This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Well, let's be fair - that sounds like a damn good way to run a restaurant.
    The only thing I don't care for with Ramsay's philosophy of running a restaurant is that he believes you should only do one type of cuisine. Many places can do many fusions or offer many varieties within a small menu. (And he is very keen about that)

I should ask, has anyone watched Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course? It's very recent and I caught it on BBCAmerica for a few random weeks, but it's really interesting to see him doing a real, sit down-and-learn cooking show.
  • edited June 2013
    It should be noted that the seasonality of foods varies a lot by region. Here in CA cherries and tomatoes have already been going for more than a month, and lettuce has been done since the end of April.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I should ask, has anyone watched Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course? It's very recent and I caught it on BBCAmerica for a few random weeks, but it's really interesting to see him doing a real, sit down-and-learn cooking show.
    Yes, there are some quite good recipes and instructions. I think most, if not all, of the episodes are on YouTube.

I do have to say though, while Ramsay is nice, I much prefer his mentor, Marco Pierre White. The dude is the godfather of the cooking scene.

He also has a fantastic recipe series on online

• I guess I'm watching that shit.
  • Completely disagree with the winner.
    Completely agree with you. Second place was my first place choice as soon as they appeared in their first episode.
  • Yep. I was totally rooting for them too since the beginning. Everything they made looked great. It was a good show overall. Too bad there aren't any more.
  • Underbelly is more of the same in Badness. This is a good thing.
  • edited July 2013
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the following clip perfectly sums up the Civil War and it's prelude and aftermath:

(I couldn't find a clip of the gag isolated, but it's the "succeeding at what" bit)

I have a lot of problems with their portrayal of the war (why is Gen. Grant afraid of the size of Lee's army? Why can't Grant hold his liquor? Why are there Indians so far East?) but at the end of the day it is genuinely funny, perhaps more so than the other parts of the show.

EDIT: Why isn't the video working? Did I screw up the thing that sets the time?
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited July 2013
    The thing that sets the time doesn't work in the embed.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • *sigh*

• I'm curious (and skeptical) about the new Jenji Kohan "Orange is the new Black". I'm expecting it to be a missing season of Weeds. I shall probably watch it, but am concerned it may be racist in the white-centric, minority as accessory/tool kind of way.
  • Seriously Skins, what the fuck was that?
    Par for the course.
    I tried watching that when recovering from Freaks and Geeks, but was disgusted by it. Couldn't finish the first episode. when the protag was all like "fuck bitches, pop pills" in casual small talk, I had to turn it off.
    I tried watching that when recovering from Freaks and Geeks, but was disgusted by it. Couldn't finish the first episode. when the protag was all like "fuck bitches, pop pills" in casual small talk, I had to turn it off.
    You might like SliDE. One season, pretty well done. Also, UK Skins, or American Skins?
  • edited July 2013
    What American Skins? The producers all died of explosive diarrhea before they could make it; the same mysterious fate that befell the people who were gonna make a US Top Gear. What season of Skins is the better question.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Don't do that, it's overplayed and annoying.
  • Oh, fine. I'm just disappointed they weren't as good as the originals. SliDE does sound good though, so thanks for that.
  • They really weren't. SLiDE is pretty good, I think, but it was also canceled after a season, so that that how you will. We generally do pretty good for drama, but it doesn't resonate with everyone.
  • Poppycock! What I've seen (read: Underworld) has been great, most of it's just a bit harder to find than US or UK stuff.
  • Underbelly is pretty great, yeah. We've got a lot of good drama, but I'm not the best judge of quality - not because of bias, but because it's local to me, and a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be said for the local audience leaves foreign audiences scratching their heads through no fault of their own.
  • The first season of uk skins is the only one worth watch. The rest are meh.
  • Watching 'Orange Is The New Black' from Jenji Kohan, the creator of weeds. Pretty funny and interesting if you're into Black Comedy.
  • The first season of uk skins is the only one worth watch. The rest are meh.
    Eh I wouldn't say that. You can probably skip 5 and 6 but its still decent.

• Watching 'Orange Is The New Black' from Jenji Kohan, the creator of weeds. Pretty funny and interesting if you're into Black Comedy.
    I dunno looks more like WHITE comedy to me...
  • edited July 2013
    I've been watching Continuum, and it's generally alright (though I'm siding with the "terrorists" more and more). One thing I really did like is that in the last episode, there was an interesting twist on the "going back in time and killing Hitler" idea that was sort of touched on. Basically, how do you explain to someone from Hitler's time why you need to kill him, especially if he's just a kid when you have the opportunity? It wasn't fully explored, but I did like that the characters actually brought up the "killing Hitler" idea and that the main character got different reactions from other characters when she tried to convince them that it was the right thing to do.

EDIT: As for UK Skins, I watched the first season and didn't like it. There was far too little comeuppance for the characters, so it ended up being just a show about watching terrible people be terrible.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Oh, there do be comeuppance.
  • He gets hit by the bus, but he lives! At least in the first episode or two of Season 2, nothing really bad happens to any of the characters. They (main creepy dude included) just keep being little shits to each other.
  • Adam Scott as John Wilkes Booth on Drunk History.
  • The Newsroom season 2.