in the body motion and especially the facial expressions. The only down side was that the songs, while good enough, weren't particularly memorable with the exception of 'Mother Knows Best".
    I also found the villain appropriately dastardly.
    The 3d was also handled very well with the crew really using it to give depth as opposed to "haha! we've poked you in the eye again!", and created a gorgeous scene with floating lanterns that is equivalent to 'the dance scene' in Beauty & The Beast. A solid movie and worth seeing in 3d if you can.

EDIT: I also thought the scene with Ron Harry & Hermione dancing was a really touching scene and a great way to show their bond of friendship.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited November 2010
    EDIT: I also thought the scene with Ron & Hermione dancing was a really touching scene and a great way to show their bond of friendship
    You mean Harry, right?

As for movies, I saw Predators over the weekend. It actually exceeded my expectations and was decent to watch, albeit my expectations were pretty low going in. It was really weird seeing Adrian Brody in that sort of role. The deleted scenes were enjoyable and I wish they included them in the movie. The extras also had some bonus to give a background intro to some of the human "predators".

I also watched The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock. I remember watching it on flight from Boston. I don't know other than it being sorta about football and based on a true story, I seem to just really enjoy it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited November 2010
    (I have heard multiple stories about people literally attempting suicide after watching that movie).
    You hear that about a lot of successful movies. People tried to commit suicide after Avatar because the blue people were too happy.

I watched 12:08 East of Bucharest on Netflix streaming yesterday. It was one of the most muted comedies I've ever seen. Almost every scene was shot by a stationary camera at the end of the room, it was always a bit dim and dreary looking, and all the actors put on very naturalistic performances. Nothing very interesting happened either, which is driven home by the "climax" when it becomes obvious that nothing interesting happened in Bucharest in 1989. It felt kind of like Seinfeld with clinical depression.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I didn't see it, but my friend is currently being forced to sit through Lars Von Trier's Antichrist for a film class so that she can write a paper on it. She's been text messaging me for the past hour, during which time she has also had a panic attack. The movie is only about 45 minutes in, by her estimation, and it only gets worse.
  • Tangledwas a lovely surprise.
    Pete & I also found it fun. I love that it had the feel of an old-school Disney musical. Also, we loved the horse.