This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Contents of your pockets

Comments

• I have pretty much 3 different modes. summer, work and winter. Summer is the basis of everything and the others add more stuff.

Summer:
    -Keys(car, key-fob, house, master-lock, carabiner)
    -Comb(ace)
    -Cell Phone(LG chocolate 3)
    -Wallet(Ramones)
    -Guitar pick(s)[Fender Extra Heavy celluloid]
    -Zune 120
    -cash

Work(in addition to above)
    -Knife
    -Pen
    -Flashlight

Winter: stuff in my leather jacket(in addition to above)
    -Ear plugs
    public class Work extends Summer
  • O.o I take a break from C# and see that joke. Awesome.
  • O.o I take a break from C# and see that joke. Awesome.
    Yeah, I was up late working last night, and it just popped into my head.
  • Towels don't have pockets.
  • Usually?

Guitar picks
    Wallet
    Car keys
    Ipod
    Cellphone
    Harmonica

I think that's about it.
  • Wallet, keys, phone. K.I.S.,S.
  • Right Jean Pocket (The one which should have a cellphone): Deck of Cards

Right Jean Pocket: Ipod

Left Jean Pocket: Wallet

Any pocket may contain 1-5 pencils on any given day.

My messenger bag (Love this thing, picked up for ~$80 at a local bike store about 3 years ago): Math Textbook, Japanese Textbook, Notebook, TI-84 Calculator, Charger for laptop, mouse

I also carry my laptop with me.

That's about it.
  • Contents at Present Moment

Right Jean Pocket: iPhone

Left Jean Pocket: Wallet, Collapsible Headphones
  • Usually?

Guitar picks
    Wallet
    Car keys
    Ipod
    Cellphone
    Harmonica

I think that's about it.
    I use to carry a harmonica. I use to at a different time carry a game boy micro
  • Ok peoples, I've given up on my lost wallet being returned and need a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? The caveat is I need to look like a professional when I buy lunch, not a high schooler. So no duct tape wallets and nothing with retarded chains.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok peoples, I've given up on my lost wallet being returned and need a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? The caveat is I need to look like a professional when I buy lunch, not a high schooler. So no duct tape wallets and nothing with retarded chains.
    My general recommendation is something in the "billfold" or "bifold" arena. Plain, black leather with enough pockets to do what you need (in terms of cards, etc.).
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Trifolds are superior. However, most people load them improperly, causing them to be far thicker than they need to be. A properly loaded trifold will old fold the bills within it in ONE place: not two. If you bills are folded twice in a trifold, you're doing it wrong.
  • I came from a simple leather bifold. While good, I'm wondering what other options there are.
  • While good, I'm wondering what other options there are.
    The Jimi. It only fails if you have too many cards or you carry a lot of cash.
  • The Jimi. It only fails if you have too many cards or you carry a lot of cash.
    Might give it a go. Strictly speaking I only need 3 cards: credit, debit, and license.
  • Credit, Credit, ATM, Insurance, License, RFID for work.
  • Credit, Credit, ATM, Insurance, License, RFID for work.
    Oh crap, you just made me realize I've lost my health insurance card. *facepalm*
  • edited July 2010
    I'm wearing a dress without pockets.
    My purse has my prescription sunglasses, wallet, ipod w/earbuds and wall charger, cell phone, lip gloss, key chain w/ keys, bottle of OTC pain killers, sunscreen, two pencils, two mango flavored Crystal Light on-the-go packets, a Kashi bar, and two solid perfume pots.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • - Wallet (contains, among other things, the two keys I have)
    - iPhone
    - Earbuds

When driving in addition to the above:
    - Driver's license (ID card licenses have only been introduced here recently and I don't have one yet, so I use the old standard from here which is basically in a passport-like format)

The contents of my backpack are far more interesting. In various permutations they often include, but are not limited to:
    - Laptop and power supply
    - Power strip (guarantees a power outlet at the university if one is physically there)
    - Mouse for the laptop
    - Pliers
    - Cable ties
    - Nintendo DS
    - assorted Manga or other reading materials (in case of a "stranded"/waiting half an eternity of the bus-scenario)
    - tissue
    - towel
    - USB hard drive
    - Notebooks
    - various pens
    - iPhone cable
    - Gloves (recently, for when I'm working at my brother-in-law's home construction site)
    - Flashlight
    - Telescoping umbrella
  • My keys and my pokewalker. And maybe 15 cents. The keys are the only consistent thing. They're getting a little weighed down with my anime/broadway keychains though...
  • iPhone and Wallet. Wallet has petty cash and a belgian ID card. I assume that'll soon change once I start university.
  • Keys, wallet, phone. The former is in my front pant pocket: the latter two are in my breast pockets.
  • edited July 2010
    Keys, Wallet(Bank card, ID, GoCard, library card, Cinema card), handcuff keys, Change, Zippo, Phone, Leatherman Wave.

