This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

World Cup 2010

Comments

• To get the talk back to the matches: holy crap Holland! Leading 2-1 against Brazil right now.
    EDIT: red card for Brazil!
    OH SHIT
    No kidding! This is a pretty intense game.
  • HFC, way to go Holland!
  • Holy fuck.
  • KUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYT!!!!
  • In Spanish, but I think you get the idea:

• I got it! :D
    Also, penalties for Uruguay and Ghana!
    Man, how did that dude lost that penalty on the last minute :O
  • What a dramatic game the match between Ghana and Uruguay was! I can't wait for tomorrow :O
  • edited July 2010
    Let's talk about that penalty, forget the poor guy who missed the shot, but think about the defender from Paraguay. This guy saw his team out of the world cup on the very last minute of extra time, there was no way to stop that ball, but with his hand. What did he have to loose? A red card? Who cares, the game was done. A penalty? His goalie could maybe stop it, or he could trust on the lack of skill Ghana has on penalties. Paraguay was betting on the penalties either way.

Someone told me it wasn't fair Mexico, and other teams were out because of a bad call, but talk about injustice, this guy saved his team by cheating and they went ahead and won. What more drama do you want?
    Post edited by Double Z on
  • edited July 2010
    I would not call it cheating. It was more of a strategy with some crazy ass luck. His team would have lost if it weren't for his hand. In a micro-second he might have thought: "I could get a red card and a penalty, but a penalty is a 50% chance of a goal while this is 100%". He basically risked it all and won.
    Those penalties were heart breaking for both nations, and this game will be remembered always, at least for Uruguay.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I also don't believe it's cheating, he got penalized for a decision he took, there was no bad call there.
  • In Spanish, but I think you get the idea:
    Hahaha! That's awesome.

And I fell asleep during Ghana vs. Paraguay so I missed that match.
  • I never said it was a bad call, but it was cheating, he broke the rules, and was punished according to it. I'm just really impressed about his decision, guy is probably a hero among his teammates.

Also that last penalty by Paraguay, the one "El Loco" Abreu kicked. If Ghana would have prepare themselves more they would have known he always kicks the penalties like that, he has done it many times in Mexico's league. I don't think there was anyone here who didn't know how he was going to score
  • Yeah Germany.

Maradona go home and cry into your golden toilet.
  • edited July 2010
    Eight goals in two playoff matches! I'm starting to like Germany's chances.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I'm Spanish on one side, German on the other. Provided Spain beats Paraguay, I have nothing to lose in the next match.
  • If Germany wins the World Cup I will be 300 dollars happier.
  • So in the end it will be the same story as always, there was no South American monster, no North American surprise, no historic African or Asian team. It is Europe, 2 European teams will play the final, and a European will rise the world cup once again.

Anyways, I found this an entertaining read:
    Time and Overtime: The Metaphysics of the World Cup
  • So in the end it will be the same story as always, there was no South American monster, no North American surprise, no historic African or Asian team. It is Europe, 2 European teams will play the final, and a European will rise the world cup once again.
    All is as it should be.....
  • The bar on the streetin our building has signs up.

"Germany upstairs, Spain downstairs"
  • Alas, poor Germany. Our rematch will have to wait till the next World Cup, let's see if we can defeat this reigning European Champion.
    I don't feel this way at all! Brazil has won 5 world cups (the closest is Italy with 4), it's the only country that has won it away from it's continent, and it also is the only country that has been in all World Cups. Brazil still has the player that has scored the most goals in World Cups (Ronaldo with 15), and the fourth place player is still Pele (with 12 goals). I don't see why that does not put Brazil as a soccer monster for you. Yes it was disqualified early (quarter finals) in this Cup, but I don't think that fact alone is reason to put us as harmless.
  • Holland vs Spain in the final then, that could be one hell of a final. Although first is the most pointless game of the World Cup, 3rd place playoff, which can mean one of two things, players just going for it or more likely, the players just wanting to get the hell out of there and be on the beach.
  • I have a feeling the 3rd place game is going to be Germany beating up on Uruguay, and Klose will tie for top World Cup goal scorer then get taken out.
  • SPAIN. MOST DANGEROUS.
  • GOTT DAMN!
  • I don't feel this way at all! Brazil has won 5 world cups (the closest is Italy with 4), it's the only country that has won it away from it's continent, and it also is the only country that has been in all World Cups. Brazil still has the player that has scored the most goals in World Cups (Ronaldo with 15), and the fourth place player is still Pele (with 12 goals). I don't see why that does not put Brazil as a soccer monster for you. Yes it was disqualified early (quarter finals) in this Cup, but I don't think that fact alone is reason to put us as harmless.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not under-appreciating Brazil, it is just the fact that no other team has been able to rise up to the challenge. Look at Spain, they finally made it to the finals for the first time in their history. Last time Netherlands was on a final was on the 70s and Germany never stops being a great team even with totally new players.

When is there going to be someone to challenge Europe other than Argentina or Brazil? When are the Asians team going to start writing history? Mexico? USA?
  • Probably when the sport dies where it was made.
  • I don't feel this way at all! Brazil has won 5 world cups (the closest is Italy with 4), it's the only country that has won it away from it's continent, and it also is the only country that has been in all World Cups. Brazil still has the player that has scored the most goals in World Cups (Ronaldo with 15), and the fourth place player is still Pele (with 12 goals). I don't see why that does not put Brazil as a soccer monster for you. Yes it was disqualified early (quarter finals) in this Cup, but I don't think that fact alone is reason to put us as harmless.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not under-appreciating Brazil, it is just the fact that no other team has been able to rise up to the challenge. Look at Spain, they finally made it to the finals for the first time in their history. Last time Netherlands was on a final was on the 70s and Germany never stops being a great team even with totally new players.

When is there going to be someone to challenge Europe other than Argentina or Brazil? When are the Asians team going to start writing history? Mexico? USA?
    I see what you're saying, I cheer for America every time, it always seems like they are going to rise to the challenge. Japan got pretty far this year. I was surprised both Koreas made it to the cup also.
  • Is this still happening, or is it over?
  • There's still the 3rd place game on Saturday and the finals on Sunday.