This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

World Cup 2010

Comments

• Yeah, but they are not as loud and annoying.
    Yes, they are as loud and annoying as vuvuzela's. Constant droning of a handful of words and air horns is just as unpleasant.

Regardless, the match has been played, the result expected. The old, rough Aussies playing like crap against a Germany that plays technically great.
  • I was expecting Germany to win but I am surprise at how well it dominated the game today. Good job Germany :D
  • edited June 2010
    Rooting for Germany over Australia because Germany is being all open source and Australia is being all censorship.
    Was Barracking for Australia, Because Rooting is the slightly more polite equivalent slang of "Fucking" where I come from, which is a constant national source for amusement when talking to Americans - Though I still do have both a shirt(which my ex made me leave at home) And a pair of boxers that are emblazoned with a "I'm rooting for australia!" Logo, but this is now officially a tangent, I'll stop.

However, we didn't really realistically expect to win, the writing has been on the wall since the last few friendlies, but we weren't terribly concerned, as we're still in the competition, and therefore, in with a chance - Wouldn't be the first time we've pulled a surprise string of victories out of our collective arse.

However, the Response from the English has been Amusing to me - they're shouting Germany's praises for doing what they pretty much never can, but in about 3 days, it'll be back to England's true and favourite national sport, Xenophobia, and their attitude on Germany will be back to the old "Those damn Huns, Eh wot!" attitude that has prevailed since about, oh, World War 1.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    Love Germany so much.
    They have done so well. :)
    delicated.net developers
    Post edited by Beankyu on
  • FIFA is seriously considering a vuvuzela ban. Said ban is rumored to have an announcement before the round of 16 starts up.
  • The fucking horns are doing my head in. Seriously. I had to put earphones in and listen to something else, just so I could concentrate on the match. Thankfully football itself is so basic I never need the commentary. Whoever thought the horns would be a good idea needs firing.
  • edited June 2010
    I had to put earphones in and listen to something else, just so I could concentrate on the match.
    My family is very picky about sports announcers. When games are on different television stations, there are different commentators, and many of them suck ass. In this case, what you can do is find a better commentator on the terrestrial radio or Internet stream and mute the television. However, you will have to put the commentator audio on a delay because the TV is a few seconds behind, especially if it's digital TV. If the commentators aren't actually at the stadium itself, or if they are in a sound-isolated press box, there should be no horns.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If the commentators aren't actually at the stadium itself, or if they are in a sound-isolated press box, there should be no horns.
    The thing is, they often play the commentators, who are in a Sound isolated press box, over the audio from the stadium, thus the problem.
  • If the commentators aren't actually at the stadium itself, or if they are in a sound-isolated press box, there should be no horns.
    The thing is, they often play the commentators, who are in a Sound isolated press box, over the audio from the stadium, thus the problem.
    This! I normally like hearing the crowd, as the thousands of eyes see things that I don't, and cheer or boo. Now I get none of the energy, and none of the added information. Just drooooooooooooooooone.
  • 2-0. Deserved victory, 2GF deserved is debatable. Also, where were your vuvuzela's South Africa? I heard NOTHING.
  • For anyone wanting an Authentic World cup 2010 experience, you should Follow this twitter.
    This! I normally like hearing the crowd, as the thousands of eyes see things that I don't, and cheer or boo. Now I get none of the energy, and none of the added information. Just drooooooooooooooooone.
    It's weird, the games here have the stadium audio mixed with the commentators even though the commentary is recorded here.
  • It seems Japan is at a genetic disadvantage. The Cameroonians are giants next to them.
  • I'll just leave this here.

