This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Is there anything else of theirs I should see?
    Raising Arizona, No Country for Old Men, and True Grit.
  • No Country for Old Men
    So good. So good.
  • Is Thor actually Thor, Norse god of thunder, or do they explain it with some kind of technology / aliens / something else?
    It's actually thor, Norse god of thunder, and all his dysfunctional family. Surprisingly little crossdressing, however.
    Tell the truth, Churba, was it you playing Thor?
  • Tell the truth, Churba, was it you playing Thor?
    Not this time. Like I said, Surprisingly little cross-dressing. A little hair dye, some fake boobs, I wouldn't make a bad Thor-playing-as-Freya.
  • Thor was greatly enjoyable. I did go in with minimal expectations because I wasn't too impressed with the costumes from what I saw, but after seeing the movie they worked well. There were some very funny moments where I was laughing out loud. I also think Chris Hemsworth did a great job as Thor even though I've been wanting it to be Alexander Skarsgard.

The previews were alright. I finally saw the Captain America trailer. Looks decent. Conan looks like a nice dumb popcorn flick to just watch and enjoy action. Another Three Musketeers? Really? Ugh. The new Super 8 looks like what would happen is The Goonies and Cloverfield had a baby which makes sense since Super 8 has both Spielberg & Abrams working on it.
  • Next was a Nicolas Cage ass Nicolas Cage movie.
  • edited May 2011
    No Country for Old Men
    So good. So good.
    I enjoyed it immensely throughout, but had some issues with act 3 and the ending. Just like A Serious Man. So good all through the movie, and then the ending...what?
    Next was a Nicolas Cage ass Nicolas Cage movie.
    Speaking of Nicolas Cage, this is a delightful article in defense of his acting.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
    Was it at least nice to look at?
  • edited May 2011
    Is it bestiality if he has sex with a horse? I mean he turns himself into a horse but he still has the mind of a man (well a god, well not really a god... an ice giant...) Didn't he also father a wolf?
    And Jormungandr. And Hel.

It's also worth noting that he fathered every one of those except Sleipnir. He gave birth to that one.

Loki is...flexible.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Thor was enjoyable, and the major characters were well fleshed-out. I did find that Thor fell for Jane pretty abruptly, although in mythology Gods tend to do that a whole lot. I can certainly see what she saw in him. If you want a good time, go with all your straight male friends and watch them deal with a moment of uncomfortable intense homosexual arousal when Chris Hemsworth is walking around without a shirt in tight jeans.
  • If you want a good time, go with all your straight male friends and watch them deal with a moment of uncomfortable intense homosexual arousal when Chris Hemsworth is walking around without a shirt in tight jeans.
    Man, he's so hot in that scene. I kept staring at the part below the abs but above the waist line.

There were a few guys behind me that said, "Damn, he's cut."
    Was it at least nice to look at?
    Next should have just been Nicolas Cage using his time travel powers to hit on Jessica Beil for an hour and a half.
  • So I saw a review on i09 comparing Thor to the Dark Knight, and was wondering if anyone here had a similar impression. I'm incredulous, and I couldn't read the review since the dickhead reviewer wasn't able to contain his spoilers. Would you say it captured the same spirit in any way? To clarify, I thought that the Dark Knight was a very gritty, modernized re-interpretation of the comic that captured the extraordinary nature of comic book escapades while remaining believable. It was a rich man in a suit who was totally devoted to his cause, and it felt like it could be a part of our world. I have a hard time imagining the same for a whole pantheon of gods in modern times.
  • If I were to compare it to any Batman movie, I would say that it is like Batman the Movie and Batman had a child who is a Nordic God.
  • Thor was good in an Ironman sorta way. Just a feel good, kick back and don't think too much summer film. I enjoyed it.
  • Watching the Breakfast Club again. I still don't think I like this movie.
    Well, I say what about, Breakfast at Tiffany's?
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off is the best movie John Hughes ever made. Anyone who tells you anything else is a liar and a dangerous charlatan and should be publically flogged.
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off is the best movie John Hughes ever made. Anyone who tells you anything else is a liar and a dangerous charlatan and should be publically flogged.
    ...I can't argue with that. Breakfast Club is solid second. Pretty in Pink is third.
  • The main thing that comes to mind when I think of The Breakfast Club is how the weird girl was way hotter before they gave her a makeover.
  • Ally Sheedy is a stone-cold fox, dude.
  • The main thing that comes to mind when I think of The Breakfast Club is how the weird girl was way hotter before they gave her a makeover.
    She looked kind of man-ish afterwards.
    She looked kind of man-ish afterwards.
    Please explain your definition of "man-ish".
  • Please explain your definition of "man-ish".
    If I remember correctly, she has a very manly facial structure.
  • I've never liked a single John Hughes movie that I've seen. Farris, Home Alone, Pretty in Pink, and Breakfast Club I all found to be profoundly counter to my comedic and dramatic leanings.

Just FYI, I've never liked the kind of Awkward/Fake it till you make it comedy that things like Farris and The Breakfast Club excel at. I also hate The Office for similar reasons. My dramatic leanings tend to be about older or at least adult men thinking out external problems. Movies about quiet introspection are rarely my favorite. Movies about teenagers are barely tolerable to me. Movies about teanagers engaging in quiet retrospection is my kryptonite.
  • So I saw a review on i09 comparing Thor to the Dark Knight, and was wondering if anyone here had a similar impression. I'm incredulous, and I couldn't read the review since the dickhead reviewer wasn't able to contain his spoilers. Would you say it captured the same spirit in any way? To clarify, I thought that the Dark Knight was a very gritty, modernized re-interpretation of the comic that captured the extraordinary nature of comic book escapades while remaining believable. It was a rich man in a suit who was totally devoted to his cause, and it felt like it could be a part of our world. I have a hard time imagining the same for a whole pantheon of gods in modern times.
    Imagine If Churba was in a movie. That's Thor.
  • Loved the little teaser at the end of Thor. I almost didn't know what it was at first, but then it hit me.
  • Loved the little teaser at the end of Thor. I almost didn't know what it was at first, but then it hit me.
    At first I thought it was a piece of the Bifrost Bridge, but that is definitely not the case. What do you think it is?
  • edited May 2011
    Imagine If Churba was in a movie. That's Thor.
    Well, I do have a fondness for big fucking hammers, and being not exactly willing to pay for gym memberships and fitness equipment shite, one of my main bits of fitness equipment is a 16 pound sledgehammer and a big tyre.

One of these days, I'm going to miss and break my ankle, but so it goes.
    Post edited by Churba on
    At first I thought it was a piece of the Bifrost Bridge, but that is definitely not the case. What do you think it is?
    I'm about 99% sure that it's the *SPOILERS* which would fit in with the next Marvel movie that's coming out soon.