This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Contents of your pockets

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
As some know, I'm about to leave for basic training, and because of that an interesting realization occurred to me. I won't be able to have the things that I always carry with my in my pockets, the stuff that normally I wouldn't consider leaving the house without, so I took a picture of the things that I always have with me.

So I'm curious forumites, what do you carry in your pockets at all times? post a pic and describe the items please.

In the picture from top left clockwise are: house key with security fob, ken onion spring assist knife, 16 gig ipod nano, headphones in case to hopefully protect them, 8 gig flash drive, wallet, uniball vision fine red pen. Not included because I'm charging it is a moto krazr, which despite all the abuse it takes continues to work, so until my contract is up it will continue to serve.

Comments

Wallet, keys, phone. That's all I need.
  • Wallet, keys, phone. That's all I need.
    No headphones? Anyway in my pockets is

X1 Nokia E71
    X1 Wallet with £15 in small change and Oyster Card (unlimited bus and metro pass)
    Headphones
    Keys
    Pokewalker!
  • Hells yeah for the unlimited bus pass! Those things are gold.
  • Can't stand earbuds.
  • Wallet, phone, iPod, keys (includes a small Leatherman Squirt S4). On days when my allergies are acting up, I carry a pocket-pack of tissues. On days when I have classes, I carry a few mechanical pencils.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm going to expand it very slightly from "Contents of your pockets" out of necessity, into Every Day Carry, otherwise my answer would be "Phone, one end of my headphone cable, Lighter, wallet, and some assorted change depending on how broke I am."

Normally, I'm carrying my headphones, iPhone, often my backup phone which currently runs from my english number, Wallet, Change, Leatherman, Small flashlight, Lighter, Keys, Clicker for the front gate, sunglasses and my bag, which as a minimum, contains my Passport, camera, gum and mints, spare lighters Card case, storage tin, a few flash drives, a bit of tobacco, my dice, a roll each of duct tape and gaffer tape, some pens and notepads, hackey sack, some string, glue, Harmonica, and candy.

Used to carry lockpicks and a good folding knife, but I left the lockpicks at home, and I've not bought any good quality knives over here that would be useful if I carried them all the time - And my old bag was more of a solid construction, and held it's shape more. Also, It had a steel rib down along the bottom that curved halfway up the sides(And can serve as a light crowbar when I take it out of the bag), and a hard, bumpy rubber strip on the bottom.

Edit - Omnutia can attest - my bag is usually quite heavy, but I'm used to carrying it, so I don't really notice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It kinda depends on the activity. Most times when I left the apartment, I can be sure to have three things: apartment keys, wallet, and phone. If I'm driving somewhere, then those keys come too (yes, I have two key rings because I honestly don't need one of them unless I'm driving somewhere, and both of them together are too big for one ring). If I'm just going out to bars with friends or whatnot, then I'll leave the normal wallet at home and just take the mini-wallet, which can hold my ID, a credit card, and some cash if needed.
  • Can't stand earbuds.
    Neither can I.
  • IEMs >>> earbuds.
  • Wallet and keys. I keep my phone on a belt holster. Yes, I'm that guy.

I used to carry a pocket knife with me at all times. In fact, it got to the point where I forgot I was carrying it. That's how I wound up losing it to airport security 3 years ago. The TSA agent's face was priceless: "What the hell were you thinking?" "Oh shit." They wound up keeping it, as my bags had been checked and I didn't have a car in which to store it.
  • I don't carry things in my pockets of my jeans. I find it uncomfortable. I rarely put anything in my jacket other than a hair tie.

Now if you wanted to know the contents of my purse, that's a whole different story right there.
  • I don't carry things in my pockets of my jeans. I find it uncomfortable.
    Are you wearing tight, girly jeans? Seriously I have no idea how girls wear those. I love it when they do however. ^_^

My contents: wallet, smartphone, keys.
  • It used to be wallet, phone, and keys. Looked almost exactly like Sail's photo.

Nowadays, it's usually nothing. Because I'm biking, everything is in the bag.
  • Are you wearing tight, girly jeans? Seriously I have no idea how girls wear those. I love it when they do however. ^_^
    Well fitting to where it's not loose. Sometimes I put my cell phone in my pockets, but I always have my purse with me, so there is no point to put things in my pockets.

