This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• While you've mentioned her job in vague generalities, I don't think you've specified which shows she's worked on or in what producing capacity. Points for questioning the Wonka, but there's none to be had.

Maybe we need to have you both on ATW9K.
  • Banshee has been the surprise hit for me so far, for the mid-season shows. Yes, it's on Cinamax, but it reminds me of the "Salvation" storyline from Preacher a bit.
  • edited February 2013
    While you've mentioned her job in vague generalities, I don't think you've specified which shows she's worked on or in what producing capacity. Points for questioning the Wonka, but there's none to be had.

Maybe we need to have you both on ATW9K.
    Most of my "this shit is staged" rants come from stories she tells me about other people's shows, or unsigned pilots and development deals she worked on in the past (which she would murder me if I talked about). But she's worked on some interesting stuff. Started out doing a lot of educational shows and specials for Discovery, direct to DVD kids shows, and then did a web series for Barnes & Noble which was entirely her own creation (interview the people who do the art on popular book covers). Her more high profile jobs were doing a season of an Emeril Lagasse-hosted cooking/variety show that nobody watched, a season of Pioneer Woman on Food Network, a season of Jersey Couture (reality TV about a dress shop), and more small food-related shows than I can count.

Her actual job title on most of this stuff is Line Producer, Production Manager, stuff like that. If you split the creative and non-creative tasks down the middle, you'd have a person in charge of each, both reporting directly to the showrunner. She's in charge of all the non-creative, from payroll, budgeting, accounting & taxes, hiring crew members, arranging all travel, and a lot more all rolled into one job. PM is basically the "get shit done" job.

Post edited by Matt on
  • So she is head gopher?
  • No not really. Gopher on a TV production is a PA with a task like "hold this sounds panel" or "go get me coffee." Line producer is a VP-level position in many companies. It's all the shit you can't trust a gopher with.
  • Holy god, House of Cards is very, very good. Like "Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Wire" good.
  • Netflix is trying to become the next HBO before HBO figures out how to be the next Netflix.
  • Netflix is trying to become the next HBO before HBO figures out how to be the next Netflix.
    Yes, the rest of us can read the Internet as well.
  • I am curious to see how "all episodes at once" will work for them.
  • I am curious to see how "all episodes at once" will work for them.
    I also wonder. I like to see someone try something new. I think if I was in charge I would do "each episode as soon as we are done making it." We already know a randomized reward schedule is optimal. People who liked the show would start reloading and checking Netflix constantly waiting for the next one to come out. Sometimes you wouldn't finish one for a few days or weeks. Other times, two would finish at once.
  • That random release scheduled model is actually part of the reason why MSPaint Adventures is so popular. You'll go days without an update, then a week in a row of ten new pages a day at random times. Somebody even wrote an app that causes a popup on your desktop whenever the site update so people could spend less time checking the page and frantically mashing F5.
  • That random release scheduled model is actually part of the reason why MSPaint Adventures is so popular. You'll go days without an update, then a week in a row of ten new pages a day at random times. Somebody even wrote an app that causes a popup on your desktop whenever the site update so people could spend less time checking the page and frantically mashing F5.
    Alternately, using an RSS reader like a civilized person will let you see everything without having to put effort into checking.
  • Getting the show in block format is optimal, I think. Netflix thrives on the "I got nothin' serious to do right now" model of media consumption, and being able to sit down with other people and watch as much as you want at a time is a pretty huge draw.

It's like "waiting for the trades," but with TV shows.
  • Yea it's kinda EXACTLY like that for me, no wonder I love netflix so much :-p
  • I think there's plenty of room for push and pull TV models to coexist. I would never have seen "Let's Go to Prison" had it not been on Comedy Central at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
  • edited February 2013
    One of my friends recommended House of Cards to me but I just have such an issue watching shows with strong continuity that it'll probably take a while to get around to it. This is why I like movies, because I can finish it in one sitting.

EDIT: Especially shows with hour long episode run times.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • For those interested in the economics of House of Cards, and about Netflix creating their own content in general, the Atlantic wire did a pretty good piece on it:

The Economics of Netflix's $100 Million New Show
    Alternately, using an RSS reader like a civilized person will let you see everything without having to put effort into checking.
    The RSS feed has a delay for some reason. Also the app is pretty hilarious.
  • edited February 2013
    Girls is really funny, the Hannah/Adam thing seems really relevant to my life, and so does the whole Shoshanna thing (insecure virgin friend). Feels like it was ripped from the headlines, where the headlines are my text messages.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Really would like to squeeze House of Cards in sometime soon. Just gotta finish up the games I'm playing to make time for TV season, because oh man it's coming. Community and Walking Dead, then Mad Men and Game of Thrones.
  • And Breaking Bad.
  • And Breaking Bad.
    My plan is to watch Breaking Bad when Mad Men is completely done. I think it's got like 1 more season after this? s
  • Breaking Bad has like eight more episodes or something.
  • Yeah...HoC is kinda amazing.
  • Yeah...HoC is kinda amazing.
    It's what I've been needing in a political show that I didn't know I needed.

Kevin Spacey is just spot on. I just watched the first episode. I love how it breaks the 4th wall. I like the relationship with his wife as well. The scene with Kevin Spacey and the congressman from PA and when Kevin Spacey put on his serious face was great.
  • Four episodes in and Kevin Spacey is killing it. The other plots are interesting but his main storyline is top notch.

Wait for the one brief moment of product placement though. You'll know it when you see it. I almost choked.
  • edited February 2013
    Todd and the Book of Pure Evil is like a Canadian Doctor Who, but metal themed and extremely goofy. Both seasons are on Netflix and it's hilarious, albeit very crass.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Watched all of the eps of HoC this weekend, the show is just so god damn good. I would say it's as good as Breaking Bad and would be better than it if there wasn't as much sex.
  • edited February 2013
    I watched one episode and it didn't really catch my interest. I've heard it picks up full speed around episode 3 but I'm not super interested in a politically themed drama to begin with.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited February 2013
    I actually got the opposite impression. The first two episodes tell a pretty awesome story arc that establishes the characters and the tone of the show, but then it takes a bit of a breather in episode 3 for character development and setting up the next arc (which is great).
    Post edited by Matt on