This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• $0 so yes I think I'll still beat you.
  • Not convinced really, even when you go into the high performance cars, you get at least a V6, even on the Japanese ones. You need a bigger engine, a turbo and other mods will only get you so far, put the same mods on a V8 and there is just no comparison.
  • edited February 2013
    My non-expert knowledge on them was that their primary drawbacks were short lifespans and expensive maintenance (and possibly upper limits on their power curve).
    They're also low efficiency, they burn oil by design, that expensive maintenance is also a huge pain in the arse in ways that are barely comprehensible till you've been elbow deep in one(seriously, they're comparable to old Jags), lower power than comparable displacement piston engines. I don't recall an upper limit on the power curve being a problem, though, and I don't think that's inherent in the design of rotary engines overall, rather than any particular rotary engine.

They're not the worst engines around, and they certainly have their applications - but they're not a great engine for most people, especially your regular driver.
    I don't know why you guys like V8 so much. It tastes like cold tomato soup.
    This man speaks the truth.
    $0 so yes I think I'll still beat you.
    I can see why you might think that.
    Have you ever driven a muscle car? or anything with at least 6 cylinders, and just cruised down the empty road? it's not something for the city dweller though.
    Hell yes. Or just been in an empty lot, and really kicked it in the guts?

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2013
    If you want to drop a V8 in a crappy car, it's all good. Just not in place of a rotary. Maybe try putting it in a rusty MR2 instead.
    You've watched too much initial D, rotary engines are crap. If it was a good design with as many advantages as it's fan say it has, then everyone would use them.
    My non-expert knowledge on them was that their primary drawbacks were short lifespans and expensive maintenance (and possibly upper limits on their power curve).
    Their power per pound of fuel burned is quite terrible too. So they're fragile, don't make much torque and burn a lot of fuel to make the torque they do. They're advantages are they're compact and light weight, and rev without much trouble. The widespread use of aluminum blocks have negated the weight advantage they used to have, and revs aren't as critical when you have lots of displacement. So really there's no reason for the rotary to exist anymore. It was a cool idea back in the 60s, but it is pretty much a failure at this point because they suck at fuel atomization.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I disagree, they do have applications - but simply not very good as an engine for your average car.
  • I disagree, I think they're poop.
  • edited February 2013
    I disagree, I think they're poop.
    You're simply wrong. They're ideal for Aircraft, backup engines(especially in electric vehicles, where the high RPM can directly power a dynamo), generator and APUs, compressors, marine engines for small craft, just for a few examples. Applications where the qualities are ideal, and the downsides are either outweighed, mitigated, or simply not a large enough problem to create an issue.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, they sound cool.
  • I don't know why you guys like V8 so much. It tastes like cold tomato soup.
    Holy shit! that pun just flew way over my head.

• RymRym
    edited February 2013
    So basically, you guys are saying that rotary engines are GREAT...

...if you own another car for normal driving, have unlimited time and/or money, and are only taking it to the track for races that don't involve fuel management.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So basically, you guys are saying that rotary engines are GREAT...

...if you own another car for normal driving, have unlimited time and/or money, and are only taking it to the track for races that don't involve fuel management.
    No, the only reason to buy one is because you love it. Same reason to buy a fiat or alfa romeo.

• edited February 2013
    So basically, you guys are saying that rotary engines are GREAT...

That, or if you want to build a light prop plane with a nose-mount engine. Or you want a small engine with high revs to charge some batteries. Y'know, shit like that.

It's like many other bits of hardware - It's all about the application. Now, Omar is right - you might buy one because you love it, and if you wanna buy one because you love it, that's cool by me. But that's what the whole game is about. You can drive to A to B because you gotta, or you can drive because you love it. You can take your car to a mechanic because you gotta, or you can wrench on it yourself because you love it. Why do you think Omar and I drive old, clapped out(sorry bro, we both know it's true) vehicles that we have to wrench on more than if we'd bought newer ones? Or why George keeps buying Miatas for no other good reason? Or why Victor pines for his old Oldsmobile? The love of the thing, that's why.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah, I mean, there's a reason why that scene where Takumi washes the 86 is so emotional. That little panda Trueno wasn't just a car to him any more.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • A mini with a Hayabusa motorbike engine, because fuck it why not.

• That sounds fantastic.

This looks stupid:
  • In my wondering round town last night I came upon a great guy driving a Volvo estate with a massive turbo and nos injection. This car looked like shit. His sole reason for owning it was to rince boy racers.
  • In my wondering round town last night I came upon a great guy driving a Volvo estate with a massive turbo and nos injection. This car looked like shit. His sole reason for owning it was to rince boy racers.
    Ah, the good old sleeper car. Looks like shit, goes like a shower of shit. I like them, personally.

Ah, the good old sleeper car. Looks like shit, goes like a shower of shit. I like them, personally.

My dad used to drive a clapped out mini for that reason. He'd stuck a V8 in there for kicks.
  • This shit almost made me cry
  • Girl totally gets it.

06:15 "It doesn't matter that I'm a girl doing this, I mean I'm able to do it just as well as any other person."
  • This is exactly the sort of thing I mean when I say it's about the Love of it. It doesn't matter who you are, because we're all equal with a wrench in our hand. What matters is if you love it.
  • Where can I get a turbo kit for my Celica?
  • edited February 2013
    Where can I get a turbo kit for my Celica?
    Assuming it's a Celica from the last twenty years or so, pretty much anywhere. You're going to have to be a little more specific - what year model, what price range, and roughly what area?

Just out of interest, what do you want a turbo for?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2013
    Where can I get a turbo kit for my Celica?
    Assuming it's a Celica from the last twenty years or so, pretty much anywhere. You're going to have to be a little more specific - what year model, what price range, and roughly what area?

Just out of interest, what do you want a turbo for?
    03 Celica, J model if that matters, Norther Kentucky/Southern Indiana area, hopefully not more than $500.

And now that I've fixed the major issue (not going over 3k RPM) I want to get some better performance out of the old girl.

edit: Which now looking on the internet, probably not happening at the price range I want.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • This is exactly the sort of thing I mean when I say it's about the Love of it. It doesn't matter who you are, because we're all equal with a wrench in our hand. What matters is if you love it.
    Truth.
  • 03 Celica, J model if that matters, Norther Kentucky/Southern Indiana area, hopefully not more than $500.
    $500 won't cover the cost of a turbocharger, let alone a kit. :P
  • edited February 2013
    you can probably get a stage 1 turbo (the blower itself) and maybe MAAAAAAYBE the manifold (both used). You'd be missing the intercooler, pipes, block reinforcements, ecu, injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump, air filter and clutch.

You can probably get a bolt-on kit (blower, manifolds and pipes) for like 1K.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edit: Which now looking on the internet, probably not happening at the price range I want.
    Well, the good news is that yeah, you can get a bolt-on turbo kit for your car pretty much bloody anywhere. Bad news is, you're right - You'd have to have some godly luck and a lot of slick moves to get a turbo kit for 500 bucks.

• you can probably get a stage 1 turbo (the blower itself) and maybe MAAAAAAYBE the manifold (both used). You'd be missing the intercooler, pipes, block reinforcements, ecu, injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump, air filter and clutch.

You can probably get a bolt-on kit (blower, manifolds and pipes) for like 1K.
    The biggest problem he's gonna have is this Celica is too new. One generation older Celica came with the stout S series engine, which was very strong and easily boosted. His Celica has a ZZ series which is considerably more fragile and I really wouldn't fuck with it if I was him.