This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• For several weeks, I was driving another family member's car as a result of a car accident. The car was a BMW, 350bhp RWD. Amazing machine; 0-60 in less than five and can reach 80mph in third gear. Moves so fast you won't know you're edging 100 until you clip past a parked cop car and feel your adrenaline dump.
    That reminds me of my first ticket. Sweet fear and adrenaline tinged Nostalgia.
  • edited July 2010
    I need to see them both in person. Copper red sounds cool, but it's probably the same bland Mazda copper red I see everywhere.
    Copper Red is the color of the car I just sold. You hardly see it anywhere. It was a special limited color when I got it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    Copper Red is the color of the car I just sold.
    If I wanted red, I'd get the copper red. The "true red" is way too look-at-me!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • That's the way the cops see it, don't they Pete. ~_^
    No, their laser pretty much tells them when I'm going too fucking fast. Now, they might happen to point the laser at me because my car is red, but that doesn't change the fact that I was going a bit too fast.
  • I call that the "ooooo, I'll have that one" affect.
  • I call that the "ooooo, I'll have that one" affect.
    Yeah, I'm pretty vulnerable to that one. I'm surprised that I don't actually own one of those incredibly pretty single-tier brewing sculptures.
  • Plymouth Laser

Thoughts?
    It's a modded car, there's probably a reason it's only $1100. I'd avoid. I know Rym liked his, but those old mitsus aren't very reliable and unless you like working on your car it's probably not the best choice.
  • Plymouth Laser

Thoughts?
    It's a modded car, there's probably a reason it's only $1100. I'd avoid. I know Rym liked his, but those old mitsus aren't very reliable and unless you like working on your car it's probably not the best choice.
    Hm, you're right. So, George, got a suggestion for a new car for my sister and I? I was thinking maybe a 2005 Honda Civic Type R. Vroom Vroom baby.
  • edited July 2010
    Plymouth Laser

Thoughts?
    It's ugly as sin. I could shoot a box of 12 gauge through it, and it would only improve it's looks. And like George said, probably a reason it's only just over a grand with all that work done to it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hm, you're right. So, George, got a suggestion for a new car for my sister and I? I was thinking maybe a 2005 Honda Civic Type R. Vroom Vroom baby.
    What's your budget and what do you want out of the car? Also, how mechanically inclined are you? Can you get your hands dirty? Do you want to get your hands dirty?
  • Hm, you're right. So, George, got a suggestion for a new car for my sister and I? I was thinking maybe a 2005 Honda Civic Type R. Vroom Vroom baby.
    What's your budget and what do you want out of the car? Also, how mechanically inclined are you? Can you get your hands dirty? Do you want to get your hands dirty?
    Budget: Lease with Down Pay of $2000 max

What I want out of the car: Fun to drive, quick steering and throttle response, doesn't need a insane top speed, hatchback with folding rear seats or trunk with decent capacity, 2 door preferred, 120+BHP, 4 Cylinder is okay but 6 is preferred.

Mechanical Inclination: At the moment, not very high, but I'm a quick learner and can use diagnostic skills to figure out how things should be. Also, I'm not afraid to read the manual.

Can I get my hands dirty: Yes, unless what ever I need to do requires a lift.

Do I want to get my hands dirty: Yes, but with the understanding that I would not do anything too drastic (ie. tear apart the engine)
  • edited July 2010
    Budget: Lease with Down Pay of $2000 max
    A lease or a loan? And how much of a monthly payment can you handle? Be realistic and don't forget to factor in fuel and insurance.
    What I want out of the car: Fun to drive, quick steering and throttle response, doesn't need a insane top speed, hatchback with folding rear seats or trunk with decent capacity, 2 door preferred, 120+BHP, 4 Cylinder is okay but 6 is preferred.
    I actually just today drove a coworkers Scion xA. It's only 100 hp or so, but it wasn't bad. I'd only get such an underpowered car in stick shift. 1.5L engine, insurance would be cheap and so would gasoline expenses. They don't make the xA anymore, but a new Toyota Yaris would be basically the same thing. So you said a Civic Type R, we don't have those in america, only the Si. Still a good car.

Also I think a japanese car is good for you current level of mechanical skill, you can learn things by doing basic maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, etc) but it won't need major items very often if at all.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Mechanical Inclination: At the moment, not very high, but I'm a quick learner and can use diagnostic skills to figure out how things should be. Also, I'm not afraid to read the manual.

Can I get my hands dirty: Yes, unless what ever I need to do requires a lift.

