This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I'm 25 and I suppose I just don't want to see Disney return to cookie-cutter stories or try to pretend that quality is the only thing that counts in a movie. I am happy to hear about Lasseter being handed the reigns and think that he will do a good job moving forward.
  • Disney is getting back to the right idea of how the best films are ones with great story, great characters that can appeal to anyone.
    One thing that needs to be added to that list is timelessness. When a movie is propped up only on pop-culture references, (for the most part) it's not going to be a good movie at all.
  • One thing that needs to be added to that list is timelessness.
    Just make a god damned Donald Duck movie. Or Scrooge a la Citizen Kane. The worldwide sales alone would probably make dangerous amounts of money.
  • Disney is getting back to the right idea of how the best films are ones with great story, great characters that can appeal to anyone.
    One thing that needs to be added to that list is timelessness. When a movie is propped up only on pop-culture references, (for the most part) it's not going to be a good movie at all.
    Also true. That's particularly why Tangled was such a surprise, since it felt like it was going to be a Dreamworks Shrek-like piece. I'm not sure if Bolt would count as timeless, since it has the giant Truman-Show based scenario, but it's still funny, heartwarming, etc...
  • One thing that needs to be added to that list is timelessness.
    Just make a god damned Donald Duck movie. Or Scrooge a laCitizen Kane. The worldwide sales alone would probably make dangerous amounts of money.
    They made a theatrical DuckTales movie.
  • Tangled was a lovely surprise. I went in expecting to be mildly entertained, but found the movie really touching. It moves between very few 'set pieces' that are all beautiful, and while it starts off looking like it could be a bit shallow, really delivers some good emotion and gets very touching. Also, the animation was very well done both in the body motion and especially the facial expressions. The only down side was that the songs, while good enough, weren't particularly memorable with the exception of 'Mother Knows Best".
    I also found the villain appropriately dastardly.
    The 3d was also handled very well with the crew really using it to give depth as opposed to "haha! we've poked you in the eye again!", and created a gorgeous scene with floating lanterns that is equivalent to 'the dance scene' in Beauty & The Beast. A solid movie and worth seeing in 3d if you can.
    I really liked the movie and I agree with your assessment. The score was pretty weak, but the lantern scene made it all worthwhile. I thought it was interesting that the villain used purely emotional manipulation, as opposed to magic or physical power to control the heroine throughout most of the movie. I like Maximus, and I thought the thugs at the inn were pretty dang hilarious. My mom didn't like it as much as I did, but my dad dug it. (She was annoyed that Disney made a villain that was very morally unambiguous again, and didn't care a ton for Rapunzel's character design, because it was a bit too barbie-ish. She wished it was more like the sketches at the end.)
  • They made a theatrical DuckTales movie.
    Yeah, twenty years ago. I saw it in the theater.
  • They made a theatrical DuckTales movie.
    Yeah, twenty years ago. I saw it in the theater.
    I would love it if they were to make an animated adaptation of the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, but I doubt that it will ever happen. The characters associated with Mickey Mouse just aren't in the public spotlight anymore as characters, just as symbols.
  • Damn straight. NO ONE (that I know) CAN BEAT ME AT DISNEY TRIVIA. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    John Canemaker, my advisor. He would pwn you.
    Also, I bet I know more of the animators and the production staff over the years than you do. Jus' Sayin'...
  • Also, I bet I know more of the animators and the production staff over the years than you do. Jus' Sayin'...
    Has the gauntlet been laid down?
  • John Canemaker, my advisor. He would pwn you.
    Also, I bet I know more of the animators and the production staff over the years than you do. Jus' Sayin'...
    Note how I said "that I know."
  • As I kind of mentioned in my drunken tweets last night, I had a bit of a movie binge yesterday.

Post Grad is a typical romcom with some funny moments but the movie as a whole is completely predictable and not realistic in any way. I didn't see this on purpose.

Dodgeball was another surprisingly good comedy that I've seen recently. Yeah, I've pretty much been going through all the 2000's comedies that I just haven't gotten around to yet. Perpetually LTTP.

And in Movies That Are Still Bad Even When Drunk, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Edition: Not even 3 glasses of wine and 8 beers could make this enjoyable to watch. I didn't even care when the aliens "showed up" because the rest of the movie was just so awful. Now I just wish I could forget that it ever happened.
  • Saw due date yesterday. Kinda funny, but really, It's just a vehicle for Robert Downey Junior to be Robert Downey Junior, and Zach galighiasodnfihous to re-hash his character from The Hangover.
  • To see Zach galawhoseewhatsists in a good movie you should see It's Kind of a Funny Story. He actually has some dramatic chops, not big ones, but they are there.
  • To see Zach galawhoseewhatsists in a good movie you should see It's Kind of a Funny Story. He actually has some dramatic chops, not big ones, but they are there.
    That's good, I'll check it out. I've only seen it twice, but I'm already sick of him playing "Guy who is somewhat disconnected from normal people and does things wrong but tries REALLY hard, and is kinda fat and disgusting, takes drugs, and does crazy things while being enormously irritating to who he travels with until those people feel sorry for him and accept him."
  • Tangled was absolutely fabulous. The 3D was done nicely especially during the lantern sequences. Pascal is quite possibly the most adorable chameleon on the planet. I want a plushie of him.

Didn't realize who all the voice actors were until the credits, which is nice because normally when I recognize the voice I normally just think of that person instead of the character.

