This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Can I jump in late?
    No, you may not. The less competition, the more chance I have of winning.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Of course, and may suggest a purchase of Real Networks (RNWK) and Intel (INTC) stock for you?
    Thanks. Duly noted.
  • edited January 2010
    Of course, and may suggest a purchase of Real Networks (RNWK) and Intel (INTC) stock for you?
    Real Networks jumped enormously (20% since yesterday), but it seems that was caused by the CEO stepping down.

As for Intel, it seems their fourth-quarter report is released today. Now that the market is closed, all I can do is wait and see.
  • Yeah, I am planning to sell my investment as soon as they announce the replacement CEO, that should peak the market before it return to the background
  • I have an Intel order in, but the order won't fucking go through.
  • The market is closed for today.
  • Dammit. So when my Intel order goes through, will that be at today's closing price, or whatever price it is tomorrow?
  • edited January 2010
    Win

As for your order, that depends. Read this.
  • Still don't know if want to join. I'll likely make a small loss along the way, forget about it like Scott, ending up in second place or worse.
  • So when my Intel order goes through, will that be at today's closing price, or whatever price it is tomorrow?
    I need to do a show explaining how stocks work... ^_~
  • edited January 2010
    And now it is time for the ElJoe0 Report, where we look at the stock market in "awesome" terms
    Over today we saw Tenhauser keep his leader by a large margin over the rest of the pack with his large investment in Google (GOOG), but buying into other industry's to give him a 0.7%-0.8% lead over Schezar, Lackofcheese and Eljoe0, who spent all of the later part of the market session vying for for 2nd pace. Schezar keept a slim tech profile of Sony (SNE) Microsoft (MSFT) and the money maker Google (GOOG). Lackofcheese heavily investing in Intel (INTC) and nothing else earning him $687. Eljoe0 kept a wide profile, with a large jumps in Real Networks (RNWK), Intel (INTC). Jason lost on 012 Smile Communications Ltd (SMLC) and Apreche losing on Netflix (NFLX). The rest of the crew hung around breaking even. At this stage everything is to play for and the wise investor should focus on long term profit and disregard the silly rambling of unqualified 16 year olds who learned all they know about the market from the single Economics lesson they took.

Stocks to watch
    Intel (INTC)
    Google (GOOG)
    Realnetworks (RNWK)
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Apreche losing on Netflix (NFLX)
    This was intentional. Netflix was in the shitter today, so I bought low. In two weeks they have they will report 4Q earnings. I bet they made huge bank because of so many netflix enabled devices sold over the holidays.

Also, if you're thinking long-term, 3D movies in the home were all the rage at CES. Someone's going to rent out those movies, and I don't think Blockbuster will be around. Also, because they're doing such a good job of getting streaming netflix on every box, the competition like Amazon and iTunes are going to be shut out as people realize they can watch on TVs instead of their monitors.
  • Blockbuster has been going downhill for a while now; I think they may end up bankrupt inside of the next decade unless they do something drastic, and even then it might be too little too late.
  • So when my Intel order goes through, will that be at today's closing price, or whatever price it is tomorrow?
    I need to do a show explaining how stocks work... ^_~
    Hey, for the record, I used to have a very good grasp of how all this worked. But as I have not been playing the stock market and haven't been interested (read: had a project about it) in years, I have forgotten pretty much all the mechanics of trading.

I'll have to get reading, I suppose. It'd be cool to start a portfolio.
  • And now it is time for the ElJoe0 Report, where we look at the stock market in "awesome" terms
    Eljoe0 Tekkin mah Jerb.
  • Son of a bitch.
  • I've put almost all of my eggs in one basket, and am trusting in one man to make that basket grow. 1 share of Berkshire Hathaway - $99,000.
  • You should've bought 2 ^_~
  • edited January 2010
    It's not fair, he knows what comes before!
    He can see the movements of men's mutual funds!
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I really can't respond to any of the statements made in this thread. But seriously? Some of you are fucked in this game. ;^)
  • I really can't respond to any of the statements made in this thread. But seriously? Some of you are fucked in this game. ;^)
    I thought you weren't allowed to play this game, but I see a "schezar" in the most recent update. What gives?
  • HE realized he can play a game, he just can't commment..
  • I'll propably never get used to the whole "Middle click a bunch of stuff, realise I have 5 tabs that say Javascript-somethingorother, grunt in annoyance" but it's just getting less annoying than "Urgh, stupid site. Keep going."
    Smart Middle Clickums
    This firefox addon can solve that.
  • Drat, I forgot about this thing. *checks*
    Nine
    $100,000.00
    +0.00%
    +0.00%
    ... Can I just get my 100k in real money?
  • Be happy, you're in the lead right now.
  • One problem is that you can just quit and start again if you end up with less than you started with.
  • edited January 2010
    One problem is that you can just quit and start again if you end up with less than you started with.
    Is there a way to kick people out of the game? If people can join at any time, what prevents me from having multiple accounts? If I can have multiple accounts, the game is pointless.

I'll just start a new account every day, and make ludicrously high risk bets. For example, I could spend all the money on some ludicrously cheap stock. If it goes up even a little bit, the money will multiply tremendously. If it goes down, I'll just tray again with another cheap stock tomorrow, or do the same one again. Repeat until I get a huge payday.

Once I have that huge payday, and am in first place, I can put all that money in much more conservative places. I'll have slow and steady gains that keep me in the lead.

We need to kick/ban anyone who comes in with an extra account.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think people would notice if you disappeared and then rejoined.
  • Why don't we all just agree to not rejoin?
  • Why don't we all just agree to not rejoin?
    Honesty and fair play on Wall Street? You can't be serious.