This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Contents of your pockets

Comments

• I'm a fan of big coats with big pockets.
  • What I wonder about is does anyone actually use their back pockets?
    I do, but then again I also live in a less urban area so there's less chance of someone ganking it on the street and I'm not walking for my commute so there's very little chance of it falling out of my pocket. I find that my wallet is too bulky for my front pocket as I use a passcase bi-fold that is almost square in dimension and typically pretty thick from all the receipts that get jammed in there (I really need to clean it out more than once a month when I balance the checkbook). I tried using a tri-fold for a while but that made me feel like I was back in grade school (I had one of those nylon & velcro tri-folds) and I hate the weird fold they put in the bills. I also tried using a money clip for a while but as I don't carry much cash it ended up being a moot point (I use the debit card for almost everything I buy that would normally be a cash transaction). I've often wondered how my dad gets around without losing his wallet, though. His is almost like a checkbook case without the pad of checks in it; one side is for bills, the other is where he keeps his license and credit cards. The darned thing sticks out of his back pocket a good four inches, although when he's wearing a coat with an interior pocket he usually stashes it there instead.

Wile we're on the sub-topic, what type of wallet is the preferred one of the rest of the forum?
  • Wile we're on the sub-topic, what type of wallet is the preferred one of the rest of the forum?
    I've had the same trifold for a decade. It's just long enough to where the bills are only creased once, saving space.

I tried the Jimi for a while, but I have too many cards to carry.
  • Wile we're on the sub-topic, what type of wallet is the preferred one of the rest of the forum?
    What are our options?
  • I've had the same trifold for a decade. It's just long enough to where the bills are only creased once, saving space.
    I have two - one that I got for my 18th birthday(a nice billabong leather tri-fold) and a Louis Cardini wallet that has a little story behind it that I keep quite to myself. I generally prefer the Louie C(The Metal strip on the Billabong invariably creates problems at airport security resulting in having to clean it out, X-ray it, and then re-fill it), but I'll swap it out for the billabong at times.
  • Behold.... the front pocket wallet!

http://www.amazon.com/Slimmy-Front-Pocket-Wallet-Alternative/dp/B00013D2NI

I haven't tried using one myself, but it might not be a bad idea. It is a constant battle to trim the contents of my wallet, and this reduction in wallet thickness could allow me to stash some more cards.

On another note, did anyone else initially read the name of the wallet, "Slimmy", as "Slimy"? Definitely gave me second thoughts as to whether it should be put in my pocket.
    I used to have tri-fold wallets when I was younger, but have switched to a leather bi-fold because it's not as thick and only folds my bills once. It also has two bill areas, one that I use for bills and one for receipts. Bonus is the small pull-out bi-fold, which as I said earlier, is used for going out when I only need a couple cards and some bills.
    Um - If you're keeping your wallet in your back pocket, or your wallet is too big to comfortably fit in your front pocket, or both, you're doing it wrong.
    Um - If you're keeping your wallet in your back pocket, or your wallet is too big to comfortably fit in your front pocket, or both, you're doing it wrong.
    My wallet fits perfectly comfortable in my front pocket. My point was that with the thinnest possible wallet, one could cram as much crap as possible into said wallet while maintaining that comfort level.
  • My wallet fits perfectly comfortable in my front pocket. My point was that with the thinnest possible wallet, one could cram as much crap as possible into said wallet while maintaining that comfort level.
    If your wallet is thick enough to be uncomfortably big empty, you're propably doing it wrong, and if you're cramming as much crap as you can into it, you're definitely doing it wrong. All you should have in your wallet is what you need, optimally - Cash if you use it, necessary cards(credit or debit, both, whatever, Ids, and maybe an extra card or two you use often, like a library card or some such), and maybe a photo or two, if you're into the sentimental thing, and maybe a note or two if you need them. The trick - anything that you don't use more than one day a week, leave it out, reciepts, clean it out regularly or use an alternate storage method, and don't put every card you own in there.
  • What I absolutely always have:
    Wallet
    What I almost always have:
    Phone
    Only when I'm going somewhere with my bike (most of the time):
    Keys.
    Sometimes:
    iPod
  • What are our options?
    Take your pick. Bi-fold, tri-fold, checkbook, money clip, binder clip, paperclip, needle and thread strung through everything, or whatever ;-)
  • Take your pick. Bi-fold, tri-fold, checkbook, money clip, binder clip, paperclip, needle and thread strung through everything, or whatever ;-)
    Bi-fold then.
  • Yep, that would be why I don't do that. Rym, I just wanted to point out that I am an incredibly lean guy, comprised primarily of muscle and bone, so I really have no padding for my butt whatsoever (making hard seats particularly uncomfortable as well) so when I sit down, even with the classy pants and there's a wallet in there, I'm painfully aware of it.

