This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• Churba said:

In Australian politics today, I had to spend five minutes explaining an insult, after the Federal member for Herbert shouted across the chamber at the Shadow Treasurer, "RELENTLESS NEGATIVITY! HE’S A VUVUZELA!"

You have a treasurer for your shadows? That's some Peter Pan bullshit right there.
  • Greg said:

Churba said:

In Australian politics today, I had to spend five minutes explaining an insult, after the Federal member for Herbert shouted across the chamber at the Shadow Treasurer, "RELENTLESS NEGATIVITY! HE’S A VUVUZELA!"

You have a treasurer for your shadows? That's some Peter Pan bullshit right there.
    And he in turn is part of the Shadow Cabinet. It's a badass title for a boring job, just the opposing members of government whose job is to focus on critiquing that portfolio. The only posts without a shadow equivalent are the PM and deputy PM, which are basically taken to be the leader of the opposition and his/her deputy anyway.
  • I don't often hit this thread, but I fell down an internet hole today.
  • But... why?
  • Churba said:

What the fuck is even going on in this country?

Met a guy who claimed that Australia was not a true democracy and the only true democracy was the US because the person you vote into power stays in power, he refused to try and understand how the Westminster system worked. Also you have the choice to not vote and also vote in Sheriff and all the other local positions.

However in all fairness he was an American ex-patriot who moved to Australia a few years ago. He's also a bit angry because living in Melbourne costs more than living in Seattle.

Not really sure what he expected considering he still wants to own his house and land in the US plus buy house and land in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.
  • A cursory glance at real estate for a condo in downtown Melbourne seems fairly comparable to downtown Seattle.
  • MATATAT said:

A cursory glance at real estate for a condo in downtown Melbourne seems fairly comparable to downtown Seattle.

It's probably the cost of petrol (you need less over here since you don't really need central heating), not sure on groceries and car associated things.
    Possibly also tax. I don't know.
  • He could just be a dummy thinking that everything in Australia is super cheap. If you move outside of downtown things get a bit cheaper naturally. But I imagine that is also the case around Melbourne too.
  • edited March 2016
    Tax and import expenses very plausibly make non-real-estate expenses significantly higher in Australia than most other countries.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • As entertaining (and scary) it can be to watch the shitshow that is the republican party and the jokes that come from it, Australian and British government is so much more fun to watch. If I just turn on CSPAN, most of the time I'm not going to find our representatives shitting on each other so blatantly.
  • As entertaining (and scary) it can be to watch the shitshow that is the republican party and the jokes that come from it, Australian and British government is so much more fun to watch. If I just turn on CSPAN, most of the time I'm not going to find our representatives shitting on each other so blatantly.

If you like it, I suggest following the twitter account "Found in the Hansard", it's basically just all the interesting and funny bits from the parliamentary record.
  • A lady came up to my sister and I at a store today and told us about how Tim Tams have human in them. My sister defused this in the best possible way.

"People or not, are they delicious? "
  • A lady came up to my sister and I at a store today and told us about how Tim Tams have human in them. My sister defused this in the best possible way.

"People or not, are they delicious? "

I cannot confirm or deny the existence of any secret ingredient in Tim Tams that may or may not be human flesh and viscera.

• Made with real Tims.
  • Made with real Tims.

And Tams.
  • Made with real Tims.

And Tams.
    Two by two, hands of blue, coming to make biscuits out of you.
  • Churba said:

Made with real Tims.

And Tams.
    Two by two, hands of blue, coming to make biscuits out of you.
    A biscuit, a basket, cookies lead to caskets.
  • An "acquaintance" of mine is trying to kickstart his new movie. He sees himself very much as an auteur making bizarre, surreal, incompetent short films that are supposed to have really deep messages. He and another person decided to create a movie about an activist with delusions of grandeur who wants to hunt vigilantes in animal masks.

The name? "Monkey With A Gun."
  • Nukerjsr said:

An "acquaintance" of mine is trying to kickstart his new movie. He sees himself very much as an auteur making bizarre, surreal, incompetent short films that are supposed to have really deep messages. He and another person decided to create a movie about an activist with delusions of grandeur who wants to hunt vigilantes in animal masks.

• Nukerjsr said:

An "acquaintance" of mine is trying to kickstart his new movie. He sees himself very much as an auteur making bizarre, surreal, incompetent short films that are supposed to have really deep messages. He and another person decided to create a movie about an activist with delusions of grandeur who wants to hunt vigilantes in animal masks.

• Nukerjsr said:

• edited April 2016
    Now, white people with dreadlocks is usually gross but calling it cultural appropriation kind of annoys me. Aren't cultures supposed to learn and borrow from each other? Isn't that part of the whole "melting pot" ? Really the racism issue is that sometimes when some white people do it its seen as some hot new style, but the same people will put down a black person for wearing dreads.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • The issue with white people with dreadlocks is they so often don't put in the work to make them look good. I remember my (white) friend David tried to make his own dreadlocks and wound up looking like he just had a whole bunch of antennas made of hair sticking off his scalp.
  • Yeah a lot of white people don't seem to actually try to make dreadlocks, they just don't wash their hair for 6 months and think that's the same thing.
  • I was expecting the new posts in here to be this.
  • Now, white people with dreadlocks is usually gross but calling it cultural appropriation kind of annoys me. Aren't cultures supposed to learn and borrow from each other? Isn't that part of the whole "melting pot" ? Really the racism issue is that sometimes when some white people do it its seen as some hot new style, but the same people will put down a black person for wearing dreads.

Pretty much any claim of "cultural appropriation" is bullshit. My favorite recent example is against an Oberlin College eatery for serving inauthentic Asian food, including serving a Vietnamese dish "using ciabatta instead of traditional French bread".

Plus if the problem is people who don't like dreadlocks on black people, then white people with dreadlocks aren't the ones at fault.