This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

edited July 2010 in Forum Stuff
So Vanilla 2 is out. Fully out. Not beta, it's for real. You can see an example of it on http://dorf.frontrowcrew.com/forum/ I'm not going to upgrade this forum right away, yet. But eventually. If anyone has any legitimate reasons as to why I should not do so other than "I hate change" this is your chance.

Comments

• This may sound kinda stupid, but you're going to import all the old posts into the new forums, right?
  • edited July 2010
    Any forum system worth it's salt will allow a seamless in-place upgrade.

Here's my question, will this theme still be useable? The theme in your demo is not every easy on the eyes.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2010
    Any forum system worth it's salt will allow a seamless in-place upgrade.
    It's fairly seamless (I'm updating my forum now), I just felt compelled to ask.

EDIT: Oooohhhh, Vanilla 2 comes with the Gravatar plugin by default....

EDIT2: FAIL. One of my discussions seems to have something weird about it, preventing me from upgrading.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Personally, I think you should upgrade as soon as possible.
  • Is there a need to upgrade other than the "oooh, shiny" factor?
  • Is there a need to upgrade other than the "oooh, shiny" factor?
    They're going to stop supporting Vanilla 1.x soon, in all likelyhood, so if there's a security hole it won't get fixed.
  • "I hate change"
  • Here's my question, will this theme still be useable? The theme in your demo is not every easy on the eyes.
    Go to the Vanilla web site and see if any of the themes there catch your fancy. Warning, though, I won't install a theme that isn't slick and professional. If it's all shlocky and Myspacy, forget it.
    They're going to stop supporting Vanilla 1.x soon, in all likelyhood, so if there's a security hole it won't get fixed.
    This.
  • Having gotten Vanilla 2 set up on my own site, I have to say... Love it. One feature that's going to really be helpful here with the way people post is the gmail-like autosaved drafts of posts.

Also, what colors make up the themes that you would consider good? I tend to like darker, white-on-black themes rather than black-on-white.

Although I really like the default theme for 2.0.
  • I can't think of any convincing reason not to upgrade, as long as you're confident you have all your ducks in a row.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not that fussed. New ones seems much like the old one, just add the tag buttons back in and that should be enough.
    "I hate change"
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Here's my question, will this theme still be useable? The theme in your demo is not every easy on the eyes.
    What problem are you having with the theme on the DORF forum? If you were looking at it in a dark room, then everything non-black is going to be hard on the eyes.
    What problem are you having with the theme on the DORF forum? If you were looking at it in a dark room, then everything non-black is going to be hard on the eyes.
    I don't make a habit of using a computer in a dark room. Eye strain and all that. No, even in a well lit room, the blues have too sharp a contrast against the white. I might just be me, but I don't like it.

Is it possible just to keep using this theme on the new system?
  • Is it possible just to keep using this theme on the new system?
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes/recent/2
  • Minimalist seems ok, I guess.
  • the blues have too sharp a contrast against the white. I might just be me, but I don't like it.
    Those are some pretty damned soft blues you know. The top bar's the 'worst' of what you claim. So let's agree that your taste just sucks arse.
  • Change is god.
    Though I'm not too fond of the DORF forums colors, I'm far too lazy to care.
  • edited July 2010
    After spending time on DORF, I'm 100% for the upgrade.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Is is possible for the search function to let you search for certain things in just an individual thread instead of by the categories? That would be nice.
  • Love the new enhancements to the "Preview Post" function.

• IT'S HAPPENING FOR REALS.

THIS WEEKEND.

HALLOWEEN.

GEEKNIGHTS ANNIVERSARY.

VANILLA 2.

IS YOUR BODY READY?

• I don't like Vanilla 2, but probably gonna be outvoted on this one.
  • The Drafts feature alone makes me like it.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't like Vanilla 2, but probably gonna be outvoted on this one.

Also, whether you like it or not, it is necessary. Vanilla 1 no longer gets updated. Vanilla 2 is necessary so we get security updates, bug fixes, and general modern best practices of computing and webness.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Spoiler tag hidy thingies! Yes!
  • Also, so people are aware, the major change in Vanilla 2 is that you no longer have to do funky YouTube tags. You just paste a YouTube link without any tags or extra bits like so.

I'm currently writing a script to go and update every post ever accordingly.

Also, polls, not sure if they will survive. Investigating. Everything else should be fine.
  • When I last checked Van2 there was shit for quote plug-ins. Have you been able to test any of the ones that are out right now to see if they're not shit?
  • edited October 2011
    My main complaint is that it completely does away with Whispers or PMs of any type. There's also no quoting. I understand the necessity to update based on security, but I do think it's really going to change the dynamic of our discussions to not be able to quote certain points and reply to them in the way that we're used to.

[Edit] Ninja'd.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My main complaint is that it completely does away with Whispers or PMs of any type
    I'm not sure this is true. Also, use e-mail or whatever. Forums are for public discussion. For private discussion, use something else.

Also, there is a quoting plugin. Your pyramids are secure.