This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• Also loving the mobile view and the fact that you can start writing something on your phone and the draft carries back to your computer.

Could probably do with smaller icons in the mobile discussion index, but that's pretty minor.
  • It's 15 minutes now.
  • edited October 2011
    5 minutes is too short! Make it 10. What happens if you start editing at 4 min 50 sec. Can you still post even if it takes more than 10 seconds to type all your edit?
    Why is 5 minutes too short?
    Because, often when writing a long post - the kind of post you'd most often find you've made a mistake in, I'll do other things while slowly reading through the comment. It's not that hard to spend 5 min reading a long post multiple times while you're chatting with someone elsewhere. As for for shorter posts; I often write something. Check the rest of the forum, then when someone replies to me 5 min later, I re-read my own post and find a typo in it. Or that I misunderstood something.

While I don't think this can be achieved easily; The best implementation would be to let people edit their comment for an hour or so, as long as no one else commented afterwards. If someone did, he gets another 5 min. No deleting.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • The best implementation...
    would be to have a revision editor. The part where it says edited would be a dropdown with all of the versions. This, of course, is far beyond reasonable to ask of Scott. I would say that I might look into it, but I'd be a major shit-talker.
  • This updated layout is so much prettier. =u=
  • I just now noticed that it doesn't show edited posts as altered. I'm not sure if that's a bug, or if it's intentional under the new system.

• I just now noticed that it doesn't show edited posts as altered. I'm not sure if that's a bug, or if it's intentional under the new system.

I guess that's intentional by the Vanilla people. If you want to trap someone editing their comment, then screenshot them.
  • edited October 2011
    Test post that contains a utf-8 character‽ Ok, that worked.
    It looks like my older posts that contained utf-8 got mangled.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • edited October 2011
    Can you change the width? --Or rather, will you? It's easy to do, in the theme, just change the CSS. I think it looks better. But it should still not be so wide that people with 1024px screen width (minus the Windows/Metacity window borders) can't see the sidebar without scrolling. To achieve this, change #Body width to 1000px and #Content width to 745px. Also, as it is now, if your window is smaller than the page (Firefox) as mine usually is, this happens: image
    This can be fixed by changing width to 100% in .Menu
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Can you change the width? --Or rather, will you? It's easy to do, in the theme, just change the CSS. I think it looks better. But it should still not be so wide that people with 1024px screen width (minus the Windows/Metacity window borders) can't see the sidebar without scrolling. To achieve this, change #Body width to 1000px and #Content width to 745px. Also, as it is now, if your window is smaller than the page (Firefox) as mine usually is, this happens: image
    This can be fixed by changing width to 100% in .Menu
    It's not that simple. If you want, go make a Vanilla theme.
  • Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller... it's computers... San Dimas High School football rules!
  • It's not that simple. If you want, go make a Vanilla theme.
    Right, give me somewhere to upload this.
  • It's not that simple. If you want, go make a Vanilla theme.
    Right, give me somewhere to upload this.
    The official vanilla site?
  • Colors for threads that have been updated since last visit, please. It makes parsing the forum at a glance much easier.
  • Also, can we see who else is online, please?
  • edited October 2011
    Colors for threads that have been updated since last visit, please. It makes parsing the forum at a glance much easier.
    Go make a theme.
    Also, can we see who else is online, please?
    No. I actually think this feature is kinda dumb. It's also never accurate. Also, see above.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Colors for threads that have been updated since last visit, please. It makes parsing the forum at a glance much easier.
    I think that's what the yellow highlighted "new" is for.
  • Gender defaults to male in the new profiles. LOL.
  • Gender defaults to male in the new profiles. LOL.
    I wanted to completely remove it, but it's there by default.
  • This is a very specific thing, but the @_@ smiley makes it try to @ _.
  • This is a very specific thing, but the @_@ smiley makes it try to @ _.
    There is a plugin that will turn emoticons into graphics, but I don't think we want that. This is just a classic computer science problem.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't think Forum-software auto-linking to profiles akin to Twitter is a classic computer science problem. Also, images do not get auto-resized if you are not logged in. There's also the problem of the Vanilla developers taking cues from VBulletin. Which is mindbogglingly retarded.

EDIT: There's little reason to have a limit on time one can edit. Unless you prefer spam when you have to be out-fagged.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I don't think Forum-software auto-linking to profiles akin to Twitter is a classic computer science problem. Also, images do not get auto-resized if you are not logged in. There's also the problem of the Vanilla developers taking cues from VBulletin. Which is mindbogglingly retarded.
    The classic computer science problem is how to do you tell when something beginning with @ is a link to a user profile and when it isn't? You could try to query the database every time @ appears, but you would killl the database with a zillion queries. At the very least you would load the entire user list into memory on every hit. Not going to work.

Also, people are complaining again. Shut it.
  • Solution: Default to nothing, give the person the option of enabling said functionality on an @-by-@ basis. Problem solved.

An indentation being the only indication of a quoted piece of text is worrying. I'd rather have a clear indication that someone fucked up their HTML than this vague indentation that might or might not be a quotation.
  • Question, what even is the benefit to this update? And why did the migration kill the avatars, it's not like we can't have them anymore, so what's the deal with not migrating them?
  • Since there's such a short edit timeout, guess it's time to double post.
  • Question, what even is the benefit to this update? And why did the migration kill the avatars, it's not like we can't have them anymore, so what's the deal with not migrating them?
    My avatar migrated quite well. Also I believe that the upgrade gives better security at least.

• My avatar migrated quite well. Also I believe that the upgrade gives better security at least.
    Because security was ever a problem before. With the quantity of new 'features' added there's bound to be more shit that can go wrong and cause security risks, net result, nada.
  • Vanilla doesn't let me. I think it doesn't support Zip's made by Archive Manager. Also, do you want different colors with the custom theme? @Apreche: Making a custom theme takes 5 seconds. Making Vanilla's "analyze"-ing thing let me upload it has taken me like 2 hours without any progress =P
  • Vanilla doesn't let me. I think it doesn't support Zip's made by Archive Manager. Also, do you want different colors with the custom theme? @Apreche: Making a custom theme takes 5 seconds. Making Vanilla's "analyze"-ing thing let me upload it has taken me like 2 hours without any progress =P
    Don't ask me. Read their documentation. I've never tried to upload anything to them.

Also, I've been trying to clean some utf-8s. Not going so well.