It really just depends on the situation. If I'm without a purse, I'll use my pockets.
  • Blazer breast pockets:
    Left: Wallet
    Right: Cellphone

Pant Pockets:
    Left: Keys

Keys include:
    Apartment key
    Mailbox key
    Scott's Apartment keys
    RSA key
    Yubikey

I carry nothing else. I hate having things in my pockets, mostly due to the unsightly bulge they create. I used to wear my Blackberry in a holster, but I only carry it when I'm on call now. The pre is small enough to be carried naked in a pocket.
  • I have purse, so my pockets are empty.
  • Right pocket: iPhone
    Left pocket: keys and loose change
    Jacket pocket: wallet

That's about it. Very boring.
  • Pyjama bottoms, no pockets, no contents. Normal pants hold my keys and phone. Inner-breast-pocket of my coat has my wallet.
  • A shit ton of pens and pencils. It's exam period and I don't want those fuckers to stop working on me halfway through. I once took a practice exam with 4 pens, and every single on of them ran out of ink and I had to borrow another pen when the teacher walked out. Since then, I carry 6 pens and 3 pencils for my exams.

Otherwise, in general I take my iPhone and earbuds.
  • Left Pocket:
    Keys
    DSi
    iPod Touch

Right Pocket:
    Wallet
    Cell Phone
    Pokewalker

Left Cargo Pocket:
    Headphones

Right Cargo Pocket:
    DS games
  • edited May 2010
    I generally don't carry much in my pockets anymore when I'm schlepping back and forth to work because everything goes into the 'Bag Of Holding'. My pockets usually have my carabiner key ring (which has a 1GB USB stick clipped onto it in addition to my keys), my phone (a somewhat outdated Motorola Q 9m), and my wallet.

The bag usually has whatever papers I'm reading for work in addition to a couple industry magazines, the latest novel I'm reading on my lunch break, the DS, MP3 player, earbud headphones, a few random smallish USB drives (that really ought to be consolidated into one bigger drive), a small notebook, a couple pens (one standard, one Sharpie) a folding razor knife, and my Leatherman. Pretty much everything I would need to keep myself amused and/or might need on a moment's notice at work.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Right pants pocket - iPod
    Left pants pocket - wallet and cell phone.

That's all I need, really. Beyond that, I carry whatever I may need for my excursions in my messenger bag.
  • If you use a bag to carry your stuff then talk about the necessities you have in there. The idea is more about the things we think of as necessities for daily commutes. I've become fascinated with the idea due to the fact that I'm about to lose the privilege of deciding what to carry now.
  • I don't have many necessities. Except, on my iPhone, I have the Jungle Book soundtrack.
  • I don't have many necessities. Except, on my iPhone, I have the Jungle Book soundtrack.
    lol
  • Pockets are usually whatever I need at the time. I tried the everything in the coat method a while ago but I've not worn a regular coat in a while.
  • Left pocket: wallet and keys
    Right pocket: iPhone

I have earbuds that permanently stay at home and work, respectively, so I generally don't carry any on me.

What I wonder about is does anyone actually use their back pockets? It seems like when I grew up, everyone's dad kept their wallets in their back pockets, but that never seemed like a good idea to me. It could fall out, be more easily lifted off your persons, and could potentially be bad for your back.
  • edited May 2010
    I sometimes put small change in my back pockets, although it's always less than $2. I don't use them for exactly the reasons you mentioned, it would throw my back out and especially here, my wallet would be gone in the first day.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • RymRym
    edited May 2010
    What I wonder about is does anyone actually use their back pockets? It seems like when I grew up, everyone's dad kept their wallets in their back pockets, but that never seemed like a good idea to me. It could fall out, be more easily lifted off your persons, and could potentially be bad for your back.
    In proper pants, the back pockets actually sit slightly to the side of the tailbone, preventing all discomfort and stretching. Back pockets should also be tight enough to where the wallet cannot slip out easily on its own, but not so tight so as to permanently deform if used.

Front pockets, meanwhile, cause an unsightly, asymmetrical bulge on the thigh, even in loose pants.

The preferred place for wallets and phones, in my opinion, is the breast pocket of a jacket. (Nothing should ever go in the breast pocket of a Tshirt). If this is unavailable due to a lack of class, the back pocked should be used for slim, nonfragile things like wallets, the front for keys and (separately) cellphones. A holster is always preferable to a pocket for the latter, however, and when possible, I prefer to leave the former in a bag.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2010
    Back pockets are also pickpocketed more easily than front pockets.
    Post edited by Sail on