This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• Daikun said:
    I'm pretty sure I remember there being Collegehumor sketch with that as the joke.

• Apsup said:

I'm pretty sure I remember there being Collegehumor sketch with that as the joke.

LoadingReadyRun actually.
  • edited November 2015
    chaosof99 said:

Apsup said:

LoadingReadyRun actually.
    This predates that by 10 days.

EDIT: Fixed link
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Bizzarely, the most popular novel among 16-18 year olds in Nevada at the moment is an Australian young adult novel first published when I was quite young, called "Tomorrow When the War Began". I don't know why, or why now, but damned if I'm not interested in finding out.
  • Churba said:

Bizzarely, the most popular novel among 16-18 year olds in Nevada at the moment is an Australian young adult novel first published when I was quite young, called "Tomorrow When the War Began". I don't know why, or why now, but damned if I'm not interested in finding out.

I think most Australians of our generations have read that book. I heard there was a trash movie made last year of it but didn't watch it.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Bizzarely, the most popular novel among 16-18 year olds in Nevada at the moment is an Australian young adult novel first published when I was quite young, called "Tomorrow When the War Began". I don't know why, or why now, but damned if I'm not interested in finding out.

I think most Australians of our generations have read that book. I heard there was a trash movie made last year of it but didn't watch it.
    Eh, the movie was apparently passable as a movie, just not as an adaption of the book.
  • Churba said:

It kind of sounds like Austrialian Red Dawn.
  • edited November 2015

It kind of sounds like Austrialian Red Dawn.

Sort of, if you can imagine a version of red dawn that's less "Ooh-Rah Wolverines America always wins in the end!", more "Holy shit we're a bunch of teenagers and those dudes have guns and shit, jesus christ we are super fucked."

If you can keep in mind that it is still a YA novel, so it's going to be short, sweet, and not too gruesome - though it still gets pretty fucking grim at times - it's actually a pretty bloody good read.

Funny coincidence - Two of the Main characters in Red Dawn(the remake one) almost certainly read "Tomorrow when the War Began", if you consider it's ubiquity(even now) within Australian schools, and they'd both be about the right age.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • ThatGent said:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e5_1439474009
    Tianjin suffered a massive tragedy.

I remember my thoughts when that video first came out. Dreading what the damage if that were a legit weapon of mass destruction.

You'd be lucky to be a witness.
  • Of course in the first Red Dawn almost everyone is dead by the end and the war still has years to be fought before the US eventually wins.
  • AaronC said:

Of course in the first Red Dawn almost everyone is dead by the end and the war still has years to be fought before the US eventually wins.

More meant a difference in attitude throughout the book, rather than the ending, but point taken.
  • I got an email from a Manning publisher asking if I'd like to take over as heard writer for some C# book. It seemed fairly legit but still... I'm definitely not qualified to write a book on .NET.
  • MATATAT said:

I got an email from a Manning publisher asking if I'd like to take over as heard writer for some C# book. It seemed fairly legit but still... I'm definitely not qualified to write a book on .NET.

No one is, no one every knows 100% of the ability of a language. Halting problem wouldn't exist otherwise.
  • edited December 2015
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/30/us-usa-chicago-threat-idUSKBN0TJ23K20151130#gFQRHF22OGILfQ2J.97

Knew the guy was full of shit when he announced his "loadout." He's played too much CS:GO.

Edit: Still, good on Chicago police for apprehending him and UC for cancelling classes to prevent anything from happening. Now if the guy walks out of PD will remain to be seen...
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited December 2015
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Just in case anyone starts - don't take it too seriously, since it's from These guys.

If they sound familiar, it's because they're also the ones who produced crazies like Mitch Mcconnell, Ralph E Reed(of the Christian Coalition and multiple gambling scandals), and Grover Norquist(Koch-funded tea-party libertarian shitheel), shit right-wing journos and bloggers like James O'Keefe(who famously was caught recutting and manipulating evidence presented to congress, trying to take down ACORN), Jeff Gannon(famous for asking Bush questions that were so softball people thought he was a plant) as their proud alumni.
  • Ikatono said:
    Wow... I've never understood why some people consider "cultural appropriation" (aka the spread of culture) to be a bad thing. Isn't this just racism/nationalism rebranded? "No you can't Y because X does that" or "Z can't do Y, that's only for us"
  • edited December 2015
    Ilmarinen said:

Ikatono said:
    Wow... I've never understood why some people consider "cultural appropriation" (aka the spread of culture) to be a bad thing. Isn't this just racism/nationalism rebranded? "No you can't Y because X does that" or "Z can't do Y, that's only for us"
    Unfortunately, that's the case. "Cultural appropriation" is just 'nother-speek of saying "censorship."

Are you of Mexican descent, but live in another country that thinks anything that appears anything even remotely Mexican as "culturally inappropriate"? Well, that would be a problem...
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited December 2015
    I have a friend at UOttawa. Very strange what's happened there.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Wow. That is probably the most pathetic thing I've read all week.
  • Yeah, and I'm sure if they turn him down or ignore him he'll go bitch on TRP about how they're bitches and couldn't handle a REAL man.
  • Also not real, guys. It's from a group of redditors called Le Reddit army. It's one of their standard profile pics, along with the usual template for their fake accounts.
  • Oh, Poe's Law, how fond I am of you.
  • They nailed that fedora.
  • I found that pretty funny.