This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• So far I like it, computer is able to go and make the forum really work with its size so no complaining from me.
  • edited October 2011
    This got me thinking, wouldn't buttons be easier to implement at the user's end. If anyone knows javascript, they could probably cook up a greasemonkey script.

Like this one that lets you remove a particular user's posts automatically. Which is oddly the only thing that shows up in Vanilla.

Also, there should be a hotkey text insert extension somewhere.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Honestly, I'm digging the autosave feature.
  • edited October 2011
    Rather funnily, the visit counts have been reset but the joining dates have not, so it looks like I have been visiting continuously since 2008. #funnyremarknotaomplaint (cool, auto hashtag recognition)
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Stop deleting posts you fuck.
  • Stop deleting posts you fuck.
    Fine, you shit.
  • I like the mobile site. Only complaint is that sign out is right below post comment. I foresee problems with that.
  • If I allow Twitter/Facebook/Google sign-ins then it allows people to bypass the application process.
  • Ah, I just noticed that this upgrade breaks one of my blog pages that utilized the ability to turn pages into rss feeds. Drat.
  • I like the bookmarks tab. I easily can star my frequently-checked threads and then just go to the bookmark tab to find them all without having to wade through a bunch of threads I don't are about. Awesome!
  • I like the bookmarks tab. I easily can star my frequently-checked threads and then just go to the bookmark tab to find them all without having to wade through a bunch of threads I don't are about. Awesome!
    It's funny because that was also available in the old forum, only not as intuitive or easy to find.

• ...And it looks like the search feature has been neutered. Damn.
  • ...And it looks like the search feature has been neutered. Damn.
    In what way?

• Is there a timer on the edit function now? Is there anyway that this can be removed?
  • Big images(like those in the Pony thread) are a bit more difficult to see on the mobile view. Don't know what the work-around for that would be, but just throwing it out there.
  • Any way to increase the width of YouTube videos?

It's funny because that was also available in the old forum, only not as intuitive or easy to find.
    Yep, I know the bookmarks feature was there. It was just so much of a pain to get to that it wasn't worth using for this purpose. I only used it to mark discussion that I wanted to refer back to but would probably sink. Now I can essentially use it as a filter with relative ease.

• Ok it looks like it is
    Is there a timer on the edit function now? Is there anyway that this can be removed?
    That's intentional. I definitely want to allow people to edit their posts. I edit almost every post I make for typos and such. However, in the past we have had many cases of users going back and erasing their own posts out of cowardice, spam, or troll reasons. So now there is a time limit. You have five minutes to edit and then your post is locked in forever.
  • Big images(like those in the Pony thread) are a bit more difficult to see on the mobile view. Don't know what the work-around for that would be, but just throwing it out there.
    Any way to increase the width of YouTube videos?

Both of these are bugs I already reported.
  • <3 the mobile view.
  • The avatar size is 50x50. If you upload a png, it's not so bad. Even so, it is a bug on their part of not using the php gd library properly.
  • All the meta-complaining you guys are doing is way annoying! Apreche, you should allow people bitching and complaining about unfixable shit - in 2 weeks. Until then, make a bug reporting thread, and punish people who complain somehow. Cluttering the bug thread (which ATM is this) complaints and complaints about complaints not being allowed is counter progressive if you want (functionality restored quickly and) bugs being fixed.
  • edited October 2011
    <3 the mobile view.</p>
    Loving the mobile view.
    Also noticing (at least sometimes) blockquote leaves strange html artifacts.

Post edited by jtvh on
  • <3 the mobile view.</p>
    Loving the mobile view.
    Also noticing (at least sometimes) blockquote leaves strange html artifacts.

Here's the problem with quoting. The quoting extension is looking for a username. In Vanilla 2 usernames are only allowed to have letters, numbers, and underscores. Some of our usernames don't comply. If you r username doesn't comply, the quote won't work when people quote you.

• 5 minutes is too short! Make it 10. What happens if you start editing at 4 min 50 sec. Can you still post even if it takes more than 10 seconds to type all your edit?
  • Is there any way to change my username?
  • edited October 2011
    5 minutes is too short! Make it 10. What happens if you start editing at 4 min 50 sec. Can you still post even if it takes more than 10 seconds to type all your edit?
    I have no idea. I think 10 is ok. I'll try to change it.
    Is there any way to change my username?
    Just go to your profile and change it. Just be aware that it will only let you use numbers, letters, and underscores until some point in the future.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • 5 minutes is too short! Make it 10. What happens if you start editing at 4 min 50 sec. Can you still post even if it takes more than 10 seconds to type all your edit?
    I have no idea. I think 10 is ok. I'll try to change it.
    Is there any way to change my username?
    Just go to your profile and change it. Just be aware that it will only let you use numbers, letters, and underscores until some point in the future.
    The box containing my name under "edit my account" is greyed out.
    Why is 5 minutes too short?