This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

World Cup 2010

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
It begins.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Meh.
    I think it's got the perfect time to be anti-meh in the US. Basketball will be over very soon. Hockey is over. Football is far away. Baseball is still early. Hockey just finished. Golf is rocking, but that's only a weekend thing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2010
    I think it's got the perfect time to be anti-meh in the US. Basketball will be over very soon. Hockey is over. Football is far away. Baseball is still early. Hockey just finished. Golf is rocking, but that's only a weekend thing.
    I.E. Meh to all professional sports :-p

Though if your interested in the statistics upon who has the best chance of the cup, I sugguest Fivethirtyeight
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited June 2010
    Usually I'm pretty "meh" on the sports, but the Colombian in me is inclined to watch this on my new HDTV. But alas... I don't have cable :-/
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • The World Cup in what sport?
  • edited June 2010
    Soccer / Football. For the most part, I'm pretty 'meh' myself when it comes to watching soccer on TV. For me to totally be able to enjoy the game I prefer to be there in person (which is a bit difficult in the case of the World Cup.) I miss the days when I used to live in Columbus, OH and tickets to the Crew games were cheap. Unfortunately it is now more than a bit of a trip to try and catch a Chicago Fire game.

Sidebar: Is it wrong that I often thought that if I had mega-huge amounts of money that it would be fun to buy the St. Louis Steamers soccer team and then move them to Cleveland, just to get one of the new team jerseys?
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • I don't like the noise they insist on making at all times during the games.
  • The World Cup in what sport?
    Football. Also, the first real match starts Monday.
  • Football. Also, the first real match starts Monday.
    I dunno, England's head coach says that the US is well-organized enough to put up a fight...I'll be watching it. But we all know the US will get steamrolled.
  • I dunno, England's head coach says that the US is well-organized enough to put up a fight...I'll be watching it. But we all know the US will get steamrolled.
    Unless the coach of the USA can make miracles happen (odds are very much against him), they'll be toast. Though they're in an easy group, so they have some chances of getting to the next round, at which point they'll be up against Germany and Argentina after that, so yeah, the USA is likely to get roasted early on. The Netherlands will meet Brazil in the quarter-finals and lose 2-1 or 3-1.
  • I don't think the US can go deep. They might not even get out of the first round. However, I do think that due to the injuries on England, they do have some chance to win this first game.
  • edited June 2010
    I am rooting for the underdog tomorrow. I am very confident that the USA will pass to the next round, after that I am not sure what will happen. However, I am pretty sure that tomorrow's match will be very interesting, unlike France vs Uruguay which was pretty weak. The opening match was pretty good even though South Africa and Mexico tied 1-1. South Africa could have won but they missed so many goals it was silly.
    Many people think this will be Spain's year. I am going for Brazil myself.
    I like the actual football, but I love the "joga bonito" from day of yore:

Also, this is the song of the World Cup:

And this is the anthem:
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Many people think this will be Spain's year.
    I also think Spain is the most dangerous.
  • I predict Spain, Brazil, and England in the top 4. I just LOVE watching the style of Soccer Brazil plays.
  • Many people think this will be Spain's year.
    I also think Spain is the most dangerous.
    I agree.
  • edited June 2010
    Many people think this will be Spain's year. I am going for Brazil myself.
    Brofist.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • I'm rooting for Danmark all the way, but I don't actually watch enough soccer to know their chances. I heard that they were decent this year, but that was from other Danes. I'm hoping they beat the Netherlands badly just 'cause a friend is rooting for them.
    USA's looking decent, despite that their only goal so far was by a bad mistake.
  • Wait, if the UK loses to the USA, that is like being beaten by your kid at something, when the kid is only 12..................
  • It looks like the gods of football were smiling at USA today. Good game, and I am glad the USA picked up his game during the second half.
  • I'm rooting for Danmark
    Best choice, root for nobody!
    I'm hoping they beat the Netherlands badly just 'cause a friend is rooting for them.
    That'll have some mighty interesting repercussions if it were to happen. Chances are against you.
  • I didn't get to see the game because I was on my way back from London so had to listen to it on the radio. Both teams should go through to the next round mainly down to the fact that the other two teams are so poor. A bit annoyed that England didn't win, and at our stupid goalkeeper for deciding that he is too good for the number one rule of goalkeeping - get your body behind the ball.
  • Good job Ghana, well deserved. Second half was awesome.
  • Rooting for Germany over Australia because Germany is being all open source and Australia is being all censorship.
  • Rooting for Germany over Australia because Germany is being all open source and Australia is being all censorship.
    A suitably stupid reason to root for someone, as should be the case with football, it's reason to party.
  • Anyone else kinda want a vuvuzela?
  • Anyone else kinda want a vuvuzela?
    Reading the second paragraph of the Wikipedia article makes me want them to be banned at the stadium.
    Vuvuzelas have been controversial. They have been associated with permanent noise-induced hearing loss, cited as a possible safety risk when spectators can't hear evacuation announcements, and potentially spread colds and flu viruses on a greater scale than coughing or shouting. Commentators have described the sound as "annoying" and compared it with "a stampede of noisy elephants," "a deafening swarm of locusts," "a goat on the way to slaughter" and "a giant hive full of very angry bees." The sound level of the instrument has been measured at 131 dB(A) at the opening of the horn and at 113 dB(A) two metres in front of the opening, both dangerously high levels for unprotected ears.
    Yeah, so note to self: Never go to a South African soccer match.
  • Yeah, I am also anti-vuvuzela. I bet they are actually hurting the TV ratings. People purposefully not watching because they can't stand the noise.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I am also anti-vuvuzela. I bet they are actually hurting the TV ratings. People purposefully not watching because they can't stand the noise.
    Take out the vuvzela's and you get the drums, airhorns, etc in return. I bet they do nothing to the ratings seeing as 1) there is ALWAYS stadium noise, and 2) it's not like you can't hear the commentary + ref.

EDIT: Fuck that ref, that red was inappropriate.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Take out the vuvzela's and you get the drums, airhorns, etc in return. I bet they do nothing to the ratings seeing as 1) there is ALWAYS stadium noise, and 2) it's not like you can't hear the commentary + ref.
    Yeah, but they are not as loud and annoying. Chanting, cheering, actual music, that's at least pleasant and even energizing. The constant buzzing drone is just obnoxious.
    EDIT: Fuck that ref, that red was inappropriate.
    Yep.