Anyway, I use the bi-fold leather. I keep the various discount cards that I use semi regularly in there, my social insurance card, license, some cash, my credit and debit cards as well as a plethora of business cards that are important. Mostly people who supply me with raw materials for making knives, my boss's, the officer in charge of my file and any that are relevant to the goal I'm working on. The think is really fat though as it has two card holder inserts in the middle, which are really useful, but also very bulky. Normally I don't notice it though.
  • Left pocket: iPod.
    Right pocket: Random assortment of change, cell phone, and this wallet.
    If I'm wearing a jacket, I tend to keep my keys and lip balm in the breasts. If not, they go in whatever pocket is least cluttered.
  • I like the suit jacket method.

left outside pocket: usually keys
    right outside pocket: usually tobacco pouch, rolling papers
    left inside pocket: phone
    right inside pocket: wallet
    left front pants pocket: ipod touch (when I don't want to carry my laptop around but will need to access the internet)
    right front pants pocket: lighter.

Sometimes I'll carry a knife in my left inside jacket pocket, since both the cellphone and the knife fit comfortably, but I've found carrying a knife to be more of a hindrance than an asset in Rochester.
  • I've had my wallet longer than a few people on this forum have been alive. I like to think that having the same wallet for 18 years means I'm a generally responsible person.
  • edited May 2010
    iPhone (no earbuds, for the same reason as Sail)
    Bi-fold wallet
    Keys, with a bottle opener and flash drive on the ring.

Usually that's it. Whatever bag I have with me usually carries the brunt of my remaining gear for any given day, stuff like my raincoat, pipe and tobacco, laptop, or notebooks. I usually use an army surplus departure bag, but I'm going to upgrade to something from Chrome soon, because they're bigger, more stylish, and better suited to long bike rides. Sometimes I carry a knife or multitool, but I don't have a good one right now. There's a nice folding leaf blade from Spyderco that meets Chicago's knife codes that I've been eying.

EDIT: I noticed the discussion about pickpocketing. A handy solution for concerts, if you don't like screwlock carabiners, is to buy large safety pins and pin key rings and fabric wallet folds into your pockets.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010
    Left pants pocket: eye drops, contacts case, and a spare pair of glasses. Right pants pocket: Wallet, car keys, and loose change. None in rear. T-shirt pocket: iPod on occasion, mostly keep nothing in it.

I carry everything else in my laptop bag.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Laundry change in my PJ pants. Otherwise, I have no pockets on my skirts. I use a purse!
  • In the left I have my wallet (tri-fold) and writing utensils, usually one pen and one pencil, currently two pencils. In the right my phone, a cheap ass multi-tool, and some bells attached to a metal jolly roger. Depending on the pants I often also carry a hacky sack, a lighter (when filled), and if necessary keys.
  • tri-fold
    Tri-fold is small time.
  • Front right pocket: Phone, occasionally a pack of Newport 100s
    Small pocket above the front right pocket: Zippo and occasionally rolling papers (move to right back pocket if this pocket doesn't exist)
    Left front pocket: Wallet, occasionally iPod (with or without headphones, depends on whether I'm walking or driving with it), and any loose paper money I don't feel like taking out my wallet to put away
    Right back pocket: Keys, any extra lighters
    Left back pocket: Occasionally change, otherwise empty

If I wear a jacket, I might move my cigarettes to an inside breast or an outside pocket, keys maaaybe to an inside breast pocket. My T-shirts never have pockets, and I almost always wear jeans.
  • You should never keep your wallet in your back pocket.
    Good technique, though sloppy execution. You shouldn't leave the wallet hanging out of the mark's pocket that long, and throwing it across the escalator was flashy and unnecessary, much easier to tag to the runner as he steps onto the escalator, or ditch it in his sleeve and cross his arms, and then ditch it either to the runner, or worse comes to worse, into his own pocket, then bug out.
  • You shouldn't leave the wallet hanging out of the mark's pocket that long, and throwing it across the escalator was flashy and unnecessary,
    Pretty sure that was all for the camera.
  • edited May 2010
    Good technique, though sloppy execution. You shouldn't leave the wallet hanging out of the mark's pocket that long, and throwing it across the escalator was flashy and unnecessary, much easier to tag to the runner as he steps onto the escalator, or ditch it in his sleeve and cross his arms, and then ditch it either to the runner, or worse comes to worse, into his own pocket, then bug out.
    Your knowledge of such methods concerns me.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Right pants pocket: wallet, pen, mechanical pencil,
    Left pants pocket: phone, change, keys, memory stick
  • Your knowledge of such methods concerns me.
    It's simply a case of forewarned is forearmed - If you know the difference between A black money and a spanish prisoner, you're not likely to be caught by either, for example. It's like Kevin Mitnick - He once was black hat, now he uses his powers for good, and people employ him for computer security consultation, because he knows the game. Also, it's kinda fitting in with my lifelong fascination with magic, it's the same thing, except you're tricking people to steal their money, rather than entertain them for money.
    Pretty sure that was all for the camera.
    Most likely, but it does disappoint me when they do that, since they're meant to be a "We show you the scams the way they're done" show.
  • I have pretty much 3 different modes. summer, work and winter. Summer is the basis of everything and the others add more stuff.

Summer:
    -Keys(car, key-fob, house, master-lock, carabiner)
    -Comb(ace)
    -Cell Phone(LG chocolate 3)
    -Wallet(Ramones)
    -Guitar pick(s)[Fender Extra Heavy celluloid]
    -Zune 120
    -cash

Work(in addition to above)
    -Knife
    -Pen
    -Flashlight

Winter: stuff in my leather jacket(in addition to above)
    -Ear plugs