Do I want to get my hands dirty: Yes, but with the understanding that I would not do anything too drastic (ie. tear apart the engine)
    Add to this that when I'm over there, I'll teach him some more and help him out with that.
  • Cool cars dudes. I'm also a car enthusiast. Since I'm from Brazil you guys are going to have a hard time relating to the cars I owned, but I'll post it anyway. My first car was a 4 door Fiat Uno Mille (1 litter engine) a piece of crap. So I decided getting a descent car for tuning for my next car and got a Gol Tsi. It had all the optionals and a 1.8 litter engine which is pretty good for a less then 1 ton car. I didn't have a lot of money to tinker with it, but I did what I could as far as exhaust and intake. My TsI:
    My dad borrowed it from me and crashed it, so after it got fixed I couldn't bare to use it anymore so I sold it.
    Then I got a car from my mom, another Uno, but this time I wasn't going to have it slouching on me, so I turbo charged it, put a bigger intake, augmented the fuel injector as well as got an extra fuel injector for extra fuel on high boost. I had loads of fun, it was a 700kg car with 120+ hp, it doesn't sound like much, but power to weight ratio is all that matters when it comes to acceleration, and believe me it was enough to have fun. Here is a YouTube video of it, I have posted before, but I'll post it again anyway. Don't bother me about legal issues please, this is not about that. Also, I turbo charged this with 1 mechanic that was a good friend for next to nothing, I had no moneys, I bought the kit from a friends dad and payed for it in 4 monthly instalments.

If you listen closely you can hear the blow off valve from the distance. There are a couple more videos of it on my YouTube page, nothing well edited though.
    Right now I own a new VW Gol (not golf), here is a generic picture of the car. I don't really care about this car, it's just a means of transportation right now, I will get a better car when it's convenient since I make good money.
    Just making it clear that this is not my car, my car is exactly like that but black and iron wheels (factory).
  • edited July 2010
    The names are unfamiliar, but the shapes and engines seem the same. And aside from that - welcome to the (Mani)fold. We're used to unusual cars being bandied about, since I'm Australian, and George is American.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Soft, don't want the weight of the hard top and the power mechanism.
    I'll be talking out of my ass here because in the car you are talking about there could be an exception. But usually the hard tops are lighter then the convertibles in general, because the convertible car needs a reinforced chassis (or mono-block) because it has no column to keep the car from twisting. have you checked the actual numbers for the car you want?
  • edited July 2010
    Churba that Layland Mini Clubman 1275 GT looks awesome. I love small cars with tuned engines. My Uno was faster then an 180 hp Audi a3, and it was just as fast as a 140 hp new Honda civic. But it being really small it felt like you where going faster and it was just fun burning does tires. Sorry for the double post, but it's unrelated to the later.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Churba that Layland Mini Clubman 1275 GT looks awesome. I love small cars with tuned engines. My Uno was faster then an 180 hp Audi a3, and it was just as fast as a 140 hp new Honda civic. But it being really small it felt like you where going faster and it was just fun burning does tires. Sorry for the double post, but it's unrelated to the later.
    Thank you, I put a lot of love and work into that car. But Hot damn, you didn't half feel like you were going really, really fast.
  • I'll be talking out of my ass here because in the car you are talking about there could be an exception. But usually the hard tops are lighter then the convertibles in general, because the convertible car needs a reinforced chassis (or mono-block) because it has no column to keep the car from twisting. have you checked the actual numbers for the car you want?
    You are actually correct, but you didn't understand the context of the conversation. A normal car with a fixed roof will typically be lighter than the same car with it's roof chopped off because they have to add supports to maintain the rigidity of the car. However, in this context, Rym and I are discussing the Miata, which is a topless car to start and we were comparing the soft top versus the power retractable folding hard top. Big sheets of metal weigh more than cloth.
  • I actually just today drove a coworkers Scion xA. It's only 100 hp or so, but it wasn't bad. I'd only get such an underpowered car in stick shift. 1.5L engine, insurance would be cheap and so would gasoline expenses. They don't make the xA anymore, but a new Toyota Yaris would be basically the same thing. So you said a Civic Type R, we don't have those in america, only the Si. Still a good car.
    Well, Neither my sister nor myself have driven a stick yet. I "know" how to drive one, but I've never actually driven one. Would it be wise to learn on a new car? In other words, would the gearbox be able to take the early on abuse?
  • Well, Neither my sister nor myself have driven a stick yet. I "know" how to drive one, but I've never actually driven one. Would it be wise to learn on a new car? In other words, would the gearbox be able to take the early on abuse?
    Well really you need someone to teach you and let you get a bit of practice in before you buy a car.
  • Well really you need someone to teach you and let you get a bit of practice in before you buy a car.
    If he hasn't learned by the time I get there, I'll teach him that, too.
  • edited July 2010
    However, in this context, Rym and I are discussing the Miata, which is a topless car to start and we were comparing the soft top versus the power retractable folding hard top. Big sheets of metal weigh more than cloth.
    Oh yeah! It didn't come to mind that the Miata didn't have a coupe version.
    Well, Neither my sister nor myself have driven a stick yet. I "know" how to drive one, but I've never actually driven one. Would it be wise to learn on a new car? In other words, would the gearbox be able to take the early on abuse?
    Dude this is usually not an issue. You'll be driving a stick perfectly in a couple of hours. I never had a car with auto transmission.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • So George is being an ass and coaxing my inner car enthusiast out. Figure I'll join in. I've always liked engined vehicles that make a big fuss about whatever it is they're doing - big bikes, fast cars, etc. I've found, driving my Fit, that I like cars that make me feel like I'm driving, as opposed to riding. Nuri's Camry is a very passive car; even when I'm driving, I feel like a passenger. The Fit, meanwhile, feels like an advanced go-kart; I get all the fun of actually driving this quick, tiny car around, while it makes a big fuss about doing that.

