This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• We finished up Firefly by watching Serenity. So far I've had a 100% (2/2) record with introducing Firefly to girlfriends who then enjoy it far more than I do.
    I'll be honest - Firefly is kind of a chick show.

/flame on
  • Yeah, there's a lot more actual character substance and mystery than BLAM BLAM GUNS and action. That is definitely more a chick thing.
  • It also features far more of Nathan Fillion's ass.
  • It also features far more of Nathan Fillion's ass.
    Is that just for the women :-p
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    We finished up Firefly by watching Serenity. So far I've had a 100% (2/2) record with introducing Firefly to girlfriends who then enjoy it far more than I do.
    I'll be honest - Firefly is kind of a chick show.

/flame on
    In all seriousness though, is that entirely surprising considering that it came from the mind of Joss Whedon?

He is a dyed in the wool feminist and that comes across blatantly in his work.

Post edited by Geo on
  • In all seriousness though, is that entirely surprising considering that it came from the mind of Joss Whedon?

He is a dyed in the wool feminist and that comes across blatantly in his work.

Uhhh, what?

• edited April 2013
    Just because the man has a major horn for strong, well developed female characters(and feet, and quirky "broken bird" characters but that's not relevant) doesn't mean he's a dyed in the wool feminist. It just means he's decent at writing characters - There are women both strong and weak in the show.

Frankly, there are compelling arguments that you can draw from his work that he's both a Feminist or a complete Misogynist, depending on where you want to draw the line. But arguing he's one or the other from segments of his work in isolation is about as useful and convincing as arguing that Michael Davis is a spree killer armed to the teeth and waiting for an opportunity because he wrote and directed Shoot 'em Up, or that Alan Ball and Sam Mendez are pedophiles for writing and directing American Beauty.

Of course, this is laying aside the fact that he's gone from being a Feminist darling to being reviled be Feminists, if the internet is any indication, for reasons varying from actual legitimate arguments to what amounts to "Because I said so, so shut up." Made even more confusing, because both the pro-joss and no-joss-no sides use the exact same things to make their arguments for and against.

He also had some words on the topic -

"I wasn't going to touch the whole feminism debate, but I'm wacky sometimes. All I'll say is this: what I say about myself and my intentions should have nothing to do with your experience of my work. As Hitchcock said, "Trust the tale, not the teller." Some 'feminist' works reinforce stereotypes, some 'exploitive' works provide textured kick-ass female roles. Mostly everyone does both. If you view a piece solely from the perspective of the writer's INTENTION -- or one specific part of that intention -- it's harder to have a true response to how the work makes you feel. In this age of total disclosure (you know EVERYTHING about the shoes now!) that kind of pure watching is hard to come by. PITFALL is a startlingly bold Noir from a feminist viewpoint, but does that make Andre DeToth a feminist director? I don't know, but I do know it was much more exciting finding that movie without any preconception of what the writer or director intended. I have tried to hide in my work, and even bloging on feminist issues felt like a dangerous trap for me because once I take a stand as a public figure, that purity of watching is gone. Let the debate about me rage on: "I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me" -- yes, I just quoted Fall Out Boy -- but that debate should really ignore what I say in these, my morning-cup-of-tea postings. We are only the sum of our actions. Or our art.
    So, in summary: please ignore me/pay attention to me, and judge my work on its own merits unless it has none in which case give me a pass 'cause I said I was a feminist.
    Hmm. I might need stronger tea."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What he said.
  • I think that quote posted by Churba is reason enough to post this here.
    Not about feminism but otherwise same message there.
  • Yeah so, Futurama. I've been watching it on and off for the past six months or so because it was just sort of a whatever mindless background thing I didn't need to pay too much attention to.

But last week I hit season four and it was like, wait, this show is actually really good now. Man, so good.
  • The pilot for Hannibal aired on Thursday, and it's really beautifully shot. I'm pretty optimistic about it.
  • Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren.
  • Breaking Bad is not too shabby.
  • Firefly is the most chick TV show.
  • I'm really digging Psych. Took nearly the entire first season to jive with me, but now I'm hooked.
  • We just bought the first five seasons of The Big Bang Theory so we could watch in order. Love it or hate it, I find it the most enjoyable sitcom ever.
  • I agree Aiyakiu.
  • You all know my opinion on Big Bang Theory, so I don't need to repeat it. ;^)
  • METALOCALPYSE.
  • ADVENTURE TIME! (thanks Netflix!)
    Also
    VEEP
    Mad Men
    Game of Thrones season 3

Soon:
    Deadwood and the Wire.
  • edited April 2013
    A crap-ton of Cartoon Network content just ended up on Netflix. I'll be spending a lot of time in the immediate future watching the few episodes of samurai jack and powerpuff girls that I missed the first time around. Also all of Justice League Unlimited/The Brave and the Bold, because Batman.

I also just started in on Fringe. The pilot looked promising but not spectacular. Can anyone let me know if it's worth watching any more of it?
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • We just bought the first five seasons of The Big Bang Theory so we could watch in order. Love it or hate it, I find it the most enjoyable sitcom ever.
    Its become really weird in the last season, like they are now all charatures of their sterotypes.

• I'm caught up on Archer and Adventure Time, and I've already finished House of Cards.
  • Checked out the first episode of Adventure Time. It was odd how it just started into things with no explanation of people and where there were from. It was very odd at first, but as the episode progressed I can see why people enjoy it.

I realized I didn't need any exposition about the characters. It'll come in due time. The show hasn't hooked me yet, but I'll give it a few more episodes before I make my final decision.
  • The show's quality is a massive upward trajectory; every season is much better than the last. Just keep that in mind.
  • Yeah, Adventure Time feels very abrupt to me, but in a good way. I've seen only a few episodes now as well and so far I really like it. The facial expressions are what get me half the time.
  • Adventure Time really sucked me in once it got to the occasional serious episodes. I liked it the entire way, but became a much bigger fan once "the feels" started to hit.
  • It was just odd at first because they just went into a day of their lives. Then when Finn got the candy people to treat the zombies like pinatas then eat them is when I realized how wonderfully fucked up this show can be.
  • I was hooked the moment those gnomes threaten to kill old ladies if he screamed, and so on ^_^
  • I was hooked the moment those gnomes threaten to kill old ladies if he screamed, and so on ^_^
    Please stop... killing... old ladies!