25 Expressions
  • Widen the goal by three or four feet. Increase the height by one or two feet. Then come talk to me.
  • Widen the goal by three or four feet. Increase the height by one or two feet. Then come talk to me.
    I have a similar viewpoint in regards to Basketball. They really need to raise the hoop a couple feet.
  • He's just asking for a comment on moving goalposts, isn't he?
  • He's just asking for a comment on moving goalposts, isn't he?
    I'll admit, I laughed pretty hard, even if that wasn't what he was going for.
  • I wouldn't exactly call the Battle of Bunker hill a Tie...
  • I'm going to have to throw in my two cents on this one and agree with Nine re: stadium noise. Back when I used to go to the Crew games all the time the drums, airhorns, chanting, and yes, even vuvuzelas were annoying as shit (we had a bunch of twats that went out and bought yellow vuvuzelas and decorated them up with black tape so they'd match the team colors. Damn things looked like bumblebees. But I digress.) Sure, you had a whole bleacher section to choose from so you could move away from the jackasses, but you'd still be subjected to ear-rape because they were so loud you could hear the ruckus across the stadium. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting your team, but chanting the same damn thing for half an hour while you pound incessantly on a tom-tom isn't fandom - it's just annoying.
  • edited June 2010
    No, I was not trying to be funny. I seriously think they need to enlarge the goal. I want games with scores like 3-1, 3-2, etc. This would avoid a lot of shootouts for those tournaments that use them. Goalies now are tall althletic monsters, but the goal has remained the same size. It's time for a change.

As for most of the noise, my gripe is that it's not inspirational. It's just noise. If it isn't inspirational, what is the point? Singing songs is great. Chanting something with a message is great. Making noise that has no value other than being measured in decibels is a waste of breath.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • No, I was not trying to be funny. I seriously think they need to enlarge the goal. I want games with scores like 3-1, 3-2, etc. This would avoid a lot of shootouts for those tournaments that use them. Goalies now are tall althletic monsters, but the goal has remained the same size. It's time for a change.
    I think the goals are big enough. I mean, they are gigantic. Even if your keeper is as big as Shaq, he's not even close to big enough to defend it. I like games with really low scores because each score is so dramatic and exciting. It's exactly why basketball is boring, you score every two seconds, so when you do score it's nothing to be excited about. Meanwhile in hockey, soccer, and football, scoring is a huge deal.
  • No, I was not trying to be funny. I seriously think they need to enlarge the goal. I want games with scores like 3-1, 3-2, etc. This would avoid a lot of shootouts for those tournaments that use them. Goalies now are tall althletic monsters, but the goal has remained the same size. It's time for a change.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know shit about football.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know shit about football.
    Agreed, if goalies were truly beasts the error with England would never happen, nor would the 2-0 victory over Denmark today. The goals are the right size and goalies are competent players who have a lot of ground to cover. I gotta agree, the low score ratio makes each goal that much more important, so when you do see a team with 3+ goals, like Germany shutting down Australia 4-0, it is a measure of true testament of skill.
  • I have proof the goals are just the right size. Look at the huge number of shots that miss because they hit the post. If the goal was even a foot larger on each side, most of those would go in. The fact that so many hit the post is proof that the size is just right.

It's the same when making a board game with action points. For example in Tigris and Euphrates you have two actions per turn. How did they figure that out? They tried a large number of actions, then they kept decreasing it until you were frustrated by always having one action too few to do what you wanted. I imagine the size of the goals in soccer were the same. They kept shrinking it until it was just an inch too small so that players would be frustrated and barely miss quite often.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't want basketball scores. I just want a couple more goals per game. I want the goals enlarged just enough for this to happen. I know enough about SOCCER to know that a larger goal will result in more goals being scored.

Apreche, how can you love hockey and criticize my desire to have hockey-like scores? You appear to be inconsistent. Are you saying that hockey goals are boring and unimportant? I think hockey has it just right. Watch how boring a soccer game becomes when a team goes up by just one goal. Most teams, at that point, eschew offense to a degree that I find unappealing.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited June 2010
    Most teams, at that point, eschew offense to a degree that I find unappealing.
    Then your problem is that you don't appreciate the finer complexities of midfield play strategy, a problem you share with only a small fraction of the planet, and a problem which REALLY shows that you don't understand "soccer."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on