So I'm throwing my lot in with the "little car" guys. They're fun, and why drive if it's not fun?
  • So George is being an ass and coaxing my inner car enthusiast out. Figure I'll join in. I've always liked engined vehicles that make a big fuss about whatever it is they're doing - big bikes, fast cars, etc. I've found, driving my Fit, that I like cars that make me feel like I'mdriving, as opposed to riding. Nuri's Camry is a very passive car; even when I'm driving, I feel like a passenger. The Fit, meanwhile, feels like an advanced go-kart; I get all the fun of actually driving this quick, tiny car around, while it makes a big fuss about doing that.
    I gotta agree - If I'm driving a car, I want it to be fun to drive, and it to feel like I'm driving, rather than just moving about in a car. I don't like big, mushy cars, I like cars where you feel it in your hands and feet and arse on the seat.
  • Well, Neither my sister nor myself have driven a stick yet. I "know" how to drive one, but I've never actually driven one. Would it be wise to learn on a new car? In other words, would the gearbox be able to take the early on abuse?
    Well really you need someone to teach you and let you get a bit of practice in before you buy a car.
    If he hasn't learned by the time I get there, I'll teach him that, too.
    Well, I practice some of the fundamentals with my automatic transmission as much as I can: listening to the engine and changing gear, rev matching when shifting down, and rev matching when shifting from neutral to a gear (I shift to neutral on downhills to save gas). I've been trying to find a rental place that still has manual transmission cars, but they are far and few that aren't exotic car rental places.
  • edited July 2010
    So George is being an ass and coaxing my inner car enthusiast out. Figure I'll join in. I've always liked engined vehicles that make a big fuss about whatever it is they're doing - big bikes, fast cars, etc. I've found, driving my Fit, that I like cars that make me feel like I'mdriving, as opposed to riding. Nuri's Camry is a very passive car; even when I'm driving, I feel like a passenger. The Fit, meanwhile, feels like an advanced go-kart; I get all the fun of actually driving this quick, tiny car around, while it makes a big fuss about doing that.
    I gotta agree - If I'm driving a car, I want it to be fun to drive, and it to feel like I'm driving, rather than just moving about in a car. I don't like big, mushy cars, I like cars where you feel it in your hands and feet and arse on the seat.
    Oh, definitely. Even my Olds, heavy as it was with it's all metal body, was very "hands-on" in terms of the driving experience. You felt that big engine through the steering wheel when you accelerated and the weight of the car through corners, but no matter how much I pushed it, it never failed to perform. It went sideways once in a while, but it was always under control.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Well, I practice some of the fundamentals with my automatic transmission as much as I can: listening to the engine and changing gear, rev matching when shifting down, and rev matching when shifting from neutral to a gear (I shift to neutral on downhills to save gas). I've been trying to find a rental place that still has manual transmission cars, but they are far and few that aren't exotic car rental places.
    You know that's not even necessary right? That is just fine tuning of your driving skills when you feel like it. You can down shift and shift from neutral at anytime as long as you are in a reasonable rpm scope. Come to Brazil 90% of the cars here are stick shift! lol
  • Well, I practice some of the fundamentals with my automatic transmission as much as I can: listening to the engine and changing gear, rev matching when shifting down, and rev matching when shifting from neutral to a gear (I shift to neutral on downhills to save gas). I've been trying to find a rental place that still has manual transmission cars, but they are far and few that aren't exotic car rental places.
    You know that's not even necessary right? That is just fine tuning of your driving skills when you feel like it. You can down shift and shift from neutral at anytime as long as you are in a reasonable rpm scope. Come to Brazil 90% of the cars here are stick shift! lol
    Yeah, but I don't like "engine braking" when I can just keep it at the same speed.