This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• Buzzfeed as a site is quite poorly designed for readers looking for quality content but the quality content exists.

I only tend to stay with the news section which is what Churba recommended.

If you want tabloid / clickbait trash, The Verge is where the bullshit is at.
    While the Verge has a much slicker site that is easy to navigate, the writers are bias on most articles and don't even grammar check what they write. They post opinion as definitive facts.
  • Yeah pretty much that.

Also goddammit Japan.

• edited January 2015
    Churba said:

Also goddammit Japan.

Hugh Heffner is missing out.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Jesus. I'm never gonna deny their right to exist but I just don't understand it.

• Dromaro said:

Jesus. I'm never gonna deny their right to exist but I just don't understand it.

That's no better, worse, more, or less dumb than, this:

Or this:
  • edited January 2015
    All I'm saying is I don't get the attraction to furries and their thing. I also don't get the other videos you linked. I will give the furries way more points for creativity and production values, though!

I'm never going to actively and willfully tell people to not do something they find entertaining so long as it doesn't result in the harm of another human being, other peoples property, and animals.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • The part that confuses me is it would make more sense if they gave a level of realism to the fetish/hobby/whatever it is. Like I get how someone could be attracted to a anthropomorphic animal, but like most furry costumes I see border on being mascot level of cartooniness.
  • Furries are old school? Before current costume tech?
  • Yes. Furries have been around for decades in one form or another.
  • MATATAT said:

The part that confuses me is it would make more sense if they gave a level of realism to the fetish/hobby/whatever it is. Like I get how someone could be attracted to a anthropomorphic animal, but like most furry costumes I see border on being mascot level of cartooniness.

Fox girl? Totally hot. Fox baseball mascot costume?....

The furry cartoon mascot thing seems to come out of the fandom's looooong history of conventions. I'd suspect the ability to be anonymous (under a separate identity) is a great way for someone with, say, a body that they feel is unattractive, to get away from that and just have fun have a bunch of anonymous sex.

If you see photos from old conventions (furry, scifi, whatever), it's easy to see why the furry convention community as a whole did not have a large number of people who could dress up in a clever, nuanced, or *cough* attractive *cough* way. Let's be real: it's a whole ton of large dudes mostly. They're role playing partly (armchair psychologist here) to escape from themselves, body and mind. They need to cover the whole body and basically hide who they are to feel comfortable.

Those types probably came out of the old fandom where most of the people weren't artists, and the bbs/convention scene was their primary outlet. The stereotype of the "furry artist" community/culture on the modern Internet is relatively new. Regular old furries have a scarily long history.
  • I wonder how furries feel about Five Nights at Freddy's...

Don't go looking.

They find it super hot

• So coming late to the party but...

Japanese commercials might feature maids doing ridiculous stunts with pancakes? I totally accept that.

Furries like to make corny parody music videos? Well that's not unexpected.

Benny Hill theme continues to be sortof funny but not quite really? Yup, basically.

Buzzfeed has real news? I cannot comprehend that being possible.
  • Banta said:

Yes. Furries have been around for decades in one form or another.

Centuries. Consider the anthropomorphic deities of ancient polytheistic faiths. Furries go back to ancient Egypt at the latest.
  • Rym said:

Regular old furries have a scarily long history.

Right. The greymuzzles don't know about FNAF, that's a young man's game. They probably don't have a tumblr. They were into Funny Animals. They probably had a Furry Code in their usenet signature. They used the term "personal furry" before someone coined "fursona". If they stuck around, they're probably staffers at furry conventions by now, eg. Uncle Kage, who I didn't realize was on Wikipedia until just now. They're basically a specific subset of old-guard SF/F fans.

The single ladies parody is wahjah.
  • edited January 2015
    pence said:

The single ladies parody is wahjah.

I dunno man, I think they actually crossed into the "full embrace of the weirdness" territory. I have respect for someone who fully embraces the reality of their weird fucking thing.
    That's no better, worse, more, or less dumb than, this:
    No, no, hardcore kids are WAY dumber and more obnoxious than furries.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2015
    You had the Aztecs going to war dressed as freaking eagles and lizard people.

That's probably the most hardcore furrydom has been.
    Post edited by SWATrous on

• That's no better, worse, more, or less dumb than, this:
    No, no, hardcore kids are WAY dumber and more obnoxious than furries.

This is 100% the truth.
  • AmpAmp
    edited January 2015
    SWATrous said:

You had the Aztecs going to war dressed as freaking eagles and lizard people.

That's probably the most hardcore furrydom has been.

Then again my brother knows some fucking strange people that demand to be addressed by their animal type and will meow/bark. I challenge any person to sit at a gathering of three or more furries and not want to flense them.

My WTF is that this is coming straight from my loo. Heatings out and the battery keeps my legs war.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • I dunno man, I think they actually crossed into the "full embrace of the weirdness" territory. I have respect for someone who fully embraces the reality of their weird fucking thing.

You know, after rewatching it, I'm inclined to agree with you. They're in on the joke.
  • Churba said:

Yeah pretty much that.

Also goddammit Japan.

That is the best rube goldberg machine ever.

Rule 34 Chica. I won't link any but I will say: a lot of it isn't Toy Chica.

That implies that..

that SOME of it..

IS toy chica...

• Rym said:

I wonder how furries feel about Five Nights at Freddy's...

That implies that..

that SOME of it..

IS toy chica...

Yes. Some of it IS Toy Chica.
  • Speaking of sexual WTFs (tho not fetish), TIL about the Gyeongjiu Love Castle in South Korea. Some of you may have heard about it through the PBF diplay there, but I was late to that party.
  • Who do I congratulate for trolling Republicans? All this recent upswell among Republicans with their new "anti-vax is about FREEDOM!!!" Message? Come on, who did it? Who brought this on? Who took the "if Obama said breathing was good for you Republicans would self asphyxiate" meme and made it real?
  • edited February 2015
    As a libertarian I'll say this:
    Yes, I believe individual freedom should be maximized. However, if your actions and decisions endanger not just public health and safety, but the health and wellbeing of your own goddamn kids then you are wrong. Period.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • As a libertarian I'll say this:
    Yes, I believe individual freedom should be maximized. However, if your actions and decisions endanger not just public health and safety, but the health and wellbeing of your own goddamn kids then you are wrong. Period.

That message could be used for the anti-vaccination argument as parents are apparently protecting their kids from the threat of developing autism.