As for the previews, I walked out on the Justin Beiber preview on principle. I didn't know that movie existed until I saw the standee at the theater. I wanted to tear it up.

Also the preview to Cars 2 was the first Pixar preview that didn't have me excited whatsoever. Even though I did recognize the voice of Michael Caine, I really am just repulsed at Larry The Cable Guy being in that movie. Maybe I'm being too biased, but I'll wait and see what others say before going out to watch the movie.

Also that Mars Needs Moms or whatever it's called looks meh.
  • I'm already sick of him playing "Guy who is somewhat disconnected from normal people and does things wrong but tries REALLY hard, and is kinda fat and disgusting, takes drugs, and does crazy things while being enormously irritating to who he travels with until those people feel sorry for him and accept him."
    He's only a few of those in "Funny Story." It's really a fantastic movie.
  • Tangled was absolutely fabulous. The 3D was done nicely especially during the lantern sequences. Pascal is quite possibly the most adorable chameleon on the planet. I want a plushie of him.

Didn't realize who all the voice actors were until the credits, which is nice because normally when I recognize the voice I normally just think of that person instead of the character.

As for the previews, I walked out on the Justin Beiber preview on principle. I didn't know that movie existed until I saw the standee at the theater. I wanted to tear it up.

Also the preview to Cars 2 was the first Pixar preview that didn't have me excited whatsoever. Even though I did recognize the voice of Michael Caine, I really am just repulsed at Larry The Cable Guy being in that movie. Maybe I'm being too biased, but I'll wait and see what others say before going out to watch the movie.

Also that Mars Needs Moms or whatever it's called looks meh.
    I was wondering how people would react to that. When I saw the first ten seconds of the Bieber movie, I was kind of like "Oh look, this cute kid is playing a cool drum beat with his hands." But then after that, we saw that text and heard the "Oh-ho-whoa-whoa-whoa." I never saw Cars, but I know it as the weakest Pixar film. And to be fair, Larry The Cable Guy hasn't been doing anything lately. And that Mars Needs Moms looks lame too, the predictability is resonating off of it.
  • edited December 2010
    Also that Mars Needs Moms or whatever it's called looks like the creepiest movie in existence based entierly on the faces of the characters.
    FIFY
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I watched The Bounty Hunter out of curiosity. I hate Gerard Butler now. Honestly, I'm not of fan of many of today's romantic comedies, because they are addicted to the same tropes, but the people who wrote the film couldn't bother to explain why the couple hated each other in the first place.

I know this sounds nihilistic, but are their any great movies or books, about the bickering couple that strangely loves each other, and gets married, but after they advance their relationship, they have really shitty lives? Like a really depressed couple that ends tragically? So many romcoms involve two people who are opposites and bitter to one another, that this fantasy sickens me. That's all passion, it's not love.
  • I know this sounds nihilistic, but are their any great movies or books, about the bickering couple that strangely loves each other, and gets married, but after they advance their relationship, they have really shitty lives? Like a really depressed couple that ends tragically? So many romcoms involve two people who are opposites and bitter to one another, that this fantasy sickens me. That's all passion, it's not love.
    You ever wonder why they cut the movies when they do :-p
  • I know this sounds nihilistic, but are their any great movies or books, about the bickering couple that strangely loves each other, and gets married, but after they advance their relationship, they have really shitty lives? Like a really depressed couple that ends tragically? So many romcoms involve two people who are opposites and bitter to one another, that this fantasy sickens me. That's all passion, it's not love.
    I can tell someone hasn't been going to the arthouse to watch films lately. It's all in the indie and foreign film scene. Hollywood stays away from that sort of thing because it isn't popular. Mass market wants goofy escapism happy endings (and I sometimes do too.)
    You ever wonder why they cut the movies when they do :-p
    Of course. XP But on the subject, I don't know any indie or foreign films that do that though. Best I can think of right now, is 500 Days of Summer was really amazing at handling relationships and breaking up in a realistic fashion. I'm more of picking on the opposites attract trope, because it's really been pushed down recently. This isn't the 30s where that kind of relationship makes any sense, these are modern-day movies with immature-sensibilities.
  • The other point Nukejsr, is that these movies are Fantasy and escapism for people who don't like dragons and spaceships. If they wanted real romance they would find it in real life :-p
  • If they wanted real romance they would find it in real life :-p
    Just like people who want money...
  • Just like people who want money...
    Well that's a LITTLE harder to just get. A relationship in terms of probability of you making a shit ton of money or getting into a relationship, I'd bet on relationship.... Unless you are Rubin.
  • Just like people who want money...
    Well that's a LITTLE harder to just get. A relationship in terms of probability of you making a shit ton of money or getting into a relationship, I'd bet on relationship.... Unless you are Rubin.
    Anyone can get a relationship with a desperate nutjob, just like anyone get a little bit of money. But to get a lot of money, that's like getting a genius supermodel rock star president of a country olympic gold medalist girlfriend.
  • But to get a lot of money, that's like getting a genius supermodel rock star president of a country olympic gold medalist girlfriend.
    Not really. Not if you're smart.
  • What about a world famous billionaire bikini supermodel astrophysicist?
  • I don't know if I could deal with having a girlfriend who is that much more awesome than me. I'd prefer a moderately successful, fairly attractive singer/songwriter or something.