This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

World Cup 2010

Comments

edited June 2010
    Ref for Italy vs NZL is an idiot. He just gave a yellow card to a guy who had a cramp.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND the all-whites tie against the previous world champion. HAHA ITALY.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Yep! that call was horrendous. New Zealand deserved to win, but I am glad that so many other teams around the world are increasing on their football skills :D
  • Spain, if you fuck this up, I will fly over just to egg the team at next season's opener.
  • Everyone else can pack up and go home. This is the best vuvuzela video so far by miles.
  • Are all Soccer (football) refs this horrible? The Chile/Swiss game has more cards than a Magic: The Gathering game.
  • I'm sorry but this ref (Chile vs Swiss ) is just a dumbass, what is he doing on a wold cup is a mystery. The good thing is that, just as the teams, as we move to the next rounds the bad refs will be send home.

Also, man can the Swiss defend themselves, I won't be surprised if this ends 0-0
  • edited June 2010
    I haz an informed.

Post edited by George Patches on
  • Are all Soccer (football) refs this horrible? The Chile/Swiss game has more cards than a Magic: The Gathering game.
    That is because of the silly way that refs are picked for the world cup. Each FIFA area (such as Europe) gets to send a certain number of refs, not sure how it breaks down. While in Europe this isn't really a problem because all the nations play to a high standard, it is the weaker areas, such as Oceania, that lead to rubbish refs going to the world cup.
  • such as Oceania, that lead to rubbish refs going to the world cup.
    I don't know about this. I forget which game it was, but the bullshit ref was dropping yellows like they were burning a hole in his pocket. Pretty sure he was from Europe.
  • Ok, I have no skills of Photoshop. Please add Vuvuzela to Jesus Superman. It will be lols. Thanks.
    Also, please add Vuvuzela to other geek things like Pokemons, Mario, Gundam, etc. Anything with a stadium and a crowd will be good. Mega Man Soccer? Counter-Strike?
  • My remaining respect for Portugal died when the camera cut to an old Korean man who appeared on the verge of tears when the score became 4-0 in the span of 15 minutes. Then, Christiano Ronaldo scored a goal seemingly just so he could say he did. The difference between Brazil and Portugal? Apparently, some sporting restraint against a far lesser opponent.

Fuck you, Portugal. Fuck you and fuck your arrogant striker.
  • Apparently, some sporting restraint against a far lesser opponent.
    Personally, I would feel that restraint is more of an insult than the lack thereof. But that may just be me.
    Personally, I would feel that restraint is more of an insult than the lack thereof. But that may just be me.
    Normally, almost 100% of the time, I would agree. But 7-0 is a fucking curb stomp in football, and if you watch the game, it almost looks like Portugal just toyed with them for the first half. I just felt uncomfortable watching it toward the end.
  • I don't know about this. I forget which game it was, but the bullshit ref was dropping yellows like they were burning a hole in his pocket. Pretty sure he was from Europe.
    You're thinking about the ref from Germany vs. Serbia, who threw about more cards, he was Spanish. Chile vs Swiss was a guy from Saudi-Arabia who sucked ass. Should have been 0-0 that match. Italy vs. New Zealand had a shitty ref from Guatemala. Both goals that match should not have counted. Such is the drama of the game, you get shitty refs you can shout at.
    I agree here, and would add that with their last group match against Brazil, Portugal is not paranoid to think they may have to make do with four points to get through to the knockout stage, and will want to make sure to lock in the goal differential tiebreaker versus Ivory Coast, who play North Korea in the final group match.

Still, ouch.
  • It's professional sports. Running up the score is what you are supposed to do. Score as much as is possible. If it's little league, you have a mercy rule.

