This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

I know this guy.
  • edited December 2013
    My mother watched Pacific Rim.
    Apparently because it had Idris Elba and some actors from a C grade TV show called "Sons of Anarchy".
    canine224 said:

Oh, that is neat, although I do not know if it is being handled the way I would ideally like it to be. If properly set up there should be no way of the person you are calling, or vice versa, to figure out your phone number.

Shouldn't the 2 people know each other or expect their call if they are trying to contact them?

Plus there is that added caller ID that allows an auto Google search on the person calling you to screen calls.

We may eventually get to the point where numbers are obsolete and you just call specific people that share their identity manually and put them on a client's whitelist.

This is almost how I operate now, I just voice command the phone to call a person, tap their name or type their name and call.
    The only time I can recall having to type in a number is adding someone or a company with a dumb phone or limited presence on the Internet.

It's weird to me that more people don't take advantage of Google Voice in the US where it is free, if that was the case in Australia it would gain a lot of traction as everyone is aware of telecommunications companies and most are aware of alternatives.

I was totally expecting my Godmother, aunts, uncles and cousins to be using it but they are all stuck on carrier plans. Maybe the US contingent of my extended family are not tech savvy.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

Apparently because it had Idris Elba and some actors from a C grade TV show called "Sons of Anarchy".

I actually heard Sons of Anarchy is pretty good. At least the cast is intriguing to me. Among others it has Katey Sagal, Ron Perlman and Kim Coates. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet though.
  • edited January 2014
    I just heard about a brand of Chocolate marketing itself as 100% Australian made, called Copper Monkey. I've never heard of this brand, never seen it, never seen an advertisement, and I can't find out where it's made in Australia. Their headquarters is in California, and all of their stores and partners are in the US. I really want to find out what the fuck is going on here, some hinky shit going down. I will get to the bottom of this chocolate mystery.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hmm, there seems to be something odd about this chocalatier of yours Holmes.

I think this is a complete scam, everything is US based.
  • Gotta defend and uphold the standard of quality for Australian-based chocolate manufacturers everywhere!
  • Maybe it was made by an Australian in California.
  • Maybe it was made by an Australian in California.

Certainly possible. It sure as hell seems a little crazy that they'd have it made here and then shipped all the way over there for a marketing gimmick, though I suppose marketers have thought up some weirder shit over the years.

I shot them over an email last night to see what was up. I haven't received a response yet.
  • edited January 2014
    Churba said:

Maybe it was made by an Australian in California.

Certainly possible. It sure as hell seems a little crazy that they'd have it made here and then shipped all the way over there for a marketing gimmick, though I suppose marketers have thought up some weirder shit over the years.

I shot them over an email last night to see what was up. I haven't received a response yet.
    I posted on their Facebook and Twitter accounts, no response. However more than likely that they will ignore these unless I start digging in ;^)
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Churba Holmes, I got an update -
    Copper Monkey Chocolate Hi Pradyumn! Thanks for reaching out to us here at Copper Monkey. Our factory is in Sydney and the reason we have no presence in the Australian market is that it's extremely difficult to do business with the large retailers in Australia and the US likes our chocolate so we focus on that. Unfortunately companies like Cadbury have a lot more money to spend than we do on promotions and raising awareness than we do so its a little harder to get heard. We are definitely not going to stop trying though. I would love to know how you heard about us?
  • Excellent - they're a bit faster on Facebook than email apparently, but that's not surprising these days. I'll stick my head over at the post and say g'day.
  • Churba said:

Excellent - they're a bit faster on Facebook than email apparently, but that's not surprising these days. I'll stick my head over at the post and say g'day.

Australian companies are finally catching on to social media and realising that it is super speed word of mouth.
  • I have to go to a formal Wedding Reception tomorrow, it is going to be 44 degrees celsius that is 111.2 F.

It is going to be in the day time, outside...........
  • Here is news no one saw coming. Seriously.

Back to the Future musical.
  • You better believe I backed their kickstarter the minute I saw this trailer.
  • Mein Kung Fuerher!
  • Currently in the lead for the most unlikely person on the "Fuck Ken Ham" train: Pat Robertson.

• Don't be silly, dinosaur skeletons were obviously planted for us to find by Jesus.

Little known fact while most people rode on horse, Jesus rode around on stegosaurus, a gift bestowed on him by his all powerful god Dad.
  • You know what, I'm ok with Deist Pat Robertson.
  • "I don't like comedy. I always feel like they're trying to make me laugh."
  • edited February 2014
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I just found a manga called "Kiss My Ass". The description reads as thus - After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him! What does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his anus? Find out!"

• OH, it happened in Florida. Now I understand.
  • Dude in the University club says he doesn't use Windows or Apple at all because he can do everything on Linux.

I asked about games, he said he used wine to play CS 1.6, he said it was playable, I was just a little puzzled and let it go as he played Dota 2 on a Mint distro at a club computer.

I walk in the next day and he's on a Windows machine with his entire Steam library (100s of games) with all recent play dates. He was playing Super Meat Boy. He then immediately says he has the DRM free Super Meat Boy at home.

It's the same case with most of the senior students in the club (there is a specific group that is coding games to run on Linux for Humble Bundle. They claim to do everything on Linux then you walk in later and the only thing people are doing on Linux is coding tasks.

There seem to be a higher percentage of "difficult" people to interact with and far fewer genuine people.

It's probably my interpretation going back as a mature age student and kids thinking I'm 10 years younger than I actually I am.
  • So maybe some long time professional workers can explain this to me, but I got a very distressing call this morning.

A woman called saying that the state agency I've applied for isn't 100% complete and that I am required to do a credit report/background check within the company in order to qualify for more potential jobs. This was done by a DUNS Representative (Duns and Bradstreet Credability Corp) who was saying that I could get this completed for $599. At no point ever was I told about this sudden fee for this potentially useless service.

At the same time, I am convinced this is a scam...for 3 reasons.

1. The job that I'm already hired for mentioned NOTHING about having to register my credit online, just to have an account with the state agency. (Which has already been found by said hiring company and approved)

2. The number I was given by the woman DOES NOT match the number that called me.

3. The woman tried to talk to her manager about handling the cost and said that the price will be lowered from 599 to 399 without worry.

This is the shittiest way to start a morning. But at the same time, I have no idea if this is legit or necessary because this is the same company that I was required to get a number for to sign up for the state agency.
  • This is not legit. This is a scam. It might not be an illegal scam, but there is absolutely no reason for you to ever pay any money ever to anyone to find you a job.

Money flows to you. Money never flows from you to anyone (unless you are self employed or own a business). Agencies and recruiters get money from companies, not you. Agencies care about companies' credit ratings, not yours.