This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    On a chevy with a 305? How is that even a choice? Supercharger ALLLLL THE WAAAAAY!!!!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Probably never gonna happen. We want this car for road trips, so top priorities are low/mid range torque and fuel economy. It's probably gonna get a Tuned Port Injection swap and mild performance cam. The best average fuel economy has been 17.5, so I probably need to do a tune up before weddings next month.
  • We're live on Friday Night Party Line! Tune in to catch our pre-show banter and warm up! This episode, we'll be talking about cars and car culture! Watch it on Google+ to ask questions live, get links to the things we talk about as we're talking about them, and give us feedback during the show!

Link!
  • edited October 2014
    Not a car, but car-like fun.

They're making one for adults soon.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • So the car has developed a torque converter shudder. At best it needs a fluid change, and at worst it needs a torque converter. As for other things, I'm thinking about dumping the computer carb for a regular one and playing with that for a while. It's a lot less money to just stick another carb on it. Got a book on rebuilding Quadrajet carbs so I'm looking for a good core to rebuild.
  • Found a set of 305 Vortec heads on craigslist for cheap. Should be a great swap for my 305 if the guy doesn't flake and stop responding to emails.
  • So, your torque converter has problems, your carb is shot (why oh why have an electronic carb?) and you thought the right decision was to buy new heads that would require a proper functioning carb and a decent torque converter to put the new found power on the wheels? I honestly find no flaws on your way of thinking.
  • Yeah, can't say I wouldn't do the same.
  • MORE POWER... IN THE FUTURE.
  • MORE POWER... IN THE FUTURE.

Yeah, this is just an awesome deal I can't pass up. First order is a trans fluid change, then tuning the carb in. Honestly it runs pretty good, just has a bog that comes and go.
  • Thought about an overdrive for it? Should up your mileage somewhat, and let you cruise the highways ticking over a bit slower.
  • Trans already has overdrive and a stupidly tall final drive. The only place to go with the gears is shorter, not taller.
  • Here's a Suzuki Mighty Boy Kei ute with a V8 shoved in it doing a burnout.

• I actually got the set of heads for $100, they don't appear to be cracked or anything. This was such a killer deal!
  • NOPE NOPE NOPE. NOT watching. The race is on my DVR and I've managed to avoid spoilers all day. In fact I'm going to go watch it right now.
  • What. It's not a spoiler. It has no effect on anything, it's just a silly mistake.
  • One of the commentary team on Sky sports said he had done the same thing before. "My crew wore white, the other pit crew wore white..."
  • One of the commentary team on Sky sports said he had done the same thing before. "My crew wore white, the other pit crew wore white..."

It's not an uncommon mistake. I recall there was at least a few last year, including one driver who had just switched teams, and drove into the wrong pit stand by habit.

• I think that happened once this year too. And Hamilton did it after he switched from McLaren to Mercedes.
  • And to break it up a little, here's an utterly nutso trials/steeplechase.

• Wish I had enough money for tires.
  • Oh yeah, and I don't think I posted this yet.

• edited November 2014
    Churba said:
    This site is indeed great.
    Churba said:

Oh yeah, and I don't think I posted this yet.

That was on Victor's Thing of the Day.
    Yay for slow motion, boobs, BJs and dogs ;^)

Post edited by sK0pe on
  • So while my hot rodding plans are officially on hold until the spring because house, I'm still scheming about how I want to mod the car. The problem I'm currently having is trying to figure out how much lift I can run with the heads I have. Well more specifically, how much of a cam I can run without getting piston-to-valve interference. It seems that 305 engines of my vintage came stock with dished pistons that have no valve reliefs cut in them. I'd really hate to order a cam only to find there's no way in hell it'll work with the setup I have.
  • Nevermind, I solved this problem with fucking trigonometry like a proper nerd. ^_^
  • edited November 2014
    Kenny needed some more pocket money, which is good news for us, because it means Gymkhana 7, featuring the Hoonicorn, a custom-built, tube-frame, all-wheel-drive, 845-hp "1965 Mustang".

Post edited by Churba on