A while back NFL teams were complaining about the Patriots running up the score, when they were good. The only response is, play some defense. You're professionals. If you don't want them to score, stop them. If you can't stop them, you deserve what you get. The score represents your relative skill levels.
  • Such is the drama of the game, you get shitty refs you can shout at.
    This is part of why I think the game does not catch on in America. Almost every single other sport Americans care about does as much as possible to prevent the ref from influencing the outcome of the game. What's the point of rooting for your team or becoming emotionally involved when your team can't even control it's own destiny. I guaran-fucking-tee you that had the last goal been counted in the US game vs Slovakia and they had won from being 0-2, America would be infinitely more invested in the game. We fucking love underdogs, we love winning after being behind. A shitty ref made a shitty call and FIFA didn't do a thing about it (except for send home a ref that shouldn't have been there in the first place). The rest of the world loves to give the US shit about not caring about soccer (football), maybe we have a good reason not to care about it.
  • Such is the drama of the game, you get shitty refs you can shout at.
    This is part of why I think the game does not catch on in America. Almost every single other sport Americans care about does as much as possible to prevent the ref from influencing the outcome of the game. What's the point of rooting for your team or becoming emotionally involved when your team can't even control it's own destiny. I guaran-fucking-tee you that had the last goal been counted in the US game vs Slovakia and they had won from being 0-2, America would be infinitely more invested in the game. We fucking love underdogs, we love winning after being behind. A shitty ref made a shitty call and FIFA didn't do a thing about it (except for send home a ref that shouldn't have been there in the first place). The rest of the world loves to give the US shit about not caring about soccer (football), maybe we have a good reason not to care about it.
    This. I don't know enough about FIFA refs, but I do know that in most sports in the US, if a ref makes an obviously bad call, the other refs can tell him that he's full of shit. It's kind of hard for me to believe that all three refs in that game saw the offsides call, when the vast majority of people watching the game in real time could clearly see there was no such thing.
  • This. I don't know enough about FIFA refs, but I do know that in most sports in the US, if a ref makes an obviously bad call, the other refs can tell him that he's full of shit. It's kind of hard for me to believe that all three refs in that game saw the offsides call, when the vast majority of people watching the game in real time could clearly see there was no such thing.
    In the NHL the refs pick up the telephone and call NHL HQ in Canada. The guys at HQ look at video, instantly sent to them from every NHL game, and review it. No other sport I am aware of does this. It not only eliminates chance for mistakes made by the ref, but also eliminates the bias of the ref. They should be able to call FIFA HQ to get get an official ruling.
  • This. I don't know enough about FIFA refs, but I do know that in most sports in the US, if a ref makes an obviously bad call, the other refs can tell him that he's full of shit. It's kind of hard for me to believe that all three refs in that game saw the offsides call, when the vast majority of people watching the game in real time could clearly see there was no such thing.
    In the NHL the refs pick up the telephone and call NHL HQ in Canada. The guys at HQ look at video, instantly sent to them from every NHL game, and review it. No other sport I am aware of does this. It not only eliminates chance for mistakes made by the ref, but also eliminates the bias of the ref. They should be able to call FIFA HQ to get get an official ruling.
    I would comment on this, but I'm just going to wait for Nine to do it.
  • Vuvuzelas banned from Nathan's 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest

Personally I was looking forward to getting to see someone throw a hot dog down the end of one
  • This is part of why I think the game does not catch on in America. Almost every single other sport Americans care about does as much as possible to prevent the ref from influencing the outcome of the game. What's the point of rooting for your team or becoming emotionally involved when your team can't even control it's own destiny. I guaran-fucking-tee you that had the last goal been counted in the US game vs Slovakia and they had won from being 0-2, America would be infinitely more invested in the game. We fucking love underdogs, we love winning after being behind. A shitty ref made a shitty call and FIFA didn't do a thing about it (except for send home a ref that shouldn't have been there in the first place). The rest of the world loves to give the US shit about not caring about soccer (football), maybe we have a good reason not to care about it.
    What the hell are you talking about? The majority of America loves football, just the United States doesn't care, and possibly Canada but you hear nothing from them ever about the sport. I already said that people keep wanting the 4th official to get more of a support role in regards to the calls a ref makes, however, the old, grumpy, technophobic, corrupt (and French) top of the FIFA refuses (whether that's good or bad depends). And again, you're watching the World Cup Football, a drama spectacle between nations! If you are still butthurt about one bad call, please stop watching for you entirely missed the point of "HAVE FUN". It's like hockey, which is basically all just set in scene with the exception of the goals made.
    I would comment on this, but I'm just going to wait for Nine to do it.
    Go ahead.
    Vuvuzelas banned from Nathan's 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest
    Is the 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest in South Africa? If no, good call. It's their tradition, let them keep it.
    [The Art of Football video]
    Hehehe. Offside when past the second-to-last defender and in play as the ball is passed forward. It's not that hard. Hell, you can just stand offside all you like and when the ball is passed forward just move away.
  • edited June 2010
    The majority of America loves football, just the United States doesn't care, and possibly Canada but you hear nothing from them ever about the sport.
    MLS doesn't even reach the popularity of the other major professional sports in America (hell, not even most of the teams profit each year). Also, I guarantee you that the majority of America does not love the sport. Hell, most people only know it exists because it's a popular little league sport for five year olds. At best they are lukewarm and mildly interested about it. When I talked about America I referred to the USA...
    And again, you're watching the World Cup Football, a drama spectacle between nations!
    Drama derived from bad officiating and not the player's skill is just boring and disheartening. Also, the French are bitches.
    If you are still butthurt about one bad call, please stop watching for you entirely missed the point of "HAVE FUN". It's like hockey, which is basically all just set in scene with the exception of the goals made.
    How can I "HAVE FUN" when the majority of the teams who play in the first round are getting screwed by horrific officiating? The incident with Team America is just a symptom of a much larger problem.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • When I talked about America I referred to the USA...
    Much like how the majority of people in the world (and in the United States) mean "New York City" and not "The State of New York" when they say "New York," most people in the world mean "The United States of America" when they say "America(n)." Obviously, Central and South America are major exceptions, but "America" generally refers to us. ;^)
  • Yeah, always giving the rest of the Americas a bad name.
  • Yeah, always giving the rest of the Americas a bad name.
    We are the only country with America actually in our name...
  • .. Well, that's a nice tangent.
  • I've got a question. Every time a team has a corner kick, what do they do? They all get in a big mob near the goal. They kick into the mob, and try to head it in, or away. Sometimes the goal keeper just goes in and catches it. From what I can see, this strategy has an extremely low success rate. So, why not try something else? I remember in one game, I think Portugal, did something different. They seem to be doing pretty well. Maybe other teams should follow suit.