This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Archer, Young Justice, and King of the Nerds are my television shows of the moment.
  • Young Justice...

It's feeling several rungs below Wolverine and the X-Men. Several.
  • Young Justice...

It's feeling several rungs below Wolverine and the X-Men. Several.
    The Invasion story line picks things up nicely.
  • Slowly savoring House of Cards, on eps 9, sooo good sooo political.
  • We're currently on episode 4 of HoC.

We finished The Yard tonight. I really hope they make another season. I can't express enough of how great this show is. If you have Hulu Plus, it's worth the 3 hours of your time.
  • There is a great youtube parody going around, House of Cardinals. I highly suggest looking it up.
  • I've been watching American Horror Story on Netflix. It's surprisingly good so far.
  • I've been watching American Horror Story on Netflix. It's surprisingly good so far.
    At first I found it very creepy, but after a few episodes I kinda got used to it. It was a bit weird.

• I think that's why I like it so much is that its just fucking weird. I'm at Episode 8 of 12 and each season is a contained story. They've wrapped up a decent amount of the mystery already, except a couple so they need to quickly start addressing the stuff they haven't yet or introduce something else. Otherwise I'm gonna lose interest.
  • I think that's why I like it so much is that its just fucking weird. I'm at Episode 8 of 12 and each season is a contained story. They've wrapped up a decent amount of the mystery already, except a couple so they need to quickly start addressing the stuff they haven't yet or introduce something else. Otherwise I'm gonna lose interest.
    From what I hear, people love American Horror Story because it is the most insane, fantastic soap opera ever. And Season 2 gets even crazier, but they had the balls to change stories. I'm happy they are going to make each season it's own separate entity. I think this style of show works best with Ryan Murphy's writing.
  • Finished season 1 of House of Cards. Definitely looking forward to season 2.
  • Started watching the fourth season of Archer and it's still funny.
  • Started watching the fourth season of Archer and it's still funny.
    Season three finally just hit Netflix.
  • Going through Firefly. Second time for me, first time for Juliane. Good times.
    From what I hear, people love American Horror Story because it is the most insane, fantastic soap opera ever. And Season 2 gets even crazier, but they had the balls to change stories. I'm happy they are going to make each season it's own separate entity. I think this style of show works best with Ryan Murphy's writing.
    I dont think I'd label it as a soap opera. It is a way over the top horror drama. Some of the writing is a little doofy but I think it's supposed to be that way.
  • I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Firefly the same way again ever since I had my drunken encounter with half the cast in an elevator.
  • Story time?
  • edited March 2013
    Gonna have to hit up Archer season 3 now. I'm not actively watching any TV, unless you count Penny Arcade's Strip Search web show, anime, or what I tangentially view b/c my wife has it on. Mad Men and Game of Thrones coming soon though...
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Let us all not forget Doctor Who. That's going to be a SPECIAL weekend in my house.
  • Vikings.... Vikings...
  • My husband and I have been obsessively watching The Walking Dead. I think it's the most enjoyable show I've seen since Battlestar Galactica (the newer series). Granted, I don't watch a lot of television itself. I do enjoy me some good Adventure Time and Regular Show, though. The latter is more of a silly pleasure than anything.
    Mentioning King of the Nerds, I really liked that show. Granted, I felt like a lot of it had to be planned out -- even the competitions and who won. Things seemed to balance out far too well and coincidences seemed a bit far-fetched. Regardless, I enjoyed the series. I really want to live in that house as a permanent resident. Imagine it -- a community of nothing but nerds and an endless supply of geeky paraphernalia. We'd either take over the world, or destroy each other in fandom wars.
  • The Walking Dead's biggest problem is its pacing (and some of the shitty acting *Carl*). I hate how they have hour long episodes where basically nothing happens.
  • The show's general "feel" has changed over the seasons, this most recent season giving me more "pacing whiplash" than anything. One episode it is "boom-boom gunfighting zombies war the end!" But then this last episode was slow, mindful, and focusing on emotions. I think it's more what you come to the table expecting. It has to have slow parts in between the action -- otherwise you'll burn out.
    I wouldn't say Carl is a shitty actor necessarily, because I can argue that his bland emotions could be his mind's way of dealing with a post-apocalyptic society. He's going to grow accustomed to it faster than anyone, eventually, and learn the patterns of thought he needs to get through. Caring less? Yes.
  • edited March 2013
    I would rather them carry out side stories like the return to his hometown and the interaction with Morgan. The main story can have it slow parts, but the viewer should not be bored with what is occurring. That being said I realize there should be a buildup, a slow rumble that leads to an explosion. Any story should have those ups and downs. I just think it would be stronger if they explored other facets besides the main story some more. Also I say Carl is a bad actor not because of his deadpan presentation but just nothing he says sounds sincere. He always sounds strangely curt and seems to just say things for the sake of saying them. I kinda feel like they told him that he should sound like he doesn't care about anything then just sort of left it at that.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Read the comics. Carl goes major cold and the actor is doing a great job portraying him. Carl made sure his own mother would not come back. In the comic the group ended up with a dangerous child and a situation where no one wanted to do what had to be done. Carl took care of it and no one was the wiser except for Morgan.

Blame the writers or yourself for not clearly showing Carl's fall into coldness.
  • I will admit -- SPOILER -- the whole Woodbury/Governor thing is very old for me. I don't particularly care about this storyline. I've never felt anything -- hatred, fear -- of the Governor throughout this whole arc. I want to move past it but we just seem stuck on it. Too often I just cannot take villains seriously, and Philip One-Eye is no exception.
  • The prison/governor was a major story arc in the comic (like the farm). While I think it could have been done better the story must be told.
  • edited March 2013
    Read the comics. Carl goes major cold and the actor is doing a great job portraying him. Carl made sure his own mother would not come back. In the comic the group ended up with a dangerous child and a situation where no one wanted to do what had to be done. Carl took care of it and no one was the wiser except for Morgan.

Blame the writers or yourself for not clearly showing Carl's fall into coldness.
    I have read the comics. You also can't equate writing to an actor's acting. The writing can be PERFECT and bad acting can ruin it. The writing only comes to life based on your imagination. Therefore he apparently sounds like what you would expect him to sound like instead of actually looking at how he acts. Daniel Radcliffe does a good job being Harry Potter but that is entirely separate from the way the books portray Harry Potter. Plus I never questioned his "fall into coldness", just that the actor's delivery of it and how I believe it is not good.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • King of the Nerds ending was so disappoint.

They need me in this. The whole thing was just sad.
  • King of the Nerds ending was so disappoint.

They need me in this. The whole thing was just sad.
    My husband and I are actually working on audition videos though neither of us knows anything about video editing (other than my sad attempts at AMVs back in college with Windows Movie Maker). I wanted Genevieve to win -- I thought Celeste didn't prove her strength and just was below the radar the entire time. My husband thought that proved she knew how to win, but I just disagree.