My bag is still an entirely different story - Various odds and ends, but in perpetuity, a spare packet of smokes, spare lighter, some string, gaffer tape, flick-down baton, swiss army knife,, adhesives, CPR mask, pens, notebook, Gum, spare carabiner or two. Assorted other items, depending on needs.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2010
    handcuff keys
    Of course. Shims or proper keys?

Also, what bag do you use? You strike me as a man who would be able to recommend a good one. I've been considering Chrome's Soma or Ivan, the latter of which doubles as a beer cooler and drybag. I'll probably go with the Ivan just because of how much ass it kicks (reviews call it "cavernous" and "indestructable") even if it doesn't have Chrome's signature (and awesome) seat beat buckle.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Of course. Shims or proper keys?
    Proper keys. I used to keep shims in the lining of my boots, but I'm yet to install them into this pair yet.
    Also, what bag do you use? You strike me as a man who would be able to recommend a good one. I've been considering Chrome'sSomaorIvan, the latter of which doubles as a beer cooler and drybag. I'll probably go with the Ivan just because of how much ass it kicks (reviews call it "cavernous" and "indestructable") even if it doesn't have Chrome's signature (and awesome) seat beat buckle.
    Well, I personally just use a simple, cheap, converse canvas satchel that I'm yet to modify at the moment, but I used to use a heavily modified Targus Laptop satchel.
    Modifications included :
    -Treated Mild steel reinforcing flat-bar across the bottom that doubles as a small pry-bar, plus protective pocket to stop it tearing or wearing through the bag.
    -Replaced soft plastic grip-plate on the bottom with a very hard rubber ridge-strip.
    -Added additional small pockets in the lining, and added a kevlar and ballistic nylon underlay to the front and side panels.
    -Wove steel threads into the strap to make it much more cut-resistant
    -Removed buckles and fittings, replaced them with plastic-coated steel buckles, put better zips on
    -Added better padding on the shoulder-pad. Is nice.
    -Some intergrated attach points for my regular gear, such as baton, bottle openers(Waiter's friend and Barblade), small first aid kit

Now, enough being proud of my work. On to your bags.
    As for which to pick, it depends on what you're going to use it for. Personally, I'd get the Metropolis satchel, but I just like satchels, I'm used to them.
    However, made to chose between the Soma and the Ivan, I'd go for the Ivan - It's simply better, I figure, at what it does, and if being a beer cooler and dry bag is something you're viewing as a positive trait, probably better as what you want it to do.
    It's also bigger, more weatherproof, and better for multiple situations - as much as I like satchels, I have had to develop a bunch of tricks to use them in some situations - for example, I've a trick for looping the strap so that it sits high and tight on my back like a backpack, rather than at my thigh, for when I'm on my bike - so long story short, in your case, and looking at the two reviews comparatively, I'd go the Ivan.
  • I'm going to use the bag for just about everything-- classes, groceries, travel, etc. The reason the cooler is an upshot is that Chicago summers become unbearably hot and humid (though I know you've had worse), and the dry bag is nice because it means that if I go diving or snorkling, I can lash it to the boat and not worry about the water. That being said, I've been looking at the Berlin, a messenger with a four-point strap for weight distribution and raising it up on the back, and I'm kind of digging it. 3750cu in., attach points and pockets everywhere, sleek, weatherproof. The huge Backbone backpack is also awesome.

I'll probably decide between one of those two, or the Metropolis. The Soma is looking too small, and I figure that I'm paying an unneeded premium for the Ivan's rolltop.
  • Hm, I hadn't seen them before. I'd go for the Berlin, personally, unless there's a reason that the backbone would better suit your needs. And yeah, as good as the ivan is, there is no question you're paying extra for the roll-top gimmick.

Shit, I might get a Berlin myself, when I have the cash, which is certainly an endorsement, since I prefer to buy cheap and customise. Mighty appealing, that one.

If you're going to use it for nearly everything, then you want to go big, with better weight distribution, and the most possibility for usefulness in every situation - to be honest, the Berlin just edges out the backbone in that department - and plus, a four point weight distribution is far more comfortable for a long period of lugging, over a pair of backpack straps, unless you've got an ALICE frame under it.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, I like the harness. I'll probably get the Berlin; the only better distribution system seems to be an Arc'teryx pack, which at 60 liters is far more suited to long-distance backpacking.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah, I like the harness. I'll probably get the Berlin; the only better distribution system seems to be an Arc'teryx pack, which at 60 liters is far more suited to long-distance backpacking.
    I gotta admit, I would like to get the Arc'teryx Quiver pack, or something like it that's decent and spacious, because a messenger or satch can be annoying at times, when you're moving around, and you want something than hugs tight to your back without the size of a backpack.